Why become a member? ×

Jazz dilemma, what to do...?

sykilz

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1404235959' post='2490685']
Option 5....

Keep them both.
Get a better strap for the Yamaha so that the weight thing isn't an issue.
Even if you love the precision sound like anything, there will be a day in the next 3-4 years where you hanker after a jazz type tone. Having both isn't a bad thing!
[/quote]

Agree with this. I`ve just bought a Mono GS1 "The Betty" strap, and used it for the first time this eve, for 3hrs. I didn`t notice any difference at the time, but now I`m back home I can tell the difference quite easily. My left shoulder, where my 10lb Precision gets slung over doesn`t even feel like I`ve been playing.

Good strap, keep both basses. Sorted!

Additionally re pickups, I had Seymour Duncan Hotstack in my Aerodyne. Tonewise it sounded just like the stock pickup but "more", plus it was hum-cancelling. I`d recommend these if you don`t want a change in tone from the regular Jazz sound.

Edited by Lozz196

Changing the pickups is probably a good thing to do - my choices would be Wizard/HotRod Hammers, Entwistle or GFS. None of these are too pricey and even if you don't get on with them you can probably sell them on here at not too much of a loss.

But maybe try the pickup heights and STRINGS first? What strings are you currently using? Sometimes a change of brand (or even gauge) can make a big difference to your sound. Much cheaper than pickups too (unless you go down the Entwistle route - they are seriously cheap!).

Nothing else really sounds like a Jazz - so if you crave that tone, don't sell it!

Another option - Keep your Jazz neck and buy this ....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240216-loaded-ash-pj-jazz-body/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/240216-loaded-ash-pj-jazz-body/[/url]

And yes, it s mine!

Personally, I don't think adding a J-retro, or different J pickups will change the inherent sound of a Jazz. East preamps are great (and I have owned several) but in the end they are still only EQ control. It sounds like you crave a P pickup in the neck position. Personally, I think PJ's offer virtually everything a Jazz can do PLUS that big Precision sound. It's a no brainer.

Other option, of course, is to have your MIM Jazz routed for a P pickup in the neck position. Not sure how much a luthier would charge but it's a fairly simple job for anyone handy with a router or a Dremel. Making your own Scratchplate (as you would need a new one) using a Dremel is a also a piece of pi$$.

I have a Modern Player jazz neck on my Matt Freeman P-bass. It works really well for me and is currently my "go-to" bass.

It sounds similar but not quite as dark as a Yamaha BB (I have a BB425X).

Thanks to all so far, there seems to be a slight edge toward trying different pups, and that maybe what I try first, at least if done carefully then I can recoup some of the cost if not to my taste. I've not done a full gig with the Yamaha yet, will try friday and hope it doesn't weigh me down too much,if not then I'll happily gig it as my main bass and take my time with the jazz, I just don't want it to be a money pit!!

Great opinions, truly surprised by the number of people who have taken time to reply, thanks. Or perhaps lots of people have been in the same situation....!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1404306601' post='2491377']
... Or perhaps lots of people have been in the same situation....!
[/quote]
My friends used to run book on how long a new instrument would last before I started messing..

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1404307894' post='2491407']

My friends used to run book on how long a new instrument would last before I started messing..
[/quote]
Superb! Sad thing is from 1991 to 2008 I had one bass, a Washburn 5 string, then got back in a band after two year off, and the internet had happened. Too much information not always good for the wallet!

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1404311500' post='2491460']
...then got back in a band after two year off, and the internet had happened. Too much information not always good for the wallet!
[/quote]

Too true :P sometimes I think of Basschat as more curse than blessing!

Love you all really though!

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1404334091' post='2491751']
One thing to remember, a Jazz is a Jazz. You can change the pickups, wiring, etc... but the tone is locked into the instrument thanks to the pickup locations.
[/quote] - and should be celebrated thus!

If you're a top pro then you may need a back up of your main bass .... unless bass playing is your profession then embrace the difference between basses. Precision, Jazz...

Stingray next.... :D

Just one other suggestion to throw in there - have you thought about adding a series-parallel switch to the Jazz? It's a reasonably straightforward modification, and gives you vaguely p-like tone as an alternative to the usual Jazz tones (and costs significantly less than the GASier alternatives!)

[quote name='wingnutkj' timestamp='1404380780' post='2492028']
Just one other suggestion to throw in there - have you thought about adding a series-parallel switch to the Jazz? It's a reasonably straightforward modification, and gives you vaguely p-like tone as an alternative to the usual Jazz tones (and costs significantly less than the GASier alternatives!)
[/quote]
I did indeed and have got a quote from Kiogon on here for one, this along with the Dimarzio pups I like will cost about £150, and is an option that looks very do-able.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1404397471' post='2492290']
Keep an eye on the other items for sale section here. Buy replacement pickups used and if they don't suit you, sell them again.
[/quote]

A good idea!
I would definitely keep the Jazz though...

I'm a convert to Jazz basses
I've got a Mex Roadworn, and the neck is just right for me
I love it to bits :)

If you replace the bass, I'm sure you'll regret not having that neck shape and profile you obviously like

Don't forget to let us know what you opt for, and how you get on

BTW. I love the sound from my Jazz pickups
But I guess each model has it's own differences etc

I went through a similar process a few years back. Had always used/preferred the feel of Jazz basses, but found I was increasingly hankering after a P-type sound (mostly as a result of listening to large doses of Stax & Motown!). Tried a few Precisions, loved the sound, but just didn't like the feel of the bass. Tried a few different pick-up types in my jazz, but just couldn't get the sound I was after.

