Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

More great lost tunes from the 80s...

First up, this which features a cracking bassline from no less than Mark King

And on the subject of bass players, here's a long lost funky dance number from 1984 by Brilliant which featured Youth from Killing Joke and a pre-KLF Jimmy Cauty

Finishing off with the vastly underrated Fashion whose great album Fabrique has some tasty bass sounds..

18 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Finishing off with the vastly underrated Fashion whose great album Fabrique has some tasty bass sounds..

I loved Fabrique.  The original vinyl is up in the loft and I bought the reissue ('The Height Of Fashion') a few years back.  Dave Harris oversaw a multidisc (4CD) reissue a couple of years back, just couldn't justify the £140+ price and hoped it would turn up on Spotify at some point.

Most of the day I've been listening to the Super Deluxe of Thin Lizzy's Live & Dangerous.  I'm not a huge Lizzy fan by any stretch, but (much like UFOs Strangers In The Night super deluxe) it's interesting to hear how the band's playing differs over the shows.  It's all good, although I was disappointed there's nothing from when Midge Ure was gigging with them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KingBollock said:

Probably my second favourite Iron Maiden album, after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

I think Killers and the Seventh Son are both well mixed, they seem to sound crystal clear. 

Although Piece of Mind is probably my overall favourite as it  sounds raw mid range to me, drums are outstanding. When I first heard Seventh Son on LP a day or two after released I was already an established Maiden fan, but it was just like new dimension and still is. The quality of the sound has never been repeated and definitely not after Martin Burch' s departure.

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SH73 said:

I think Killers and the Seventh Son are both well mixed, they seem to sound crystal clear. 

Although Piece of Mind is probably my overall favourite as it  sounds raw mid range to me, drums are outstanding. When I first heard Seventh Son on LP a day or two after released I was already an established Maiden fan, but it was just like new dimension and still is. The quality of the sound has never been repeated and definitely not after Martin Burch' s departure.

Piece of mind might well come in third, for me. I think 3rd, 4th and 5th could be Piece of mind, Powerslave or Somewhere in time, in any order, depending on the time of day.

As much as I love Seventh Son and all the albums previous to it, I had to give up on them after that. Mostly due to Bruce’s voice. I swear it changed. I was never a Blaze Bayley fan either, despite Wolfsbane being fairly local and mates with a mate of mine (I actually still considered auditioning for them after Blaze left and the bass player followed).

Edited by KingBollock
  • Like 1

On 27/01/2023 at 16:43, KingBollock said:

Probably my second favourite Iron Maiden album, after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

The first 2 and Seventh Son are my go to Maiden albums. 
For me they're the only ones without a single filler track.

5 hours ago, DaveFry said:

Who says bass players cant sing. I can, P mac can, Jack b could, Phil Lynot did. Happy Jack does. Sorry all the thousands of bass players who can sing I missed. this guy aint one of them. Runs for cover🤣