Why become a member? ×

Anyone else had this revelation?

Evil Undead

My P bass is the first one I've ever owned & it turned out to be one of the best passive 4 stringers I've ever seen & played. Saying that, love my Jazz's too!! As above I'd say have both. Hasn't it been said that once you have a P & a J, do you need anything else? Works for me! :-)

I got a Jazz and slung a John East pre in it, loved it for a while, but my Yam kept calling me back, played the Jazz at a rehearsal about a year ago and HATED the sound it was giving me, couldn't dial in anything that suited, was lusting after a Nate Mandel but ended up with a mother of pearl flavour MiM which is my 'go to' at the moment, keep meaning to sell the Jazz but hasn't quite happened yet. The Yam still calls to me though. :rolleyes:

In 25 years of playing bass the closest thing to a P bass I have ever played was a Satellite I was given when I was 16, which I sold on a few months later, not because I didn't like it (I actually did) but because I couldn't see the point in ever owning two basses at the same time.

I have never tried a Jazz bass.

Don't want to try any, either, because even if I did like them, and I certainly wouldn't count the possibility out, I couldn't afford one anyway.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1398622387' post='2435885']
I used be a diehard fan of the good old Precision, and I've had a few of them (mostly budget models - Squier, Ryder - but one amazing USA Fender).

But I've realised, I actually prefer (for most applications anyway) the sound and feel of the jazz bass. Especially with the bridge pickup soloed and the tone halfway up.

Has anyone else gone from loving the Precision to preferring the Jazz?

Trouble is, now I'm playing only 30" (ish) scale basses, and a nice passive Fender style jazz in that scale is hard to come by and not that cheap! Especially as I'm fussy, I want white/tort/rosewood! Where can I get such a thing?
[/quote]

OH YEAH! I like my Precision, but I think thats just because I want to have one to switch off to on occasion. But if I went back to playing, and owning one Bass as in the past, the Jazz Bass would be the only option for me. I do like both Fretless, and Fretted Jazzes though. I seem to get a richer, deeper tone, and a bit more power from the twin pups from the Jazz Basses. At least through my choices of amp setups. I do like playing a short scale Gibson SG Bass sometimes too. 30.5" Scale has a great bottom to it.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xvdW4xb.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass

Yes, I started out on P-basses but later on got frustrated with their tonal limitations and moved to Jazzes and Rays, and more recently MTDs (which are really Jazz 2.0). I still love the sound of a good P-bass (or more precisely, the two sounds of a good P-bass - tone control on 10, and tone control on 0), but would not want to be stuck with just that.

Edited by GrammeFriday

I love how Jazz's sound with others - I've had a few, and they always sound wrong in my hands.

Plus that neck - tried to adapt, but it's just way too skinny for me.

P's I love - had to part with the last one, although I didn't want to! Would like another, but not sure if I could justify it as I probably wouldn't gig it.....love the sound, but it's not my sound.

I've come to realise over the last couple of years that jazz basses are just the best basses for me.

Easy to play and a sound I like -I'm slowly in the process of selling anyting not jazz-shaped !!

Always baffles me why people seem to prefer the bridge pickup to the neck, but each to their own...

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1398789841' post='2437633']

Always baffles me why people seem to prefer the bridge pickup to the neck, but each to their own...
[/quote]

Part of my reason for getting hold of a Precision was the fact that I prefer the rounder tone of the neck pickup on a Jazz... however, when you roll off the treble and beef up the bass with the bridge pickup it sounds pretty good...

Watched "Guitarists on "Later"" and "Guitarists at the BBC" on BBC4 the other night, and was struck by just how many of the bass players were playing Jazz basses - usually on these retro compilations it's spot the non-P bass

Never much got on with them much myself, but I can see why so many do