Why become a member? ×

Metal vocals . Is there a definitive answer , to who started the angry dog syndrome?

Having a discussion with a friend , about the trends in metal. One of the topics to rise , was the trend for all things angry.
Now, back in the '80s it seemed that there were so many Rob Halford wannabes . Most were cack. Some were good.

So then thrash /death/speed came along roughly in the early '80s. Slayer were probably the most well known for a change from the screamy stuff at the time.
Venom , celtic frost etc . Then there was lawnmower death.;) Apart from queensryche / maiden /priest ( I know I've missed some), everyone seems to sound like they've swallowed an Alsatian .
Question is, who started it ?

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Preist never really shouted though, songs like Living After Midnight we sung rather than shouted. I remember seing biohazard live in London somewhere in the early 90's, now they just shouted and growled through 2 hours of noise. Judas never did that, they played for 2 hours. IMHO anyway.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='Diablo' timestamp='1401492774' post='2464314']
Preist never really shouted though, songs like Living After Midnight we sung rather than shouted. I remember seing biohazard live in London somewhere in the early 90's, now they just shouted and growled through 2 hours of noise. Judas never did that, they played for 2 hours. IMHO anyway.

Cheers,
Rich
[/quote]

Sorry rich - crossed wires here. I think ithe answer to my question seems to be venom ;) ( unless another name comes up)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Napalm Death came after Venom.

Discharge could well be one of the first to use that kind of vocal style but they were more a punk outfit than rock. But I do remember listening to Discharge's 'Why' EP at the same I came across Venom's first release, way back in my sixth form days.

Crikey I'm showing me age...

IMO it was brought into the mainstream by Phil Anselmo on Vulgar Display of Power, which went massive for them, and rightly so, but a lot of copy cat bands took Anselmos agressive barking vocals to the 'next' level, although, as said above, it was probably started by Napalm Death and their ilk!

I'm now too old and like my metal with 'proper' vocals..........

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1401487894' post='2464264']
Having a discussion with a friend , about the trends in metal. One of the topics to rise , was the trend for all things angry.
Now, back in the '80s it seemed that there were so many Rob Halford wannabes . Most were cack. Some were good.

Question is, who started it ?
[/quote]

Johnny Rotten ?

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1401563368' post='2464849']
Hatebeak.

Confirmed.
[/quote]

Confirmed, but not strictly true. The true originator of the sound had to growl before Waldo in order to teach him. Waldo just "parroted" the style, if you forgive the term. Good call though.

I guess possessed got the first album out with Seven Churches in 1985 and their Death Metal demo of 1984. By 87 Bolt Thrower, Morbid Angel, Death and a handful of others consolidated the genre, most of them inspired by Black Sabbath, Venom, Slayer, etc.

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1401696503' post='2465818']
I bought a compilation called Metal Killers from Woolworths in the 80's and Venom's "song" black metal was a bit of a shock to the system.

Venom were releasing albums back in 1979 - which makes them the original black/death metal as far as I know.
[/quote]

Fairly sure it was 1980 we supported them. 80/83 we did gigs with bands as diverse as Gillan, Marillion, Venom and Saracen. Mind supporting Shakin Stevens and The Sunset's in 1976..... :o

Edited by karlfer