Why become a member? ×

Jamming

SaxyBassist

Hi all, just to update you all on my progress - I've been out to 2 jam nights in the last week and loved it did some Cream, SRV, Hendrix, Clapton et al which I love playing as I'm a sucker for a walking bass line! I'm used to performing (on Sax) so that helped, and everyone was very kind despite some bum notes and occasional loss of timing! Can't wait to go again and ultimately to get into a band would be well cool :D[size=4] [/size]

Glad you enjoyed it. I don't care for these sort of things much myself, always been in bands and miss the structure and defined people in defined roles, too self critical to allow myself the (inevitable when you're winging it) bum notes and too much of a control freak to go into something not knowing exactly what I'm doing. It would be nice to let go of that, like you seem to have no problem with it. Perhaps I missed a step before piling into a band.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1407838583' post='2524446']
Glad you enjoyed it. I don't care for these sort of things much myself, always been in bands and miss the structure and defined people in defined roles, too self critical to allow myself the (inevitable when you're winging it) bum notes and too much of a control freak to go into something not knowing exactly what I'm doing. It would be nice to let go of that, like you seem to have no problem with it. Perhaps I missed a step before piling into a band.
[/quote]

It's not for everyone - I do both but it's great social night and for me winging it is the best thrill - must be the improvising Sax player in me! ;)[size=4] [/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[quote name='eightbitraptor' timestamp='1407841256' post='2524477']
Congratulations :) Glad you're having an ace time.
[/quote]

Thanks yes I am :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1407838583' post='2524446']
[/quote]
You took the words right out of my mouth. It must have been while ....... oh help. Let's not go there!!

But seriously although I enjoy going to "Jam" nights I only join in on stuff I know, and generally when I know the people playing. I feel very insecure if called upon to actually "Jam" in the true sense.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1407847610' post='2524577']
You took the words right out of my mouth. It must have been while ....... oh help. Let's not go there!!

But seriously although I enjoy going to "Jam" nights I only join in on stuff I know, and generally when I know the people playing. I feel very insecure if called upon to actually "Jam" in the true sense.
[/quote]

I can understand that [size=4] - most of the stuff was blues based so fairly easy to improvise over/wing it :)[/size]

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1407847838' post='2524583']
You're not alone - musical knowledge is the key to knowing what to do IMHO
[/quote]

Yes I agree - it certainly helps :)[size=4] ..... [/size][size=4]now I have to get my technique polished! [/size] :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1407847610' post='2524577']
[/quote]

But does it count as a "Jam" if you are playing songs that everyone knows? Surely that's just playing covers?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1407857506' post='2524731']
But does it count as a "Jam" if you are playing songs that everyone knows? Surely that's just playing covers?
[/quote]

That's what they usually call it when people get up and play stuff they've not rehearsed together before ;)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1407857506' post='2524731']
[/quote]

It's not a prerequisite that everyone knows the songs. It makes you think on your feet and that's what I like about it.

Jamming is an invaluable passtime for a serious musician, particularly in their early formative years. You can practice all you like in your bedroom, but getting together with other musicians and putting what you've learned to the test and hearing it in some kind of context is hugely beneficial - it focuses the mind. My guess is that many of those that say, "I don't do jamming" are actually inhibited and scared of making a fool of themselves. It can be great fun and, as I said, hugely beneficial.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1407858516' post='2524746']
It's not a prerequisite that everyone knows the songs. It makes you think on your feet and that's what I like about it.
[/quote]

Yep you've hit the nail on the head!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407860735' post='2524782']
I rarely know the songs at a jam night, "you do know it", "I don't", "you do its in A and goes like... a 2 3 4.." :D
[/quote]

Yes lol great fun!

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1407861749' post='2524800']
Jamming is an invaluable passtime for a serious musician, particularly in their early formative years. You can practice all you like in your bedroom, but getting together with other musicians and putting what you've learned to the test and hearing it in some kind of context is hugely beneficial - it focuses the mind. My guess is that many of those that say, "I don't do jamming" are actually inhibited and scared of making a fool of themselves. It can be great fun and, as I said, hugely beneficial.
[/quote]

It is invaluable and in my case cured any nerves - saved me from being terrified at my first ever real gig on the Sax and hopefully will to the same with the bass :D[size=4] [/size]

[/quote]

Got to agree with this. Jamming (not covers) can be great for confidence. It also helps if you get it together with the drummer, then you are both right and the others can try to follow / keep up with you.