In the end I decided to resort to customisation and have ended up with a Bitsa monster - original body from my MIJ Jazz, but new bridge, plate (x2), electrics, pick-ups, neck & tuners! I also had the body re-routed to make space for P pick-up in the same slot as the neck J pup. Now I can have the bass set up as a P/J which does a pretty convincing P sound, or with less than 10 mins work and a small screwdriver, make it a straight jazz again. Tone-wise, it's a super flexible bass, that feels exactly how I want it to.

[color=#222222]Sorry, forgot to add - all in, it cost more than you say you are willing to spend, but a chunk of that was on parts you might not feel the need to upgrade (neck, tuners, electrics, bridge). The routing and new plate to accommodate the P pup weren't excessively bad. The whole process was done over a period of time, which allowed me to spread the cost and buy new parts/upgrades as and when I had the resources.[/color]

Edited by Simon.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1404397471' post='2492290']
Keep an eye on the other items for sale section here. Buy replacement pickups used and if they don't suit you, sell them again.
[/quote]

Definitely! The only pickups I have bought new are GFS from the States, and they are really cheap! B)

[quote name='Simon.' timestamp='1404398532' post='2492299'] I was increasingly hankering after a P-type sound. Tried a few different pick-up types in my jazz, but just couldn't get the sound I was after. Now I can have the bass set up as a P/J which does a pretty convincing P sound,
[/quote]

It's funny, and maybe my ears aren't as discerning as others' - but I have always reckoned that a J neck pickup can do a very good approximation of a P bass. :)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404398787' post='2492303']
It's funny, and maybe my ears aren't as discerning as others' - but I have always reckoned that a J neck pickup can do a very good approximation of a P bass. :)
[/quote]
I used to think the same way, and to an extent, would still agree with you. However, even though the P pickup isn't in exactly the right position, it [i]is[/i] (to my ears, at least) noticeably more 'P' like than the neck J pickup running on it's own. Then again, maybe it's all psychosomatic - It [i]looks[/i] like P, therefore is should [i]sound[/i] like a P!

And it was a fun wee project! B)

The bass will, for the foreseeable future, be playing rock covers , in a live environment, I don't do originals and record anymore, so the sound doesn't have to be pure P bass, just be " thick" enough to provide the lovely lowness beneath the guitar onslaught!! I have been playing in my home the last few hours, and the feel of the jazz is just incredible, I really want to keep at least the neck, but the body is so well balanced and comfortable that I think I want to keep that too. I reckon, with much google to back me up, that the pup swap and series/ parallel switch may be the sensible route to go first, hopefully some used pups come up soon!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404398787' post='2492303']
[/quote]

I was going to say that in my last response
I honestly think the J bass can get a near P bass sound
But to my ear, it's just more flexible and adjustable....

One of my amps is a Markbass 102P
The VPF & VPL filters on there can help get more of a P sound

I think if you took the Jazz neck & put it on something else,
you may not get the balance quite the same
Of course, it could be an experiment that pays off
But for me, I know what you mean re the Jazz being incredible

There's just something about the playability of the neck
It's just the right depth, taper at the nut end, and broad enough at the base end of the neck
to really dig my fingers in between those strings...
the balance and feel of the body is superb, and the bass is not overly heavy

I love my Jazz - I've played lots of different basses, and still own several
but the Jazz always feels the best to play - even if I need one of the others to get the sound I want

If I were you, I'd keep the bass as it is, and any mods would be to the electrics / pickups
Leave the bass itself alone, as you like it so much
You may never quite get that feeling with another bass.......

As before, let us know what you decide, and how you get on
and good luck with it

Gig tonight, going to spend more time with my amp ( TC BH 500 into 4x10 ) and see if I can't tweak out a better,rockier tone by using the compression settings and the tube emulation thing, as other ( proper! ) bands always sound immense when you hear a jazz going through an old Ampeg or such like. That is not an affordable or practical solution for me, and like I say the Yamaha gives that ballsier tone, but the jazz is much more playable and comfortable too, as the post above says, I'm now feeling a bit reluctant to chop and change immediately, and will consider over the weekend if I should do the pup swap, there are a set of SD q.pounder jazz pups on here for sale, but I'd rather some hum cancelling ones if I'm going to do it.

[quote name='jrixn1' timestamp='1404299642' post='2491243']
I have a Modern Player jazz neck on my Matt Freeman P-bass. It works really well for me and is currently my "go-to" bass.

It sounds similar but not quite as dark as a Yamaha BB (I have a BB425X).

[/quote]

That is a beautiful Precision :gas:

For the OP, I'd recommend these if you've got the dollar for their sheer versatility. https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=bass&sub=vintage&pickup=60_pe&series=j_bass

Well, mucked around with amp on Fridays gig, and was very happy with the tone I got from the jazz, still could use a tad more mids, but I would hope a change in pups might help there. Sat we played a festival through a friends rig and big p.a and got very good reports about the sound of both bass and, more importantly, the band as a whole, so chuffed really, and watched some youtube clips taken there and it sounds immense! Interestingly the band on after us used a jazz, he sounded great, really deep yet plenty of snarly top too, they did classic metal,and then the headliners bassist used a single cut 6 string thing with fanned frets...don't know the make, sorry, but it sounded......dull, not muddy dull, just a bit sterile, they did pop numbers so was expecting a bright snappy sound.

So there we are, think I will go down the pup swap route for now, so glad not to have to do much more as I'm loving the weight, balance and feel of my jazz, if theres ever another thread about how good mex basses can be, if you spend a bit of time trying them out, you should find what you're looking for...! ( the mex p bass I tried was way heavier and the neck was like a telegraph pole thickness!)