Why become a member? ×

Using reverb / echo on vocals

bonzodog

Afternoon all
We have taken the plunge and bought our own active PA today. When I used to sing around the social clubs I always used to use a fair bit of echo on my voice switching it off between songs to talk to audience. The other two members of the band I am now in prefer very dry vocals and drummer says he actually prefers no reverb or echo at all.
Just wondered what everyone else preferred. One of the reasons being our new ZLX active cabs have two XLR inputs as well as adjusting bass and treble. Therefore if we were just using it for vocals we could bypass mixer and put both our vocals direct into speakers. Only problem being we would have no effect unless we bought a separate unit.

Just wondered what people preferred.

Reverb and echo are the most overdone effects, imo. And though it's true that 'dry' is the flavour of the month, in a live situation I would be tempted to add just the slightest hint of reverb on a vocal - not so much that it's obvious, though.

Having a very wet vocal throughout a performance leads one to suspect the singer isn't up to the job. Effects can hide a multitude of sins as we know... :)

Edited by discreet

Guest bassman7755

Dry vocals sound sh*te IMO (dry lead guitar comes a close second).

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bigash' timestamp='1398974108' post='2439669']
[i]We use a plate reverb on vocals, increase the amount untill you can just hear the effect. Then back it off a bit so it sounds natural to the room you are in.[/i]
[/quote]

+1 Good advice

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398960731' post='2439488']
Reverb and echo are the most overdone effects, imo. And though it's true that 'dry' is the flavour of the month, in a live situation I would be tempted to add just the slightest hint of reverb on a vocal - not so much that it's obvious, though.

Having a very wet vocal throughout a performance leads one to suspect the singer isn't up to the job. Effects can hide a multitude of sins as we know... :)
[/quote]
[quote name='bigash' timestamp='1398974108' post='2439669']
[i]We use a plate reverb on vocals, increase the amount untill you can just hear the effect. Then back it off a bit so it sounds natural to the room you are in.[/i]
[/quote]

These. Also when a singer has too much reverb/echo - as in you can tell it`s there imo - the clarity of the vox goes, making it sound muddy. Walk into a venue and you can understand the words, if the voice and pitching are up to the job, well that`s the singer that stands out. Rather than those singers whose voices are drenched in reverb and who you can`t understand a word they`re singing. Dreary beyond belief, how they expect anyone to listen to them is beyond me.

Do you mean Fx in FOH, or Fx in monitors..?

FOH : it's very common to have some way of livening up the lead voice, but would be adjusted depending on venue (large church hall..? small, packed pub..?). Backing vocals could be treated too, depending on repertoire. Fx would normally be removed during chat or announcements to the public. The FOH engi should be handling that, and dosing FX to fit the bill.
Monitors: An individual choice; many singers want 'dry' in their monitors, but some like/need a bit of reverb as reassurance, mostly. Folks differ there, though, so ymmv.