Why become a member? ×

Overwater or Yamaha?

zvirus

Hi,

Could You give me some advice please.
I would like to buy a bass under £200 and convert it into fretless and have two basses in my mind:

Yamaha TRBX 174

and

Overwater Aspiration Standard Pearl White 4 stings Active Bass

Both same price range. Converting will cost me around £100

What shall i do? My local luthier said go for Yamaha... but fell in love with Overwater`s sound.

I've got two Overwaters (Tanglewood ones), a classic J and contemporary J and a Yamaha TRBX 504. So whilst they're a range above what you're looking at I can compare these for you.

In my opinon, the Overwaters have the better sound and good playability but are heavy with only decent build quality. The Yamaha is superbly built, flawless in fact, is ultra-easy to play and is really light but lacks that lovely sound that the Overwaters have. It doesn't sound nice and special and doesn't cut through as well as the Overwaters do. I gig the Yamaha and record with the Overwaters.

But see if you can find a proper fretless first. That way you can try it out and won't have an unpleasant surprise if the conversion takes away some of the mojo of the bass.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1404392679' post='2492229']
rather than buy a bass at 200 and spend 100 quid on converting to a fretless... why not just buy a fretless?
i'm sure you could get some decent options for under 300 if you look around
[/quote]

Hello Everyone,

Made up my mind and went for.... VINTAGE V74MRJP FRETLESS... :)
Its on its way to me now...

Many people claiming its far better bass than F Squier VM Fretless , buying Squier I leave the shop and just lost £100 in value(!)

After all Its just beggining of my journey with the fretless and I do not need Fancy Big name on my bass`s head ?

I agree now, converting will be lot of hassles and a week or two wasted in my life its a lot as Im almost 40 yo.

Thank You all for participating!

Edited by zvirus

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1404414836' post='2492500']
I've got two Overwaters (Tanglewood ones), a classic J and contemporary J and a Yamaha TRBX 504. So whilst they're a range above what you're looking at I can compare these for you.

In my opinon, the Overwaters have the better sound and good playability but are heavy with only decent build quality. The Yamaha is superbly built, flawless in fact, is ultra-easy to play and is really light but lacks that lovely sound that the Overwaters have. It doesn't sound nice and special and doesn't cut through as well as the Overwaters do. I gig the Yamaha and record with the Overwaters.

But see if you can find a proper fretless first. That way you can try it out and won't have an unpleasant surprise if the conversion takes away some of the mojo of the bass.
[/quote]

My fretted GMR weights 8 or 9 kilos (18 pounds) and You can feel it after just an hour of practicing! But..... the sounds it makes... I llove it.
Thanks for the comparison!

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1404378032' post='2491981']
Yamaha everyday of the week for me!

Yamaha's should be a lot more expensive than they are in my opinion.

I rarely see an Overwater in music shops which means they don't sell - which there'll be reason for.
[/quote]
.. or that they have more money and a bigger name to get the distribution set up right.

I rarely see an Overwater in music shops which means they don't sell - which there'll be reason for.
[/quote]

Overwater basses sell just fine, the high end (and custom) versions usually come directly from
their gaff up at Carlisle, a good service for their strings as well.
http://overwaterbasses.com

Yamaha's should be a lot more expensive than they are in my opinion.
[/quote]

To be fair, that's like comparing apples and oranges. One is a mass-produced Japanese instrument from a company that also make guitars, effects, keyboards, outboard motors and motorbikes(!) and the other is a range of (mostly) hand-built British basses.

Overwater probably sell as many as they need/want to...

Good to hear that the OP is happy though - those Vintages are mighty fine basses by all reports! B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404457873' post='2492730']

To be fair, that's like comparing apples and oranges. One is a mass-produced Japanese instrument from a company that also make guitars, effects, keyboards, outboard motors and motorbikes(!) and the other is a range of (mostly) hand-built British basses.

Overwater probably sell as many as they need/want to...

Good to hear that the OP is happy though - those Vintages are mighty fine basses by all reports! B)
[/quote]

I think in this case, the OP may be referring to a mass produced (Korean?) 'Overwater by Tanglewood' bass rather than the custom instruments?

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1404459447' post='2492745']
I think in this case, the OP may be referring to a mass produced (Korean?) 'Overwater by Tanglewood' bass rather than the custom instruments?
[/quote]

Oh right! Yes, at that price it would have to be, wouldn't it? :blush:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404460090' post='2492746']

Oh right! Yes, at that price it would have to be, wouldn't it? :blush:
[/quote]

I would say so. The Yamaha basses are nice but seem to have a bit of a loyal fan base who seem a bit bias to me. I've played a fair few that have come through the local shops near me and I think they're ok for theon ey but I don't see why some many people love them. All of the Overwater by Tanglewoods that I've ever played have been excellent though. Quality, finish, great electronics and don't feel like a budget bass. Id never buy one new off the shelf as you're pretty much throwing your money away as they depreciate so much but at a second hand price, the Overwaters are awesome value for money.

Just my opinion though (let's clear that up before the crazy Yamaha fanboys come to get me!)

I had one of the Cheaper Overwaters and thought it was bloody fantastic well I sat cheaper was still around 650 quid lol but the Yamahas are great basses also try both if you can I think the Yamaha will be the far better bass in that price range and they are built like tanks :)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1404466035' post='2492823']

I see plenty of Overwaters in the music shops around where i live.
[/quote]
I wish I did. Id like to try one. I get bored of the usual aray of Fender. Yamaha and Ibanez

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1404466791' post='2492832']
I wish I did. Id like to try one. I get bored of the usual aray of Fender. Yamaha and Ibanez
[/quote]
I agree that that's the usual ones they stock but all of the guitar shops around my way that stock Tanglewood have at least a couple of Overwater by Tanglewood basses.

[quote name='zvirus' timestamp='1404455694' post='2492717']

Hello Everyone,

Many people claiming its far better bass than F Squier VM Fretless , buying Squier I leave the shop and just lost £100 in value(!)

After all Its just beggining of my journey with the fretless and I do not need Fancy Big name on my bass`s head ?

I agree now, converting will be lot of hassles and a week or two wasted in my life its a lot as Im almost 40 yo.

Thank You all for participating!
[/quote]

Congrats man, I had one of those and it was ace! Wish I still had it actually.

A great place to start your fretless journey, and not a moment of it will be a waste of time if you're having fun ;)

Enjoy! :)

[quote name='zvirus' timestamp='1404455694' post='2492717']

[/quote]
Squiers are no different to most other basses. As soon as you take any new bass out of a shop it's lost a large percentage of it's value.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1404488661' post='2493161']
Congrats man, I had one of those and it was ace! Wish I still had it actually.

A great place to start your fretless journey, and not a moment of it will be a waste of time if you're having fun ;)

Enjoy! :)
[/quote]

I hope I`ll enjoy ... BTW it costed me just £207 with shipping for brand new one....

My local store stocks the Tanglewood Overwaters along with many Fender copies (mostly Squier) - it's refreshing to see something a bit different in music stores TBH. We tried the "Tanglewoods" at LBGS 2013 and I thought they felt more expensive than the price on the tag.

There have been a spate of these for sale at about £200 on ebay recently - IIRC one sold for about £60 which seems an absolute steal for a bass this good.

Bit late really as you've already spent your money.

Afterthought: are sure about the weight of your GMR?? Surely it can't be 9kgs..

Edited by TheGreek

I have an Overwater by Tanglewood Classic J and a Yamaha BB425x - they are both great - different sound even though they both have a P/J set up. I'd say that the Yam has a more growly sound and the Classic J more mellow.

YMMV - of course