Why become a member? ×

What madness is this!?!

Painy

Just seen a listing on eBay - item number 151368795060 if you want to have a look. A Peavey 3620 cab containing 2 18" drivers topped off with a further 2 10s. I could actually feel my vertebrae starting to turn to dust just looking at the pictures! I'm sure it sounds volcanic but what on earth would possess anyone to design such a thing?

Edited by Painy

He's breaching eBay's (self-serving) policy by not allowing PayPal payment - not even a small deposit.

Other things that spring to mind:
(1) The scene from Back to the Future with the massive speaker.
(2) The growing problem of 'beds in sheds'.

And no, it won't sell, despite being 'super-rare', because nobody wants one!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407086089' post='2517193']
I'd be very interested how they x-over as I can see that cab being so bass heavy
that the 10's would be pretty useless..
[/quote]
[troll] The 18s for bass and the 10s for top end, obviously. [/troll]

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1407091103' post='2517252']
Seeing as a Peavey 410 is over 100lbs, this seriously must weigh the same as The Moon. If he sells it it could cause an inbalance in The Earths gravity.
[/quote]
Laughed like a drain and disturbed Mrs Axe watching Country File!

Seeing as a Peavey 410 is over 100lbs, this seriously must weigh the same as The Moon. If he sells it it could cause an inbalance in The Earths gravity.
[/quote]

At the risk of verging close to politics (sorry!)...an attempt to achieve Scottish Independence by accelerated tectonic shift?

[/quote]
Don't worry about it. That'll never sell.

Is funny. When I posted this I thought I'd better not mention what a 'little Hitler' the seller seemed to be incase he was a bc member but I guess there's no pulling punches here. It's possible the seller is crazier than the item he's selling!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1407074119' post='2517026']
what on earth would possess anyone to design such a thing?
[/quote]When it was designed 30 odd years ago the driver limitations of the day (note that it only handled 400 watts) made such monsters useful. Today you can top it with a good 2x12.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1407240324' post='2518625']
When it was designed 30 odd years ago the driver limitations of the day (note that it only handled 400 watts) made such monsters useful. Today you can top it with a good 2x12.
[/quote]

Purely out of curiosity Bill, could it be improved with modern drivers?

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1407240752' post='2518635']
Purely out of curiosity Bill, could it be improved with modern drivers?
[/quote]Yes, but instead of an underperforming monstrosity you'd have a fairly well performing monstosity. It would still be a monstrosity. A far better investment would be modern drivers in a modern cab half the size and weight that works better.

I've got the 1820 too. Used to gig with it. It had casters on the bottom so wheeled around nicely. I could tip it up and slide it in the back of my Subaru Legacy so no issues there. Sounded huge as well - felt like somebody kicking you n the calves when you stood in front of it. It now lives permanently in the rehearsal room.