Why become a member? ×

Broke the rules and the result was astounding

gafbass02

I've mentioned this before, but last night the result was jaw dropping.
On a whim my band once tried putting a bass cab either side of the stage (not DI'd, just backline filling the room) With a guitar combo on top of each bass cab (guitar is in stereo)
I should add here that in this band I'm the guitar player, but the bass player uses my rig.
Last night was a wedding at Cheltenham football club, pa for vocals only, a bergantino AE210 either side of the kit with guitar on top as usual. Now I'm aware that they should be stacked vertically etc etc but we've simply never had a bad result from doing this.
I should also add, those bergantino cabs just sound wonderful and consistent.

But last night was something else. No matter where you stood in the room, the bass sound stayed exactly the same, front to back, middle, left to right, in the corners, on the stage, it just stayed the same volume (pretty low, a wedding after all) clarity, punch, definition etc all stayed absolutely consistent at every spot.

It ended up with bemused looks from the bar staff as first me, then the drummer, then the bassist, then the sound engineer (a seasoned festival/top level pro) all went wandering round the room with slack jawed expressions and stupid grins on our faces!
The stereo image of the guitar sounded wonderful too. Just a good room I guess, but damn, those cabs are great. I had him using my TC BH250 for a change too, as my MoMark 800 is soooo damn loud.
Only downside was, I had to play the guitar instead of bass!
[URL=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/gafbass02/media/C66B4E71-D9F1-4A7D-84F0-E77C22991098.jpg.html][IMG]http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d115/gafbass02/C66B4E71-D9F1-4A7D-84F0-E77C22991098.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

When you first mentioned this I seem to remember replying - but maybe didn't that a fledgling "Slade" did very similar in the mid-60s - to similar bemused punters and landlords. They used AC30s then and had a speaker of each interwired via long speaker cable with one on the opposite side of the stage. Pseudo-stereo rather than actual.

Edited by Big_Stu

I think so. :) the guitar in this case is just two amps run from the left and right outs on the pedal board, with the stereo 'air' effect on in the delay section, but then some effects with big stereo pans/delays/chorus etc, and then the core sound only very subtle stereo processing.
The bass is just mono as ever, just one cab on a longer speaker cable and put over the other side :)

Edited by gafbass02

Yeah, back in the day I was lucky enough to be in a position to have two 4x10's stacked on each side of the stage. Heheh.
Not always popular though.
When I play with my funk band they just stack behind me, but this one is a bit more rock and with only three of us we try to find ways to make it sound bigger :)

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1403472956' post='2483089']
Yep, Robins nest.
I'm pretty sure those factors, especially the low ceiling are pretty big contributors.

But mainly the balloons.
[/quote]

Contributors?

You haven't broken any rules. No doubt if it had sounded bad you would have moved the speakers.

You cannea break the 'rules' of physics. :)

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1403472956' post='2483089']
Yep, Robins nest. I'm pretty sure those factors, especially the low ceiling are pretty big contributors.
[/quote]

Found a pic confirming the lowness of the ceiling and proving that the past is another country...
Though I seem to remember a raised stage when we played there, possibly against a different wall. The mists of time.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1403512129' post='2483278']
Of course it worked well - the balloons were in a 'frowny' face position. Had they been in a scooped 'smiley' face position, you'd have been completely lost in the mix.
[/quote]

Sir, I believe you have just hit the nail on the head!!

If Big Stu's still about he'll probably confirm that Slade , in their early days , used this approach to create a wall of sound. They'd all have cabs either side of the stage. We've done it on occasion. Another approach I used on big stages was to put a table on it's side behind my stack to 'reflect' the rear ported ashdowns I had at the time. Worked very well.