Why become a member? ×

Dan Lakin building basses again

Platypus

Haven't seen any mention of this on Basschat before...

Dan Lakin - him of Lakland fame, is building basses again with a Bob Glaub and a Joe Osborn sig model due out soon.

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2014/04/16/dan-lakin-launches-d-lakin-basses-with-two-new-models/

Made in indonesia so therefore an updated skyline.
If the street price is $1200 dollars thats going to be £1200 over here. I like lakland and skyline basses but for me I would rather either pick up a second hand MIA Expensive but very good

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1398704987' post='2436782']
**Cough** Fender models. **Cough**
[/quote]

"[i]The Joe Osborn 4 is defined by a pair of single coil D. Lakin pickups with a 1.5″ nut width, while the Bob Glaub 4 sports a single humbucked split coil pickup and a 1.75″ nut width[/i]."

I would say so. :happy:

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1398771055' post='2437369']
"[i]The Joe Osborn 4 is defined by a pair of single coil D. Lakin pickups with a 1.5″ nut width, while the Bob Glaub 4 sports a single humbucked split coil pickup and a 1.75″ nut width[/i]."

I would say so. :happy:
[/quote]

I just wish manufacturers/makers would just try and come up with something new. It's always Jazz or Precision bass derivatives and it's not just about shape or pickup configurations. The last truly original bass I've seen was the Deimel Firestar (below) and to be honest most comments were directed at the makers choice of haircut rather than what the bass actually delivered.
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1398771563' post='2437381']

I just wish manufacturers/makers would just try and come up with something new. It's always Jazz or Precision bass derivatives and it's not just about shape or pickup configurations. The last truly original bass I've seen was the Deimel Firestar (below) and to be honest most comments were directed at the makers choice of haircut rather than what the bass actually delivered.
P

[/quote]

Isn't that just a 3 pickup jazz master?

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1398771563' post='2437381']
P

[/quote]
Very nice, it looks like a Gibson non-reverse Thunderbird.

I really like Dan Lakin and I wish him well with his new venture, but I really can't see any unique selling point ( as I believe it is known) for these basses.

When Lakland established themselves as a brand , they had that mm/jazz pickup configuration which, even if they didn't invent it, they popularized in a very accessible design. These basses having no such innovation to recommend them. Why choose one of these over a Lakland Skyline or any other similar model ? Dan has got a formidable track record in the industry and a great reputation, but these basses will take some intensive marketing in order to compete with all the other similar basses available right now.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1398797551' post='2437741']
Very nice, it looks like a Gibson non-reverse Thunderbird.
[/quote]

Frank Deimel's workshop was (unbeknownst to me) a couple of hundred meters from where we were staying in Berlin last year and really wish I'd known this. Pricewise, I'd have to shift at least two of my Thunderbirds to cover the cost. I suppose that's what you get for a handmade product.
P

I'm guessing Dan must have some clause that he couldn't build his signature bass shape (the Lakland 44-01/55-01 shape) which he became famous for hence a return to F style basses. The Lakland head stock is a beautiful design and I actually prefer it to Fender's original design but these new D.Lakin head stocks aren't appealing (well to me at least).

I hope to keep my current Lakland for a long time and while I wish Dan well I think I'll hold out on buying any of his new stuff but who knows what he may have up his sleeve a few years down the line?

I've always really liked Lakland basses and, for quite a long time, I'd have rated the Skyline series ahead of a lot of US made Fenders.

However, Fender US QC seems much better since about 2010/2011 onwards and Lakland prices were creeping up so the price differential got a lot closer and I'm sure a lot of buyers would choose a Fender over a Lakland purely because of the brand name (I've experienced this first hand many times!).

If the new Lakins came into the UK straight from Dan then they ought to be under £1,000 (based on the current £ to $ exchange rate) which would make them very competitive if the quality compares to Dan's previous work.