Why become a member? ×

Help,my sound just isn't cutting it?

kevvo66

Have you tried turning your volume down to a level that feels good with the drummer playing naturally and relaxed?

It might be easier to convince the guitarists that they are too damn loud if they can't hear the rhythm section when thay are playing, but the bass and drums sound great together when the guitars stop.

Part of the issue with volume wars, is that guitar cabs can be very directional, and you need to crank the volume way louder than it needs to be in order to hear yourself if you are stood in front of the amp stack - try asking the guitarists to sit on the floor in front of their stacks while playing and see if they are comfortable with the volume level, and maybe also try swapping stage positions with each guitarist in turn, so they can hear the instrument mix from your perspective and you can hear the mix from theirs.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1399202360' post='2441976']
We are both suffering in silence at the moment, not that we hear each other lol
[/quote]

You never know, maybe they just don't know they're doing it? Mention it to them!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1399202953' post='2441985']
Maybe hire a 'Lemmy' stack for a practice, and show 'em what it's like..?
[/quote]

Or just hire Lemmy himself to slap 'em around a bit.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1399203666' post='2441998']
Sincere apologies, I don't what I was thinking, it won't happen again.
[/quote]

:lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1399203634' post='2441997']
Part of the issue with volume wars, is that guitar cabs can be very directional, and you need to crank the volume way louder than it needs to be in order to hear yourself if you are stood in front of the amp stack - try asking the guitarists to sit on the floor in front of their stacks while playing and see if they are comfortable with the volume level, and maybe also try swapping stage positions with each guitarist in turn, so they can hear the instrument mix from your perspective and you can hear the mix from theirs.
[/quote]
IME many guitarists have their cabs down on the floor, so (lacking ears in their knees) they have no idea of the sonic mayhem being perpetrated out front. If they have their cab at a reasonable height they may revise their idea of what is loud enough.

WARNING: Some guitarists are nevertheless happy to stand with their ears right in front of their speakers while they emit eardrum-mangling sound levels. Best to just put them in a sealed room with other like-minded guitarists and let them get on with it.

As others have said, start again with another rig. Suggest the Peavey MkIII going around here, it's an absolute bargain. Also grab a Barefaced S12 or something similar that will let amps breath well. That's YOUR volume sorted

However, do you really want to continue playing with two guitarists that;

- don't appear to be interested in half of the band's contribution to the gig
- Act in such a way as to negate your performance

best of british

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1399193472' post='2441829']

it's usually the guitarers fault turning their bass and lows up to high because they like how it sounds at home w***nking away on it and they cant turn the volume down or they wont get 'their sound' blah blah blah blah
[/quote]

Made me chuckle. We had practice today and we always go in and play "guess the settings" game on the guitar amp that we are left with. Bass is 9 times out of ten, maxed out.

Look at your own eq and add more mids - I find a nasally/middy sound that I don`t like on-stage works really well out front, translating into a great bass sound, not toppy at all.

Then get the guitarists at rehearsals - and you as well - to not stand right in front of the amps when playing, but walk a good way forwards. Then:

Get the guitarists to reduce bass, gain and reverb on their amps (difficult, but can be done). Not by much, and don`t let them play anything yet.

Repeat standing a good way in front of the amps, and the band now plays - hopefully not only you, but the whole band should sound better now.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1399195885' post='2441878']
theres a peavey bam 2x10 combo for sale £350 here on basschat, i once tried one of those on top of a 4x10 extention cab and it was a massive sound
somehin like that would have a chance of putting them into place :^)

thats a seriously good amp if you dont mind a combo
[/quote]

I had a listen to that very combo today at Martyn's. Was frankly amazed at how good it sounded.....really !!
B)

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1399240033' post='2442411']
I had a listen to that very combo today at Martyn's. Was frankly amazed at how good it sounded.....really !!
B)
[/quote]
Cheers Pete - as you can testify it's a cracking amp - really is. But I fancy a change.....

Kevvoo66 - I'm in Chorley - not a million miles away from you mate.
So I don't hijack your thread I'll PM you a direct link

to reiterate many of th eabove - the extra cab will make a phenomenal difference - i used to struggle with a 250w head through a 410 cab always maxed out and only just getting heard - added the 115 cab - loads more air shifting amp runs at 4ohms instead of 8ohms so kicks out full 250w instead of about 180w but the biggest difference is the amount of air it moves - now i only need the master set half way so loads more headroom

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1399191795' post='2441804']
Hiya, people,heres my problem sorry I'm sure this as been asked a zillion times ,I'm running two ashdown cabs with a Warwick profet 3.2 head 300watt, 8ohms, just not cutting through the mix these days, I'm up against two valve amp using guitarists, my question being is time for bigger head I can't really push the head anymore for fear of killing it,the cabs seem okay with my eb180 head but alas she's semi retired now so is living a quiet life now, oh the dreaded clipping at high volumes on the warwick. The warwick for sale on here can't give away lol,any ideas please.confused and p%**ed off. Kev
[/quote]

Consider a Hartke head...good price and very loud.Secondhand ones are excellent value. I used one for 15 years and it was a superb amp. They are never lacking in headroom and are quite versatile.