Why become a member? ×

Bass is messing with my mind!

Jesus

Im originally a big metal/rock loving man, and am learning the bass to play in such a band, but since i've been researching and learning i've noticed my ears are now partial to a bit of blues, jazz, and funk! I find myself putting on a bit of Jaco or Bootsy when i get in from work to unwind rather than my usual blend of Avenged, Atreyu, and Dio.

Has anyone else found this or am i the only one going mad?

Edited by Jesus

[quote name='Jesus' post='240247' date='Jul 15 2008, 05:50 PM']Im originally a big metal/rock loving man, and am learning the bass to play in such a band, but since i've been researching and learning i've noticed my ears are now partial to a bit of blues, jazz, and funk! I find myself putting on a bit of Jaco or Bootsy when i get in from work to rewind rather than my usual blend of Avenged, Atreyu, and Dio.

Has anyone else found this or am i the only one going mad?[/quote]

but does this work the other way round? For example, do Jazzers occasionally realise it could be beneficial to look outside their genre and take influences from elsewhere, and so listen to a bit of rock/metal/thrash etc?

[quote name='Jesus' post='240247' date='Jul 15 2008, 05:50 PM']Im originally a big metal/rock loving man, and am learning the bass to play in such a band, but since i've been researching and learning i've noticed my ears are now partial to a bit of blues, jazz, and funk! I find myself putting on a bit of Jaco or Bootsy when i get in from work to rewind rather than my usual blend of Avenged, Atreyu, and Dio.

Has anyone else found this or am i the only one going mad?[/quote]

You're not going mad, you are becoming sane. :)

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='240262' date='Jul 15 2008, 06:10 PM']or dare i say, a bit older![/quote]

Nah... im as immature as it gets, and the day i dont laugh at American Pie & Super Bad will be the day i get myself cremated.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='240256' date='Jul 15 2008, 05:57 PM']but does this work the other way round? For example, do Jazzers occasionally realise it could be beneficial to look outside their genre and take influences from elsewhere, and so listen to a bit of rock/metal/thrash etc?[/quote]
In my experience (which is worldwide and vast where musicians are concerned) most Jazz players listen to all sorts of music and are less likely to hold the same prejudices as their detractors.

[quote name='Bullet-Rule' post='240372' date='Jul 15 2008, 08:53 PM']I have the same mixed feelings about genres. One minute I can be playing thrash metal and loving it. Next I move to prog rock. Next I move to funk, next to reggae, etc. I like too many genres, and I don't know which to settle on.[/quote]

Why should you settle on any one genre? Music is there to be consumed like food...you wouldn't eat just chips would you? Only thing i find problematic about having a catholic taste when it comes to music is that it costs you a lot more than being narrow minded :huh:

This week alone i have bought Cd's by Les Claypool, Miles Davis, Deep Purple, The Allman Brothers and The Knack....i recently went through a phase of replacing all the punk albums i had back in the 70's before i sold them all to a mate to buy fags and drink. Though on reflection, maybe Sham 69 would have been better left in the past :)

I am the same, I've been "learning" very slowly for around 8 or 9 months and I was totally blinkered and I listened to mainly rock, metal, prog etc. and nothing else. But since taking up bass I've started to listen to Jaco, Marcus Miller one of my hero's now, Wooten, some jazz, pop. Anything that has a good groove to it really :huh: I think it opens your ears to different styles, it expands your horizons and will hopefully make you a better player....not that it's having that effect on my playing but at least I listening to some good music :)

In my experience, most jazz musicians like all sorts of music (most of us didn't start in jazz) but, as you get older and you have less and less time to dedicate to consuming music, you tend to go for the genres you get the most out of. I 'like' lots of genres but rarely listen to, buy or play them because I prefer jazz. My time and money is limited so I prioritise.

Just keep your ears open and enjoy what you enjoy.

I have been playing lead guitar for about 35 years. I have done all kinds of genres from Jazz stuff through fusion Blues and heavy metal.

