Why become a member? ×

Was someone planning to conduct blinded A-Bing of vintage Fenders and Squiers?

Beedster

i did suggest it on a thread a couple of months ago for the SE bass bash and i noticed also somebody else suggested it too (TheGreek ? possibly?)

very keen to see this happen :D

oh and congrats on your 7000th post ;)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1399450293' post='2444270']
oh and congrats on your 7000th post ;)
[/quote]

And..........................................

......................... here it is 7000. 6888 of them are probably in the FS sections as well :D

[b]EDIT: [/b]

[b]I'm going to have a go at breaking the record for not posting! How long do you reckon I can keep it at 7000? [/b]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1399450676' post='2444276']

......................... here it is 7000. 6888 of them are probably in the FS sections as well :D
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[b]I'm going to have a go at breaking the record for not posting! How long do you reckon I can keep it at 7000? [/b]
[/quote]

I'm guessing several hours ...

I told my bass teacher about this and he reckons people will definitely be able to distinguish USA Fenders from MIM and MIJ. I almost felt offended since mine is a MIM, lol. :D
So it will be interesting to see if he's right.
(To be fair, he's right about most things) :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The bass whisperer did something along those lines quite a few years ago... with very surprising results. Take into account the strings on his own basses compared to the stock ones on the others. I would certainly be interested in hearing about the results you find. Do you intend to record them then put the sound clips up for us to guess?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1399495627' post='2444856']
Yep, I reckon people will be able to tell the difference between those played, and state their faves, but whether they`ll be able to tell which is which, well that`s a different matter.
[/quote]

I think it would be better managed by a Jazz bass fan, rather than a committed P bass user. Just my opinion.

Also it would be good to rig them all with the same strings, otherwise people will gravitate toward their preferred tension/feel/sound.

[quote name='smudge' timestamp='1400194634' post='2451815']
The bass whisperer did something along those lines quite a few years ago... with very surprising results.
[/quote]

Not that surprising really. The Squiers all sounded much more scooped, which is a more common and popular sound now.

What was surprising was how little effort the Squiers apparently made to sound like vintage instruments.

[b]EDIT: [/b]

[/quote]

I think the FS ones aren't counted in the total anyway... :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1400197687' post='2451838']

Also it would be good to rig them all with the same strings, otherwise people will gravitate toward their preferred tension/feel/sound.
[/quote]

This.