Why become a member? ×

Carvin amps. Any good?

aldude

I had a Carvin B2000 for a while and liked it a lot. Very big sound - think stadium rock bass through an 8X10. :) I only moved it on because, like a lot of ageing bass players on this forum, I went down the lightweight route as I was afeared of doing my back in, getting yet another hernia or exploding my scrotum.

Having said that my valve rig is super-heavy, but I'm hanging onto it in the hope that a cure for ageing is found. :D

Edited by discreet

Is that the same as the current B2000? Carvin's web site shows that as being 13lb / less than 6kg.

I currently use a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.2 (2x 600W) to drive one 4 ohm and one 8 ohm cabs. But for me, it lacks.... something, I don't know, warmth, punch, something that I can't dial in, but I haven't been able to find a sound I'm completely happy with after a lot of fiddling. So am looking for something else that has dual amps or can go below a 4 ohm load. These Carvins seem to provide a lot for the money.

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1398346022' post='2433212']
Authentic art is born of experience. There must be a couple of decent songs in there. Worth the risk? :)
[/quote]

Yes, I suppose exploding your scrotum could be tantamount to losing your religion.

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1398345841' post='2433208']
Is that the same as the current B2000? Carvin's web site shows that as being 13lb / less than 6kg.
[/quote]

Yes, that's the one. It's fairly light considering it's a 2U X 19" rack amp.

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1398345841' post='2433208']I currently use a Genz Benz Shuttlemax 12.2 (2x 600W) to drive one 4 ohm and one 8 ohm cabs. But for me, it lacks.... something, I don't know, warmth, punch, something that I can't dial in, but I haven't been able to find a sound I'm completely happy with after a lot of fiddling. So am looking for something else that has dual amps or can go below a 4 ohm load. These Carvins seem to provide a lot for the money.
[/quote]

Would a Carvin will give you anything that a GB Shuttlemax can't? Have you considered perhaps looking at a different cab?

Edited by discreet

The B1000 is very new (first ones in the Uk arrived a few weeks ago) and there aren't many reviews out there yet.

At the risk of plagiarism here's what our esteemed friend above said about his B2000:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/204685-new-amp-day-carvin-b2000/

Basically the B1000 is the same but less powerful :)

It's warmer and fuller sounding than the BX range which is a bit more 'modern' sounding. Both ranges have a little valve in the pre but they're really there to add warmth rather than to be over-driven.

They're all really light weight - B2000 is 14lbs, B1000 is 6.5lbs, BX1600 is 8.5lbs and the baby BX700 is 6lbs.

I could say more but, as we're the main Carvin bass retailer, I shouldn't really sing their praises too much for fear of appearing overly biased :)

Aha, this is all good stuff, and Carvin look like a good amp to go for.

Discreet, like you it's been a long and difficult route to finding the right amp with the right tone. So far, I liked the tone of the TC RH450 but it was woefully underpowered for my band. A Trace Elliot 500-12 from the mid 2000's (seriously underrated amps imo) sounded pretty close and had plenty of power, but weighed a ton and suffered from reliability issues.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you go for the 2000W monster? Would not the 900W of the B1000 been enough? (Though this may not have been available at the time.)

I've also been through loads of cabs and you'll have to pry my Barefaced from my cold, dead fingers!

Edited by aldude

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1398348456' post='2433243']
Discreet, like you it's been a long and difficult route to finding the right amp with the right tone. So far, I liked the tone of the TC RH450 but it was woefully underpowered for my band. A Trace Elliot 500-12 from the mid 2000's (seriously underrated amps imo) sounded pretty close and had plenty of power, but weighed a ton and suffered from reliability issues.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you go for the 2000W monster? Would not the 900W of the B1000 been enough? (Though this may not have been available at the time.)
[/quote]

You're right, there was no B1000 available at the time. And it came up on BC at the right price, so I went for it.

I'll tell you this though, my GK MB500 Fusion is a beast. Plug and play, too. Huge heft available from it and it's very loud.
Not been as happy with an amp for a long time! And it's a one-finger lift! That and my BF cab are doing it for me big time. :)

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1398346003' post='2433211']
I have a Carvin 1000W power amp (non-lightweight). It's got some intelligent features and build quality is very good. I have my doubts about support though: I sent them a straightforward query by email and it was ignored.
[/quote]

The pro-sound team are different from the instrument and guitar/bass amp team so I can't really say how good they are but he guitar and amp guys are great. They now have one guy who starts at something like 6AM US West Coast time so that he's available in hours that are closer to a UK working day.

For general queries they would refer to a dealer to respond but, as I'm sure everyone here knows, not all dealers are that great at following up on stuff.

Bass specific queries tend to get sent to BassGear (where I work part-time) because we are the only bass dedicated dealer in the country.

We have supplied guitars, guitar kits and some spare parts for older amps and power amps in the past and stuff always arrives super quick.

