Why become a member? ×

Anyone else had this revelation?

Evil Undead

I used be a diehard fan of the good old Precision, and I've had a few of them (mostly budget models - Squier, Ryder - but one amazing USA Fender).

But I've realised, I actually prefer (for most applications anyway) the sound and feel of the jazz bass. Especially with the bridge pickup soloed and the tone halfway up.

Has anyone else gone from loving the Precision to preferring the Jazz?

Trouble is, now I'm playing only 30" (ish) scale basses, and a nice passive Fender style jazz in that scale is hard to come by and not that cheap! Especially as I'm fussy, I want white/tort/rosewood! Where can I get such a thing?

Completely the opposite for me. I used to lust after Jazzes until I got my first Precision.

To answer your question Fender Japan offer a 'Smart Size' Jazz bass and I'm pretty sure it's available in white with a rosewood board. You would obviously incur the risks associated with importing a bass from anywhere (shipping, taxes, language barrier for any service issues) but it sounds like it could be everything you want.

http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/jb62ss.html here you go

Edited by theyellowcar

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1398622653' post='2435896']
Completely the opposite for me. I used to lust after Jazzes until I got my first Precision.

To answer your question Fender Japan offer a 'Smart Size' Jazz bass and I'm pretty sure it's available in white with a rosewood board. You would obviously incur the risks associated with importing a bass from anywhere (shipping, taxes, language barrier for any service issues) but it sounds like it could be everything you want.

[/quote]

Oh my word, I'd love one. Looks like they're discontinued though. By the time I'd saved up, the remaining stock would probably be sold :( I'll give it a whirl though

Another for going from a jazz to favouring precisions, now a convert to pre-EB Stingrays(at least till EB makes one with the same neck shape as the originals:P),still wouldn't be without my '04 precision though. :D

Maybe a mustang with pickups modded might suit you if you like short scale?

Edited by Foxx

I loved playing Jazzers at home but found that live they never quite delivered for me. Although I don't have a Fender P I kept trading and it became apparent that I was much happier with a "P" style bass. Eventually I had to admit defeat and leave jazzers behind and am now much happier.

Note: may of course be something else in my set up.

Edited by Pinball

I bought a Precision when I first starting playing seriously but moved over to Japanese instruments within five years and have pretty much stayed there ever since.

I did compromise a few years ago and bought a JB as a placatory instrument, for those who insist I 'have to use a Fender', but do find it a rather uncomfortable thing to play.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1398632138' post='2436075']
I bought a Precision when I first starting playing seriously but moved over to Japanese instruments within five years and have pretty much stayed there ever since.

I did compromise a few years ago and bought a JB as a placatory instrument, for those who insist I 'have to use a Fender', but do find it a rather uncomfortable thing to play.
[/quote]

What sort of Japanese instruments?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1398626307' post='2435968']
I can't read the kanji, but the specs table states 'SCALE: 373.5mm'. That is actually the distance from nut to 12th fret, so scale length would be roughly double that at 747mm, or 29.41in.

Looks tasty in white/tort/rosewood:

[/quote]

Hell yes it does

[quote name='theyellowcar' timestamp='1398622653' post='2435896']

[/quote]

This.

Except mine was technically my third precision. Had a really cheap P bass and didn't like (probably because it was cheap!), then a MIM Classic Series P bass which I liked but didn't prefer to my jazzes. I would often use it at gigs though as it was better in the mix. Sold that too and then eventually (after a while without one) got the Nate Mendel P bass and I've not looked back. In fact, I've spent most of this week thinking about selling two of my jazzes and putting the money into another precision... :-S

Edited by skej21

I always wondered why people played Precisions when they could use a Jazz (two pickups must be better than one, right?) but then saw how many people here showed their love for the P bass and I started listening closely to YouTube bass playing clips and getting my ear in for that special sound... so I decided I needed to try one... and I just love it! If I had to keep just one instrument it would be my Precision!