Why become a member? ×

Budget 5er?

Joeyfivebags

Guitarist friend of mine is looking to get a 5 string to do some work on his solo project. Looking at under £200 second hand and wants to know any suggestions/what sort of things to keep an eye out for. Style is progressive metal in style of TesseracT, Periphery and Modern Day Babylon, so really wants something with a good low ended/strong B (buckers?) probably to be tuned to drop Ab. Not too familiar with 5's in this price range so any advice would be gratefully received.

Edited by Joeyfivebags

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401704131' post='2465922']
TBH unless you are very lucky, you are unlikely IMO to get a 5-string bass with a decent sounding B-string for that price even second hand.
[/quote]

That's what I was just going to post.

I've owned several fivers now - ranging from "bargain basement" to "mid-priced but serious". In every case I have sold it on because it wasn't as good to play and didn't sound as good as even a cheap four string bass.

There still seems to be a real problem in building a good five string bass down to a modest budget. If he really needs a five (and can't get away with a four with heavy strings, down-tuned) then I would suggest he really needs to at least double his budget...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1401710669' post='2466003']
I think at that price and those tunings he'd be better off getting a four string and tuning it with the lowest four strings from a five string set.
[/quote]

In my experience, that won't make a lot of difference. I did this with a Bass Collection, a reasonably decent bass by 4 string construction standards, and the low B was still too flappy.

I'd suggest he looks for something which is either 35" scale, neck-through construction or both. He might pick up a Peavey Grind or and Ibanez BTB for that sort of price.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1401711133' post='2466008']
In my experience, that won't make a lot of difference. I did this with a Bass Collection, a reasonably decent bass by 4 string construction standards, and the low B was still too flappy.

I'd suggest he looks for something which is either 35" scale, neck-through construction or both. He might pick up a Peavey Grind or and Ibanez BTB for that sort of price.
[/quote]

35" scale is IME a complete red herring. It's all in the construction whether or not the B-string sounds any good. Any manufacturer capable of making a 35" scale bass with s decent low B is equal capable of making one with a 34" scale. By all means go for a 35" scale bass if you like the fret spacing, but don't assume that the one extra inch will make the B-string sound and feel better.

Of all the decent priced 5 string bases I have owned, the two with the 35" scale length had the poorest sounding and feeling B-stings. If simply want scale length to solve your problems you need to go to at least 36".

I've got to recommend the Peavey Grind series. 35" scale, but very comfortable to play. And even with the stock pickups they've got a nice punch and growl to them! They go up for sale second hand very often :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1401716328' post='2466081']
35" scale is IME a complete red herring. It's all in the construction whether or not the B-string sounds any good. Any manufacturer capable of making a 35" scale bass with s decent low B is equal capable of making one with a 34" scale. By all means go for a 35" scale bass if you like the fret spacing, but don't assume that the one extra inch will make the B-string sound and feel better.

Of all the decent priced 5 string bases I have owned, the two with the 35" scale length had the poorest sounding and feeling B-stings. If simply want scale length to solve your problems you need to go to at least 36".
[/quote]

This is a very valid point! But I tuned the B on the above mentioned bass down to an octave below a low E, just out of pure curiosity... Still had a pretty bright punchy sound, even with a .130 gauge string!

Edited by chrismuzz

Ibanez SR305. Has a surprisingly good low B for the price and at £299 new, you should be able to pick one up second hand at a decent price. Close string spacing though, so watch out for that if you're not a fan!

Cheers for the advice people. Pretty much seems the same as I told him. Gunna have to spend a lot more for something great. But thanks for the suggested options I will let him know. The budget is pretty no moveable due to him being a student and buying two 7s this year. I don't see floppyness being an issue I dropped my .145 to Ab last night on 34" and it wasn't the worst thing ever.

Completely off topic but has anyone seen the image going round of the Ibanez Fanned Fret?

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1401717687' post='2466099']
Ibanez SR305. Has a surprisingly good low B for the price and at £299 new, you should be able to pick one up second hand at a decent price. Close string spacing though, so watch out for that if you're not a fan!
[/quote]

I picked up an SR405 for a third of that! Bargain of the year for me!