Why become a member? ×

Keeping Your Mo Jo Working With Small Crowds

blue

[size=4][font=Arial]Last Saturday Night my band played a show at a new venue for the band. The place was out in the middle of no where, the owner is trying to build a live music clientele. I counted 20 of our fans and a few regulars, at the end of the day I wouldn't even call it a respectable turn out.[/font]

[font=Arial][b]Off topic[/b]: How do you build a live music clientele especially with a blues/rock act. Unlike my generation that loved and supported the genre and live bands in general, now, the 20 something's walk away when they see us and we have a 20 something female front playing blistering 70s style solos. [/font]

[font=Arial]I say, you really can't build a clientele at the local bar/club circuit level.[/font]

[font=Arial][b]Back on topic[/b], while I'm a veteran performer I still struggle with staying energetic and engaged when my band is faced with small and unresponsive crowds.[/font]

[font=Arial]What are your suggestions and thoughts?[/font]

Blue[/size]

Edited by blue

I used to go to jazz gigs locally, with a mate of mine. Sometimes there'd be fewer than 10 people at a gig, and one of them would be the press. The musos never let it get to them, but then perhaps it's just that jazz is a self-obsessed kind of music. I also went to a Alan Price gig at the Hull music festival - I think there were about 20 punters there in the basement floor of a shopping mall. The place was covered in white tiles and Alan Price said something like 'thank you for inviting me to play in your toilet,' but then proceeded with his ace band, to give a performance as if we were 20 000 of us in a stadium.

I'm not sure if there's any real recipe; I think it's always been a case of either...

1 - Play what you want to play (often limited appeal, whatever the 'genre'...)

... or ...

2 - Play what they want to come to hear (... but it might not 'float your boat' as a musician...).

Sometimes one can get lucky enough to do both at once (and that's a Good Thing...), but the crowds will flock more to the second than the first.
Just my tuppence-worth.

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1406761857' post='2514601']
I used to go to jazz gigs locally, with a mate of mine. Sometimes there'd be fewer than 10 people at a gig, and one of them would be the press. The musos never let it get to them, but then perhaps it's just that jazz is a self-obsessed kind of music. I also went to a Alan Price gig at the Hull music festival - I think there were about 20 punters there in the basement floor of a shopping mall. The place was covered in white tiles and Alan Price said something like 'thank you for inviting me to play in your toilet,' but then proceeded with his ace band, to give a performance as if we were 20 000 of us in a stadium.
[/quote]

Yeah, pros know how to pull that off. They play the same to 5 people as they do to 5,000. I guess that's why They're pros.

Blue

We tend to have a power and energy that it is hard to ignore, so that is the plus side, but
of course, it is hard to get interested playing to a poor turn-out.
We accept it is our total responsibility to turn out but you also have to accept, IMO,
some venues aren't right for you.
There are many pubs we just will not play...and the follow-on from that is that we
can struggle a bit in pubs..particuarly new ones, but then for special gigs we
can draw very well....and these are ticketed, so the two don't really marry up in
any sense.
And because we aren't predominately a pub band, and our set is more middle ground/modern
we aren't lumped with the pub rock bands.and so when
we take parties, we aren't confined by their limited appeal ( hard rock and birthdays tend not
to mix ) and more, importantly, their fees.

I think we have positioned ourselves as to what and where we want to play as opposed to
starting in the pubs and staying there. We certainly arfen't a function band either...so I'd put us
firmly in the party/festival band camp , but we don't play a specific chummy party set.

Most gigs we may look to throw in a few originals as well...

If we're playing to three men and a dog then we make our own entertainment. The usual level of banter gets cranked right up, and we frequently start to engage with the punters as individuals rather than as 'the audience'.

You get a very different vibe to the gig, but it can be a lot of fun.

Building a following? Tends to happen from being good, and having good shows worth coming to see, so the two kind of go hand on hand (almost 19, gigging for 6 years now)

We've played shows to literally two people and usually play to 100 or but it's not uncommon for it to be next to no one, first show in a while tonight will be anywhere between 30 and 150 depending (since we're now one first, boo!) But the biggest show I've done was 1200 odd, excluding stand mini festivals etc

We once played this crazy vegan hippie bar in the middle of no where, impossible to find, place usually sells out but the night we played there was only 1 person and the bar staff, but we still had a good time.

Loving to play and loving to play live I find is a big part of it, and it's all about energy. The crowd gets excited over energy you feed them, and vice versa, you feed them so they feed you. I think just focusing on having a good time, and being aware the crowd should be having one too and it will all kind of fall into place. Just my 2p anyway!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1406763118' post='2514609']
Yeah, pros know how to pull that off. They play the same to 5 people as they do to 5,000. I guess that's why They're pros.

Blue
[/quote]

It's got nothing to do with being pro, it's just a question of having the right attitude. If you don't have it then you probably shouldn't be playing in a gigging band.

You never know who's in the audience. There may only be 5 people there but they might be the 5 most important people that you will ever be playing too.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1406795055' post='2514708']

It's got nothing to do with being pro, it's just a question of having the right attitude. If you don't have it then you probably shouldn't be playing in a gigging band.

You never know who's in the audience. There may only be 5 people there but they might be the 5 most important people that you will ever be playing too.
[/quote]

I agree with this one, particularly the second point. It's a powerful argument and one I've used on grumbling band mates.

One band I'm in all get the right ump when there isnt a massive crowd.... pisses me off so much I nearly told them to foxtrot oscar.

I personally think that if there is no crowd then the band hasn't done enough promotion but the ones who are there should get the best show possible regardless.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1406795055' post='2514708']

[/quote]

Spot on. I love gigging and every audience I play to is the most important one to date. For me having that mindset is crucial to playing and performing well.

My band has 3 static members (two guitarists and the drummer, who can't help not moving about….) so the singer and I always make sure that we entertain, as well as perform. You have to put on a show and create a reputation for being a good band to [i]see[/i] as well as hear; if folks want to listen to music then they turn the radio on, if they've come to see a band then the onus is on delivering the goods visually too.

I must admit I do get a bit brassed off if there rant many people there! I tend to try and turn it round though, the other week I walked out into the room while playing, and did side to side shooting motion, just for a bit of fun, they all cheered and looked more animated so seemed to have a positive effect!