Why become a member? ×

I made a bitsa Jazz!

Clarky72

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Just finished this. Sorry its not much of a diary, more of a finished status...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]First time I've built a bass from parts, and pretty happy with the result. I might swap the body out though, not entirely convinced by the 70s pickups position...I might have to pull it all apart and put into a regular jazz bass body, not sure yet..[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]25yr old Musikraft body, nitro finish and nicely aged. No relic finish here![/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Warmoth slim taper maple/maple neck with pearl blocks and cream binding & graphite rods[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fender 70s tuners[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fender Custom Shop 60s pickups[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vintage wiring with orange drop cap, switchcraft socket, CTS 250k pots [/font][/color][url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deluxe-WIRING-HARNESS-Upgrade-Vintage-NOS-CIRCLE-D-02uf-FOR-JAZZ-BASS-/190969831904?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:1120"]http://www.ebay.com/...ME:L:OU:GB:1120[/url]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

Aye, she looks a cracker alright! Can't beat a bitsa Jazz.

One thing, not sure if the pickups are 70's spacing. If anything, they look even further apart than that. I had a Geddy Lee body [with 70#s spacing] and it didn't look that far between each pup. Might just be my eyes though.

Rock it!

[quote name='umcoo' timestamp='1402426555' post='2473454']
One thing, not sure if the pickups are 70's spacing. If anything, they look even further apart than that. I had a Geddy Lee body [with 70#s spacing] and it didn't look that far between each pup.
[/quote]

Yes that bridge pickup looks way near the bridge. Otherwise - phew, what a scorcher!

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1402433182' post='2473540']
Is your desire for different pup spacing based on an aesthetic preference or tonal reasons? Are you satisfied with how it sounds as-is?
[/quote]

I wanted to try out the 70s position, it turns out after measuring that this one is a few mm further back than the norm. Great for a nice snappy tone, lovely growl, but today I think I prefer the regular location. Not sure about it yet. I may sell it complete, I might change the body out for another....