Why become a member? ×

Auditioning Guitarists Tomorrow - Advice Required

Sean

I agree to record it! You'll need time to reflect.

I also agree with getting down to your favourite 2 and having a second "creative" audition.

Also, I have previously attended an audition where I'VE recorded it and gone away to listen to decide if I want to join THEM!

One won't turn up, one won't have learned the stuff, one won't be able to play and the other will but will be a prima donna.

or maybe that's just my experience from a year ago :(

But good luck with it, as said above you seem to have thought it all through very well :)

[quote name='PJT' timestamp='1402161897' post='2470622']
Text them all in the morning to make sure that they are all going to turn up!
[/quote]
Text them all to check whether they can play, have learned the stuff, and aren't prima donnas.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402152681' post='2470501']
Perhaps give them a form to fill in while they're waiting![/quote]

Well, one probably would want to slide these sorts of questions in before and after the run-through. And probably not all of them.

Thing is, getting an idea of someone's circumstances helps avoid hiring the guy who works mostly unpredictable evening shifts, is going through a messy divorce, every other weekend blanked out because that's when he has the kids, plays in a serious five-a-side league and insists on gigging in one of those Australian hats with corks hanging from it.

Yes, I was in a band with someone with all the above. There were 'issues' from the off. :(

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402152681' post='2470501']EDIT: @Skank - is the hat a no-no then?
[/quote]

See above.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1402162287' post='2470629']
Text them all to check whether they can play, have learned the stuff, and aren't prima donnas.
[/quote]

One of my favourite posts of 2014 right there!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1402164060' post='2470669']
In the interests of verisimilitude, you should of course insist that they each set up by the door to the gents toilet ...
[/quote]

Should I take a friend along to tread on their pedals and spill lager as they push past them whilst they are playing?

If they plug their lead into the amp before their guitar, sack 'em :angry:
If they spend more time tweaking their sound than playing, sack 'em :angry:
If they try to tell you how to play bass, sack 'em :angry:

etc...

have you thought about keyboards...? ;)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1402164557' post='2470679']
If they plug their lead into the amp before their guitar, sack 'em :angry:
If they spend more time tweaking their sound than playing, sack 'em :angry:
If they try to tell you how to play bass, sack 'em :angry:

etc...

have you thought about keyboards...? ;)
[/quote]

I'm ultra-sensitive to lead and strap etiquette and can get preachy about it so I'm well on the case with that, it's hardwired. Messing about with FX/tone is an incurable illness as far as I'm concerned and will drive me nuts. When I was playing guitar in bands, I had all my sounds pre-programmed and ready to go with a stomp.

We have gone through some agonising experiences with keys players in the past months and will be revisiting that once we've got the guitarist sorted. We sacked a keys player earlier in the year and have turned down the last two because one couldn't commit and the other was absolutely unbearable; like a cross between Mr Bean and George Integrity Whitebread.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1402165046' post='2470693']
Bear in mind they are also auditioning you
[/quote]

See first post - [i]very[/i] aware ;-)

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1402135393' post='2470283']
We're also very aware that we are also being auditioned by each guitarist so I will be having a bath tonight and ironing my t-shirt in readiness.
[/quote]

video the entire proceedings - tell them it is for a reality tv idea and then post all the videos up on here and we can collectively vote for your new guitarist

as an extra bonus im sure ped could possibly throw in a BC polo shirt for the lucky winner :lol:

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1402135393' post='2470283']

11:00 - 12:00 Drummer, Singer and I turn up and set up and run through the plan, have a cup of tea, make sure we're on the case

14:30 - 14:45 tea break

17:15 - 1830 Drummer, Singer and I pack up and discuss, have a cup of tea, hopefully make decision
What have we missed?
[/quote]

Don't bother with the ones who don't like tea?

Seriously, sounds like you're putting a lot of thought and attention into this, I hope the auditionees have the respect to do the same.

All I would say is don't commit to making a decision on the day. Sleeping on it won't do any harm and slower reflection can be a good thing.

Good luck - I hope it all goes well. Let us know!

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1402166809' post='2470711']
video the entire proceedings - tell them it is for a reality tv idea and then post all the videos up on here and we can collectively vote for your new guitarist

as an extra bonus im sure ped could possibly throw in a BC polo shirt for the lucky winner :lol:
[/quote]

That is a fab idea and you know it would work!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1402167313' post='2470724']
Don't bother with the ones who don't like tea?

Seriously, sounds like you're putting a lot of thought and attention into this, I hope the auditionees have the respect to do the same.

[/quote]

I have been out today (don't do that often) and stocked up on quality tea bags and milk for tomorrow!

I'd say incluse a short jam & if a guitarist noodles all over the shop, avoid him. Especially if he noodles during the vocals!
It can be hard to find a guitarist who knows how to play appropriately. When to back off & how to put a good solo together & not just some random doodle where there are no vocals.

Only advice I can give is that they're auditioning you as much as you're auditioning them, so don't act like knobs... Having been in your position a few times I've had to rein in band members who seemed to forget we wanted certain auditionees to come back! Good luck!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1402171229' post='2470766']
Only advice I can give is that they're auditioning you as much as you're auditioning them, so don't act like knobs... Having been in your position a few times I've had to rein in band members who seemed to forget we wanted certain auditionees to come back! Good luck!
[/quote]

My band's as knob-free as a nunnery full of lesbians.

Only skimmed the thread so if this has been said before,sorry.

If he takes 1/2 an hour to set up - forget him. If all seems well take him for a pint. If you wouldnt want to drink with him again after that - forget him.
All going well you'll be spending time with him waiting around at gigs, so if you dont like him now, and it aint likely to change....

OK its about music, but you still need to get on, could save problems in the future.Guitar players are like busses, theres always another one coming soon.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

I wish busses were like guitar players. :)
But I'm with you. If the hunch says the guy is not good for the band, the hunch is probably right.
The questions are:
- Is he an asset to the music?
- Is he someone we can imagine hanging around with?
- Any chance of shagging his girlfriend?

Also, a good online presence is nice, and better than having people turn on the doorstep when they see you.
Although of course first impressions can be misleading: When a skinny, well-groomed and polite Rick van der Linden joined the band Ekseption, they did not respect him at all, and sold him a battered organ for more than what a new one cost. Within a year or maybe two, he'd taken over the band, turned it around and gave it all of its success.
They loved the success - - whilst of course calling him Ricktator. :)

Anyway, all of the best with the auditions! You seem to have most bases covered.
But ... tea? :o

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1402167387' post='2470727']
I have been out today (don't do that often) and stocked up on quality tea bags and milk for tomorrow!
[/quote]

If he asks for milk in his Earl Grey, then he's probably not quite right ...