Why become a member? ×

Carvin amps. Any good?

aldude

I ran the old PB500 (ProBass 500) some years ago, played it for about 12 years from the mid 90's Loved it. It was 250 watt stereo or bi amp or 500w bridged. similar features to the BX1600. I don't need that volume these days but I am thinking about changing my MB500 fusion for the BX700 for the graphic flexility and low high para mids available to control your sound. I found my old one to be very reliable and sounded great.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1399049001' post='2440504']
I am thinking about changing my MB500 fusion for the BX700 for the graphic flexibility and low high para mids available to control your sound.
[/quote]

You can't get sufficient mid-control with the GK MB500 Fusion? Interesting. :)
Note to all: If and when this amp becomes available in the for sale forum, buy it immediately!

Thanks for that [b]Dis' [/b]just got a bit of GAS at the moment. I love my MB 500 so the Carvin would have to be good. But the spec of the Carvin with Contour and two para's + graphic is damn good. I supose i could just get me an MXR graphic pedal :D watch this space

So! I gigged this beast.

Aaaand ... wow, I think this is the cab I've been looking for all these years! It has power in absolute spades - it was a smallish pub so I ran the amp through only the 4ohm Super 12T, the Compact was there to give the other cab height but wasn't plugged in. Still, the amp had more headroom than I would ever need (so through both cabs would be ...even more!!!)

The sound itself is very punchy - it's great. So easy to change the sound with the simple controls - low mid, mid etc... and if I needed thunderous bottom end then the sub bass control added ridiculous amounts of it if needed.

The sound itself is fairly "old school", particularly if you crank up the drive on the preamp tube, which I don't really do. Still I felt I was coming through loud and clear even up at the dusty end and I had a really great night because of it.

I would really recommend this amp to anyone! Can't comment on the BX series - 3 EQ stages is a bit mush for me - but I expect them to be great too.

If you're on the fence ... go for it!

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1399303179' post='2442901']
So! I gigged this beast.

Aaaand ... wow, I think this is the cab I've been looking for all these years! It has power in absolute spades - it was a smallish pub so I ran the amp through only the 4ohm Super 12T, the Compact was there to give the other cab height but wasn't plugged in. Still, the amp had more headroom than I would ever need (so through both cabs would be ...even more!!!)

The sound itself is very punchy - it's great. So easy to change the sound with the simple controls - low mid, mid etc... and if I needed thunderous bottom end then the sub bass control added ridiculous amounts of it if needed.

The sound itself is fairly "old school", particularly if you crank up the drive on the preamp tube, which I don't really do. Still I felt I was coming through loud and clear even up at the dusty end and I had a really great night because of it.

I would really recommend this amp to anyone! Can't comment on the BX series - 3 EQ stages is a bit mush for me - but I expect them to be great too.

If you're on the fence ... go for it!
[/quote]

Good food for thought there - thanks! Considering B1000 to power my BF Big Baby 2. Looks the business!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1398938254' post='2439139']
Be great to see one of these Carvin amps at The Herts Bass Bash if you`re coming along this year Barrie.
[/quote]

I can bring the whole range - they are all tiny and don't weigh much :)

Only problem might be if we sell lots - another went today. . .

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1399325844' post='2443218']

[/quote]

Oh yus! ;) :D

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1399325844' post='2443218']

[/quote]

Awesome, thanks very much.

First gig with BX700 last night.
Instant punch in chest, amazing power and sound, with virtually no fiddling. Slight cut on bass, slight cut on low mid at 200 hz, slight boost on high mid at 1.2khz (a soundman once told me to do that), no compression, graphic eq off, valve pre amp off.
Drive about 1 o'clock, master at about 9 o'clock. Against miked up drummer and guitarses.
Perception was much more powerful than GB Shuttle/ Streamliner 600, GK MB 500.
Fabulous, and learning this amp has just started. Picture at home
[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0517_zps471e7fbb.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1399795881' post='2447619']
First gig with BX700 last night.
Instant punch in chest, amazing power and sound, with virtually no fiddling. Slight cut on bass, slight cut on low mid at 200 hz, slight boost on high mid at 1.2khz (a soundman once told me to do that), no compression, graphic eq off, valve pre amp off.
Drive about 1 o'clock, master at about 9 o'clock. Against miked up drummer and guitarses.
Perception was much more powerful than GB Shuttle/ Streamliner 600, GK MB 500.
Fabulous, and learning this amp has just started.
[/quote]

Good news - keep us posted about how you get on with it :)

Guest bassman7755

How do the carvin amps sound with the preamp gain cranked - can you get a decent edging-into-crunch/dirt sound out of them ?. I'd like at some point to be able to move to something like a single midget/super midget based rig and it seems there arn't many micro amps that can deliver a really decent amount of real power into 8ohm. It seems at the moment that we have some amazing small/light cabs around that have the power handling and displacement to do almost anything yet few lightweight amps that can take full advantage of them.

Edited by bassman7755

I was just about to ask the same thing. I have a thread elsewhere describing my interest in one of these heads to replace my LMII and to use with my 8ohm 1x12. The control section looks about perfect for my needs (a bit of an eq freak!) but I'm very interested to hear how the preamp tube section sounds, particularly to get that 'just on the edge of drive' pushed tube amp tone.

Looks an excellent amp and at a good price too (£430). I am looking for something light to replace/supplement my DBS400 and have been considering an LMIII, but would love to try one of these out as well.

Only things that seem odd/ a shame is that if they could have fitted two Speakon/Jack combo sockets instead of one of each, and why did they put the valve bypass button on the back (or, indeed, not have a SS/Valve blend pot like some of amps do)?.

I love the demo on You-tube where the bas player just keeps going and someone else twiddles the knobs. Really lets you hear the range of sounds available - more demos should do it like this! Shame he didn't demo the Tube bypass in the same way.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1400334828' post='2453022']
How do the carvin amps sound with the preamp gain cranked - can you get a decent edging-into-crunch/dirt sound out of them ?. I'd like at some point to be able to move to something like a single midget/super midget based rig and it seems there arn't many micro amps that can deliver a really decent amount of real power into 8ohm. It seems at the moment that we have some amazing small/light cabs around that have the power handling and displacement to do almost anything yet few lightweight amps that can take full advantage of them.
[/quote]

I think the valve is there to add some warmth rather than as an overdriven stage. There's a little bit of drive kicking in if it's cranked all the way up but I would say it's anything like a classic valve amp.

The core tone is powerful and clean and relatively 'modern'.

I'm not entirely sure why the valve/SS button is on the back - I have a feeling it's really designed as an 'emergency' alternative if the valve fails rather than a tone-shaping option. In fact this happened to someone a couple of weeks ago. The valve was damaged in transit but he was still able to use the amp by bypassing the valve stage :)

• 6 months later...