As a guitarist I have always prefered to play Rock of one kind or another, I just find it more dynamic. Not much feels better in your twenties than standing on a stage and pounding out a blistering solo. In fact a friend of mine is a famous jazz and fusion session player and even he prefers to play rock guitar, even though he has earned his living from jazz and fusion

However as soon as I pick up my bass I find myself wanting to play Jazz, Funk and soul. and playing rock and metal on the bass just bores me to tears

I think it depends on what level your at. The more advanced you become technically the more you want to do on the bass rather than play root notes. you get the urge to become more melodic and play more frills and other genres as opposed to rock and metal often provide more opportunity to do that. Although of course there are exceptions such as players like Niel Murray etc who make rock playing a melodic art in itself

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='240256' date='Jul 15 2008, 05:57 PM']but does this work the other way round? For example, do Jazzers occasionally realise it could be beneficial to look outside their genre and take influences from elsewhere, and so listen to a bit of rock/metal/thrash etc?[/quote]
It certainly does. At one time, all I'd listen to was jazz, fusion, acid jazz, funk, etc. You get the idea. But now my listening tastes are a hell of a lot wider... my walkphone is currently playing host to the likes of AC-DC, RATM and Static-X, for example.

Before I started playing bass my mind remembered lyrics to songs

Now I dont remember lyrics really without a lot of effort; its bass lines, drum parts, rhythm guitar, keys, backing vox l
melody/harmony, lead vox melody. In that order...

Am I a freak??

[quote name='51m0n' post='240898' date='Jul 16 2008, 02:43 PM']Before I started playing bass my mind remembered lyrics to songs

Now I dont remember lyrics really without a lot of effort; its bass lines, drum parts, rhythm guitar, keys, backing vox l
melody/harmony, lead vox melody. In that order...

Am I a freak??[/quote]
Nope. I'm the same. In fact I can't even remember the names to songs anymore. I just listen out for the first 0.0001 seconds of a song and I'm in. At home I often resort to making up my own lyrics (sometimes even my own language) based on the original phonetics (somehow the phonetics stick but the actual words don't) of the lyrics in songs which really winds up my g/f as she knows the words to everything and it "puts her off". :)

im kinda the same. i listen to pop/punk music, but as i get better at bass i find that i'm lerning completely different stuff. the difference is that i learn this stuff cos the stuff i listen to is boring, whereas you just listen to it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='240989' date='Jul 16 2008, 03:52 PM']Nope. I'm the same. In fact I can't even remember the names to songs anymore. I just listen out for the first 0.0001 seconds of a song and I'm in. At home I often resort to making up my own lyrics (sometimes even my own language) based on the original phonetics (somehow the phonetics stick but the actual words don't) of the lyrics in songs which really winds up my g/f as she knows the words to everything and it "puts her off". :)[/quote]
Haha i'm the same, i find myself singing along to the guitar riffs and basslines more than the vocals these days XD I can never remeber the names of songs either, but once i've heard the first second of a song i'll know what it is most of the time.

Also I think playing bass has broadened my tastes a little, but not loads, considering i'm only i think a lot of it is because of i'm just growing up and listening to new things, there's new music i'll listen to but don't play on bass. I do want to be able to get into funk and jazz and stuff a bit more but i just can't, the best i can do at the moment is funk rock like the chilis (early chilis) and RATM, but i have started listening to and playing more porg rock/prog metal.

my music tastes changed massively when i started playing, or maybe that should read, broaden'd massively. i went from listening to carp pop to rock, metal, which then lead into funk metal, funk soul jazz punk. basically anything where i liked the bassline, and i also realised that alot of the stuff i had liked before was becasue of the basslines being the main melody.
i listen to most things now except dance stuff of any kind really as it rarely involves real instruments and that bugs me.

[quote name='Jesus' post='240265' date='Jul 15 2008, 06:16 PM']Nah... im as immature as it gets, and the day i dont laugh at American Pie & Super Bad will be the day i get myself cremated.[/quote]

Recently aquired beavis and butthead do america :)

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='241039' date='Jul 16 2008, 04:26 PM'].... i went from listening to [b]carp pop [/b]to rock, metal....[/quote]
[quote name='budget bassist' post='241027' date='Jul 16 2008, 04:20 PM']...but i have started listening to and playing more [b]porg rock[/b]/prog metal.[/quote]

Jeez I must be losing it. I've never heard of half these genres before. :) :huh:

[quote name='charic' post='241042' date='Jul 16 2008, 04:29 PM']Recently aquired beavis and butthead do america :huh:[/quote]
Don't wanna bust you bubble there kiddo but Bevis and Butthead are still relevant to the over 40's too. FARTKNOCKER! :)

edit : Actually scratch that. That comment was about maturity not age wasn't it. I've got plenty of one and only some of the other and that's why I still find saying fartknocker and tee-pee for my bung hole funny. Carry on. :wacko:

Edited by Ou7shined