Why become a member? ×

Hum free Jazz pickup recommendations

lefrash

I'm looking at replacing the jazz bridge pickup in my aerodyne Jazz bass. The current one is a bit weak and hums a fair bit. A few yaers ago the SD quarter pounder was suggested to me. I probably will go for this, but when looking to purchase I noticed theres quite alot of options for under £80.

Anyone got any other suggestions that I could look at before just biting the bullet with the SJB-3? Not looking for anything too hot, and nothing that might be a bit 'rock'. Just a nice solid sounding pickup that will hopefully reduce hum.

The trusty old DiMarzio Model J is nice, but not as bright as a single coil - its got a lot of nice low mid stuff that makes it very clear and solid. There is also the more recent DiMarzio Area J that seems to give a more faithful J bass sound. Personally, I'd go for the new Aguilar ones...but I've not heard them.

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1400234188' post='2452059']
I'm looking at replacing the jazz bridge pickup in my aerodyne Jazz bass. The current one is a bit weak and hums a fair bit. A few yaers ago the SD quarter pounder was suggested to me. I probably will go for this, but when looking to purchase I noticed theres quite alot of options for under £80.

Anyone got any other suggestions that I could look at before just biting the bullet with the SJB-3? Not looking for anything too hot, and nothing that might be a bit 'rock'. Just a nice solid sounding pickup that will hopefully reduce hum.
[/quote]
Why would you be 'biting the bullet with an SJB'? Sounds like maybe you are hopeful of something exotic being suggested but really, the Seymour Duncan pickups are a top brand and there are a few different hum cancelling models. Even the active jazz set with 1000 hour battery life are excellent and no where near as 'hot' as the earlier switchable actives. The DiMarzio are very good too and having tried two types of their jazz ones, I still prefer SDs. Now it's down to your ears and finances but I think someone had some SJBs on here recently.

I got a P/J set of Nordstrands from Barrie (Molan) to go in my Aerodyne, and I love them. The J is hum cancelling (although I think the phrase hum reducing is better!!)

I had an SD Quarter Pounder P in there before, with the original J, and the J was a weak and feeble thing. The Nords now give me a much more balanced output and a wonderful fat sound with either or both.

The SD QP has now gone into my Squier P, where it can roar away to it's hearts content.

Edited by davehux

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1400246407' post='2452243']
Seymour Duncan STK-J2 is a stacked jazz pick up available as neck and bridge versions in 4 or 5 strings. It's 4 conductor wiring too so you can coil split it or reverse the phasing. Totally hum free and amazing sounding pick up. I wouldn't use anything else for a jazz pick up personally.
[/quote]

I put one of these in my Aerodyne and it was great. I did it in homage to Duff McKagan who does the same with his basses (including his Aerodyne). Fantastic pickup, sounds very much like the regular Jazz pickups, but no buzz, and a the tone I thought was much fuller in lows, mids and highs than the stock pickup.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1400264646' post='2452485']
I put one of these in my Aerodyne and it was great. I did it in homage to Duff McKagan who does the same with his basses (including his Aerodyne). Fantastic pickup, sounds very much like the regular Jazz pickups, but no buzz, and a the tone I thought was much fuller in lows, mids and highs than the stock pickup.
[/quote]

This may very well be the winner then! I was looking at this one, and the fact you mentioned you have stuck it in an aerodyne and so does Duff suggests to me I'm onto a winner!

Cheers. I'l update when I get it wired in, let you all know how I get on with it. Might even try to record a before/after kinda thing.