Why become a member? ×

to finger or not

christhammer666

I have always played with the fingers and recently started experimenting with the pick. While I still have a long way to go before I am confident enough to use it at a gig, I think I am making fairly good progress. As has been said already, the more "tools" you have available at your disposal the better.

For all those who have said they tried using a pick but gave up because of lack of progress, perhaps you should check out this link from Carol Kaye's site. It has certainly helped me.

See tips # 26 & 27 :

[url="https://www.carolkaye.com/www/education/tips1.htm"]https://www.carolkaye.com/www/education/tips1.htm[/url]

I didnt use a pick at all for 6 or 7 years, just got out of the habit and fingers suited what I was playing at the time.

Now I'm playing with two bands where I could use more 'attack' to my sound, and cant get the hang of using a pick again, having old numb fingers isnt helping.

So my advice is best use both, at least some of the time, even if its just when your noodling about on your own.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

It appears from the answers to this thread that players who start with a pick have a much easier time adapting to playing with fingers, than finger styler players do learning how to play with a pick.

That's certainly my case. When I got my first bass as someone who was already playing guitar I used a pick. When, some 10 years later I came back the the bass guitar after mostly playing keyboards I made a concerted effort to play finger style and was able to adapt to it and use either technique as required by the song in a matter of weeks.

Another dyed-in-the-wool fingerstyle player here.

Back when I started playing , there was a very definite snobbery about pick versus fingers, and I was very much in the fingers camp. Over time though, I have really come to see the folly of that division, and I see picking as just another technique that can sound great , just like slapping. I wish I could use a pick better than I can currently, but it is just so alien to me. I have never owned a regular six string guitar , so that doesn't help either.

Some things only sound right with a pick, especially a lot of pick-mute playing that can only really be executed that way. Not just the sound either, but the overall feel of a bassline changes radically with a pick. I am trying to improve with a pick , but it is slow progress at the moment, mostly because I don't practice it enough. It just seems so wrong.

Edited by Dingus

Mostly fingers for me - the sound I usually have is pretty aggressive so sounds pickish anyway. Recently been learning some Iron Maiden tunes and fingers for sure there - can't get across the strings fast enough with a pick although the 'galloping' trademark was easier to play consistently with a pick until I'd practised 3-finger technique enough.

Sometimes revert to a pick after a few hours of practice though if the blisters start to form...

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1407337627' post='2519578']
Mostly fingers for me - the sound I usually have is pretty aggressive so sounds pickish anyway. Recently been learning some Iron Maiden tunes and fingers for sure there - can't get across the strings fast enough with a pick although the 'galloping' trademark was easier to play consistently with a pick until I'd practised 3-finger technique enough.

Sometimes revert to a pick after a few hours of practice though if the blisters start to form...
[/quote]

Yeah, theres another point, practice it using 3 fingers. A lot of people only seem to use two.

Really, just do whatever you want. Obviously it is beneficial to be able to utilise a variety of techniques and styles. But it's your playing. Don't get pigeonholed as a pick player or whatever and do what you enjoy and what feels right. For what it's worth, I played guitar for years before bass, so was playing only with a pick when I started. I wanted to learn finger style because I liked the tone. Now, I can appreciate both techniques in different circumstances. But, don't feel you have to play a certain way because it is proper.

I only use a pick for one or two songs that we do as the song sounds better for it, but every time I do I end up thinking to myself, I HAVE to practice with a pick more, because when I do have to use one it feels clumsy. I watched a recording of me using a pick at a gig and you can tell I'm not entirely comfortable with it. So as others have said, I don't use one often but it's still important to keep yourself comfortable and familiar with as many techniques as possible, so that when the need arises you don't feel like you're suddenly struggling.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1407356081' post='2519812']
I am very much a learner, however, the three instructors I have used (different locations) have insisted I learn with fingers before moving to a pick.
[/quote]
Have they said why? Not that I'm sayjng they're wrong, I have no idea what the best teaching methods are so that could be entirely normal procedure, I'm just curious.

I've played finger style for most of my life, having started on double bass. When I tried pick it was a bit craps so I went back to fingers. The thing that changed this was taking up guitar and now it's much better. It comes in really handy to be able to use a pick when. I get the Bass vi out.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1407267119' post='2519045']
I ONLY play finger style. Can't play with a pick for toffee :P
[/quote] <<< This. I've never been able to play with a pick to the point I'm marvelled by people who do. Eh, no harm in doing both! Variety is the spice of life as they say :)

I am very much a learner, however, the three instructors I have used (different locations) have insisted I learn with fingers before moving to a pick.
[/quote]

Like ern500evo, I too would be interested to hear the reasoning/logic behind such insistance.

Depends how proficient you need to be or want to be.
It is a lot of work to keep up all these skills and I still think you
will go with the style that suits the type of music you listen to and play.
You'll spend as much time trying to get pick playing down as you will
to perfect fingerstyle.
You'll have a strenght and a preference but to alternate beyond a basic level..
and sometimes that may be all you need... seems to be splitting your practice times.
How often do people practice and what do they concentrate on..

I'd agree that if a fingerstyle player, it might be nice to have a pick option but it isn't going to
be that advanced, IMO..and therefore you might ask wouldn't it be better served getting the
fingerstyle to do.
If styles don't cross over... and one style IS better than another for certain genres, typically,
then choose one as your default style... and use the other for basic non complicated parts.

For example... solid straight 8's sound great on pick... harder to do on fingers really well, ( that in
itself should be a goal ) and softer ballard numbers might need the gentle sound and strokes of fingers.

As with all these things.... the limitations are with the player and how they hear/conceptualise things, IME.
That is why I say you'll follow what you are most influened by.

[/quote]

Probably because they play that way themselves...( I don't know any pick playing teachers ) and are waiting to see what type of stuff the student wants
to follow. I'd ask who/what they listen to and explain the reasons for starting on fingers and what is in front of them but if I wa convinced they wanted to
play this stuff and liked that player, I'd advise accordingly.
Depends how old they are.... I started with a pick as I was listening to that stuff... and then 3 years later, I swapped.
I'd be aware that the student might do that as well.

[/quote]

Based on the evidence here, it appears that going from pick to fingers is easier than the other way around.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1407406065' post='2520115']
My right hand cramps up if I play too long with a pick, I'd suggest playing a couple of pick tracks then revert to fingers for say four songs rather than doing a solid half hour with a pick at first :)

I appreciate what jtuk is saying about "keep up all these styles" but we are talking fingers and pick not two handed tapping and intricate chordal work, man up and learn whichever one it is you don't do currently folks :lol:
[/quote]

My right hand cramps up if I play too long with a pick, if suggest playing a couple of pick tracks then revert to fingers for say four songs rather than doing a solid half hour with a pick at first :)

I appreciate what jtuk is saying about "keep up all these styles" but we are talking fingers and pick not two handed tapping and intricate chordal work, man up and learn whichever one it is you don't do currently folks :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977