Why become a member? ×

NBD: Gibson SG Spl. On Order

gsgbass

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1398536172' post='2435078']
I've grown to love Gibson basses recently after having bought a Gibson Midtown Bass and a J45 acoustic guitar.

What will you be replacing with the SG? You seem to stay with 3 basses so I wonder what's about to leave the stable :)
[/quote]

Nothing gets past you. Hey Old Horse Murphy. I'm adding this Gibson to the family. A name may be a change though.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pNPK9R8.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by gsgbass

[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1398539667' post='2435116']
Think you've had SG's before? How do you get on with the short scale?
[/quote]

Very good actually. I started out in 1969 on a Gibson EB0. I also like that this little dude weighs just under seven pounds. Good for an old Roadie's back. I'm really looking forward to running it through the RC Electronic setup. The Fenders sound good through it, but the SG should kick.

You guys are super. Thanks for the great posts, and I will show family pics when it's here. Presently, I'm at a loss for a name for her. Once again, Sweetwater Sounds online Guitar Gallery showed me what I was looking for. OH BOY! Short scale Nylon Strings are on the way.

[quote name='hatori' timestamp='1398614965' post='2435740']
I have a 68 EB3 that i absolutely adore and am about to pull the trigger on an SG as a backup. I owned an EB3L back in the 70's.
[/quote]

The EB3L would be the Crown Jewel to be reintroduced. That was one of the finest Gibson Basses, along with the EB1 Violin Bass. I do like the SG Basses of today though.

[quote name='Adee' timestamp='1398632250' post='2436077']
Nice ! plus you get the sexy brown / pink Cali-girl case too BONUS !!!
[/quote]

Yeah I know, why they couldn't have just used the white interior. I think Gibson was trying to copy the Red Poodle inside color of the Fender G&G Tweed Case.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ZNqyvDE.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1398677003' post='2436350']
I have tried an SG Bass a few times and can not get on with the long heel at the neck joint. Why Gibson changed from their original neck pocket design I don't know. Epiphone still use it.
[/quote]

I'm like you, I have no clue either. That may be one of the primary causes of the [size=4][b]Neck Dive Of Death[/b][/size] on SG Basses though.

[quote name='Mokl' timestamp='1398619050' post='2435807']
If that sounds as good as it looks, it'll be fantastic!
[/quote]

It should be pretty good in sounds. I almost think the heavier Nitro Heritage finish dulls the more clear sound. The faded SG Basses I've played, had great sound ranges of highs, and [b]LOWS[/b]. For about half the price too, with the same pups, and case too.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1398690242' post='2436565']

It should be pretty good in sounds. I almost think the heavier Nitro Heritage finish dulls the more clear sound. The faded SG Basses I've played, had great sound ranges of highs, and [b]LOWS[/b]. For about half the price too, with the same pups, and case too.
[/quote]
+1
I had the posh full gloss cherry model a couple of years ago but found it a little dull sounding,where my satin chocolate bass sounds bloody great.