[quote name='SaxyBassist' timestamp='1407858197' post='2524738']
That's what they usually call it when people get up and play stuff they've not rehearsed together before ;)
[/quote]

Although from what I read on hear there seem to be plenty of covers bands that operate in this way - they individually learn the songs and the only time they ever play them together as a band is when they are gigging.

[/quote]

I would completely agree with this. However from personal experience I can't see jamming being at all interesting for anyone who isn't actually playing. I finding jamming invaluable for breaking through writing blocks when I can't work out what should happen next in a song or for fine tuning the parts I can hear in my head but my fingers haven't quite got to grips with yet, but I wouldn't want to inflict these processes upon anyone who wasn't actually a member of my band.

IME an evening of jamming will usually produce the parts and basic structure for a couple of 2 1/2 minute songs. Not a particularly high ratio of good to boring music.

I never bothered with Jam nights because they pretty much all ended up as solo acoustic guitar playing singers playing
their own songs or a band getting up en masse.There was never any actual jamming.

With regards to playing songs that everyone knows-I think, for the most part, it's better to have a form to the jam otherwise
they tend to descend in to a one chord vamp (usually in E minor) that goes nowhere. That's why a lot of people jam on a Blues,
it gives you a form.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1407926884' post='2525358']

Although from what I read on hear there seem to be plenty of covers bands that operate in this way - they individually learn the songs and the only time they ever play them together as a band is when they are gigging.

I would completely agree with this. However from personal experience I can't see jamming being at all interesting for anyone who isn't actually playing. I finding jamming invaluable for breaking through writing blocks when I can't work out what should happen next in a song or for fine tuning the parts I can hear in my head but my fingers haven't quite got to grips with yet, but I wouldn't want to inflict these processes upon anyone who wasn't actually a member of my band.

IME an evening of jamming will usually produce the parts and basic structure for a couple of 2 1/2 minute songs. Not a particularly high ratio of good to boring music.
[/quote]
I don't think anyone sees that in the same way as you? I don't want to jam unknown songs with your band unless I'm in your band so what you are doing us writing songs, there is a level of covers band musicians that operate on a basis of knowing or learning a set list and playing the gig like that but much more often at least a few people will be regular members with a couple of dep players at most, me being one of two dep players in a five piece band is the most I've done. A jam night to me is a stage full of unknowns often not proclaiming to be session dep players that know all the stops, sometimes some of them have never performed live before ever, some on other instruments, some players are ace but can't jam as they have learnt stuff parrot fashion so if the drummer makes it a bit too rocky or not rocky enough they are screwed, other players appear less able but have good ears and can adapt to the vibe of the song often a song they have never heard of before, this is before you get into what key to do the song in etc

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I don't see any downside to jamming, as long as everyone is listening and reacting to each other. The problem for me
is when it becomes a stagnant one chord vamp or Blues which is purely for a guitar player to solo over. Sound familiar?
The jams I enjoy most are the ones that start off with a form and start moving around as everyone reacts to one an other and takes
it to another place.
Playing the stock arrangement of Saw Her Standing There with different people isn't really a jam unless it naturally evolves into something else, as far as I'm concerned, because rarely there are any jam qualities-everyone is usually playing their part the same
way that they always have. That's why I prefer a Jazz jam....they can open up into a more reactionary situation where you have to
listen intently rather than playing stock parts.

Edited by Doddy

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1407941410' post='2525552']
I don't see any downside to jamming, as long as everyone is listening and reacting to each other. The problem for me
is when it becomes a stagnant one chord vamp or Blues which is purely for a guitar player to solo over. Sound familiar?
The jams I enjoy most are the ones that start off with a form and start moving around as everyone reacts to one an other and takes
it to another place.
Playing the stock arrangement of Saw Her Standing There with different people isn't really a jam unless it naturally evolves into something else, as far as I'm concerned, because rarely there are any jam qualities-everyone is usually playing their part the same
way that they always have. That's why I prefer a Jazz jam....they can open up into a more reactionary situation where you have to
listen intently rather than playing stock parts.
[/quote]
"listening and reacting to each other" is something that can be learnt. I would fully expect a young musicians early experience in jamming to be a musically basic affair. There's a lot to be learnt from a "one chord vamp or Blues", providing all involved are enthusiastic and perhaps of a similar standard. Of course, the more interesting jams come with knowledge and experience, where a musician is able to steer a jam. Some of the most exciting music I've heard has been from a bunch of guys jamming.