In answer to Gareth's question - they don't have a dedicated repair team in the UK. We've only ever had one warranty claim and they just sent us a replacement part and our local repair man fitted it.

They used to have a UK warehouse but this has been closed down now so everything comes direct from the US.

Been happily using the BX500 for over a year now and love it. You folks must play in some VERY loud bands if you need all that extra power! Service from Bass Gear is brilliant as well (although I've not bumped into Barrie in my 3 trips there so far)!

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1398459476' post='2434464']
Been happily using the BX500 for over a year now and love it. You folks must play in some VERY loud bands if you need all that extra power! Service from Bass Gear is brilliant as well (although I've not bumped into Barrie in my 3 trips there so far)!
[/quote]

I don't actually exist - I am merely a virtual assistant. . .

Very happy BX1500 user here, most versatile amp I've ever used although admittedly now I use an Ampeg SVT2 pre amp with it too. It does sound fantastic without the preamp, very clean and modern tones, but the pre does make it a bit warmer/ vintage sounding for my reggae tonal needs. It is also very light. If it was stolen I'd bypass all the other competitors and buy exactly the same again. Bassgear were great to deal with too...hope they stock the Carvin cabs one day ;)

Edited by Raslee

So ..... I got a B1000, and used it in anger on Tuesday evening at rehearsal.

And ... wow this thing is loud. I mean, this thing on it's minimum volume seems pretty loud so I would keep the "active" switch enabled or turn down the bass - I'm in a loud band anyway though so it doesn't matter to me!

Sounds lovely though. I don't usually use tube overdrive because I don't really like it ... until now! It adds a growly grit to the sound that I quite like and is less harsh than other tube preamps I've tried.

The amp also seems very, very transparent. That is, anything that I seem to play seems to come right through - I tend to play a bit percussively when I get excited and that definitely comes through. It's also quite high on the treble side so that needs to be toned back, I usually have to turn the treble up.

All in all it seems like a pretty decent amp. We shall see how it fares at a gig this Saturday night!

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1398935252' post='2439107']
All in all it seems like a pretty decent amp. We shall see how it fares at a gig this Saturday night!
[/quote]

Phew, well I'm glad you like it! We await your gig review.

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1398348456' post='2433243']
If you don't mind me asking, why did you go for the 2000W monster?
[/quote]

I should also have said that though 2000W RMS is the maximum from the B2000, that is at 2ohms - using the amp with one 8ohm cab gives around 800W and with two 8ohm cabs (which is what I used) you get 'only' 1300W. Which is still fairly loud, as you now appreciate. ;)

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1398935252' post='2439107']
So ..... I got a B1000, and used it in anger on Tuesday evening at rehearsal.

And ... wow this thing is loud. I mean, this thing on it's minimum volume seems pretty loud so I would keep the "active" switch enabled or turn down the bass - I'm in a loud band anyway though so it doesn't matter to me!

Sounds lovely though. I don't usually use tube overdrive because I don't really like it ... until now! It adds a growly grit to the sound that I quite like and is less harsh than other tube preamps I've tried.

The amp also seems very, very transparent. That is, anything that I seem to play seems to come right through - I tend to play a bit percussively when I get excited and that definitely comes through. It's also quite high on the treble side so that needs to be toned back, I usually have to turn the treble up.

[/quote]

If I remember correctly the 'treble' centre point on the B1000 is set quite high (as is the sub bass) so cutting this back a bit should just soften the top end a bit without compromising nicer elements of your tone.

Cutting some some sub bass and high treble still leaves you with bass / low mid / mid / high mid to play with for more 'traditional' tome shaping too :)

It sure is loud. Also has a lot more oomph than some amps I've tried. Moves a lot of air, if you see what I mean.

I'm running at 2.66 ohms - one 8ohm and one 4ohm cab - so the amp will put out about 750W or thereabouts. It seems that's more than enough! Mind you the cabs are Barefaced so that might explain the volume!

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1398939081' post='2439150']
I love my Carvin. It's the closest thing I've found to an all-valve amp without being all-valve! Oh, and it's VERY loud!
[/quote]

Glad to read this post - I thought I'd seen you had cooled your opinion of it and was worried I'd given some bad advice!

Not at all Mykesbass. It was great of you to let me try yours at a gig by the way! I was converted by the end of one song, I just enjoyed the rest of the set. My Genz seemed cold and lifeless after you'd left with it. I ordered mine the next day.

To clarify, the Carvin is not an all valve amp, it's the closest thing (I have tried) to the feel of all-valve by a long way.

I have also purchased an all valve amp, which is great up to a point. At 160W I find it gasping for breath on bigger gigs. It also weighs more than the rest of my gear put together. I've got 3 gigs this weekend, two will be with the Carvin.

So in summary, if you absolutely want no compromise big all-valve sound, you'll need an all-valve amp. If you want to get 90% of the way there (and let's face it only you will know the difference) then I would heartily recommend the Carvin BX series.

I would also say that their 500W model is about as loud as the Shuttle 9.2 was.