Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic is definately better than Markbass !!

cliffyspliff

Can't Agree. TC Electronic are well designed with some very user friendly funtionality and innovations. But for me live gig sound is the top priority and I subjectively prefer the sound and tone of Markbass. TC electronic always sounds a little compressed and synthetic compared to Markbass. (If only Markbass amps had mute switches). I have used Markbass for several years and they are very reliable. I recently bought a TC electronic BG250/208 which is a brilliant great value little combo for practicing etc, but I am awaiting a replacement (due to a DI out fault).

[quote name='gazhowe' timestamp='1411196091' post='2557349']
Got to agree with the above. I've gone from Markbass to TC and then back again. When I originally bought my Markbass head I chose the MoMark ([url="http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=212"]http://www.markbass....tail.php?id=212[/url]) over the LM3 due to the aesthetics and modular design. I don't love the yellow knobs but they are easy to see in a gig situation.

I really like the feature set and aesthetics of the RH450 but, for me, the Markbass sound has won over the RH450 twice now despite the amps not being as good to look at (IMO).
[/quote]

How are you liking the momark? I'm only at the looking phase, but I like the look of the LMT 800.

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1414610515' post='2591368']
I don't understand how so many people use TC when they've lied about the power output of their amps?!
[/quote]

Because they like the sound and the thing really is loud enough for many?

I owned an RH450 for a while. I liked it when I bought it and it didn't suddenly sound weak when I found out it wasn't 450W :lol:

In the end I sold it because I discovered I liked other amps better (MarkBass in particular, then Genz Benz too).

But I'd agree it was a pretty silly move by TC Electronic. Or was it? When I was looking for an amp, if I had read "236W" (or even 250!), I admit I would have not considered it. So they got my attention through that lie, and I suspect the attention of many others. That led to a sale. But the sale was made through my trying it and liking it. I was allowed to take it to rehearsal before making up my mind... and it just seemed to work great. I like other amps better now, but it doesn't mean the RH450 is rubbish. :)

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1414417751' post='2589058']
Can't Agree. TC Electronic are well designed with some very user friendly funtionality and innovations. But for me live gig sound is the top priority and I subjectively prefer the sound and tone of Markbass. TC electronic always sounds a little compressed and synthetic compared to Markbass. (If only Markbass amps had mute switches). I have used Markbass for several years and they are very reliable. I recently bought a TC electronic BG250/208 which is a brilliant great value little combo for practicing etc, but I am awaiting a replacement (due to a DI out fault).
[/quote] I have a TC 250 & it sounds thin sounding compared to my Little Rocker this does have a Mute pull on the master volume ...But in my opinion it is a daft idea because when gigging if you have sweaty hands like I get trying to pull the master knob isn't that easy & it's too easy to change the volume . I also have a MOmark but only the 250 frame & I think this is under powered ,

[quote name='cliffyspliff' timestamp='1412594731' post='2570148']

[b]Was just making a statement as I do prefer the sound.... of the TC...[/b]

[b]Plus i have had TWO newish Markbass cmd102p`s bite the dust on me during gigs.... thank god they were still under warranty[/b]

[b]Im also sorry for spelling DEFINITELY wrong in the title :gas: [/b]
[/quote]

Two of these babies going down on you is unreal. IME Markbass make pretty reliable kit.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414615553' post='2591488']
I have a TC 250 & it sounds thin sounding compared to my Little Rocker this does have a [b]Mute pull on the master volume[/b] ...But in my opinion it is a daft idea because when gigging if you have sweaty hands like I get trying to pull the master knob isn't that easy & it's too easy to change the volume . I also have a MOmark but only the 250 frame & I think this is under powered ,
[/quote]

My LM Tube 800 also has a mute, the same type: pull on the volume knob.

I don't find it hard to grab and pull at all... but then I don't get sweaty hands during gigs, so I don't know how it performs "in the wet" :P
However I did find a bit annoying the fact that you have to be careful not to alter the volume while doing so. Silly design, it should be a separate button. But still, I'm glad it has a mute, rather than none at all (where I would just turn down entirely, so the volume knob also would be altered ;))

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1414610450' post='2591366']

How are you liking the momark? I'm only at the looking phase, but I like the look of the LMT 800.
[/quote]

I like the Momark so much I've got two of them! Apart from having a sound I like, the modular design is great if you want to try a different feature set without the cost of buying a new amp. I replaced the solid state pre-amp with a valve one and also changed the EQ section but could easily swap them back in 10 minutes if I wanted to. And the mute button is separate from the volume knob unlike on some other heads referred to in this thread.

[quote name='stuckinthepod' timestamp='1414685089' post='2592250']
I'm surprised so many people have found their TC's to be quiet. My BG500 is ridiculously loud, I've never had it past 3 (9.30pm on the volume at pub gigs and no need to DI it. I'm really enjoying using it.
[/quote]

I did play a gig once just using the classic 450 head and just a RS 210 cab and it was underpowered in a Rockband situation ... Add an RS 212 cab to that and it's plenty loud enough With lots of headroom 🙋

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1414665246' post='2591929']
I wish I had got the 800w frame .. Do you notice a difference between the 500 & 800 ?
[/quote]

I had the 500w frame first and then bought the 800w via BC as a backup. I have the same modules in both of my Momark amp frames and have gigged both with the same eq settings on the amp and using the same bass (eq set flat). After gigging with the 800w frame for a half a dozen gigs I found that:[list=1]
[*]I think that there is a subtle sound difference but it's hard to give a definitive answer on what it is. If anything I would say that the 500w frame amp feels like it has a slightly warmer sound.
[*]I had the output volume on the 800w at almost the same level as on the 500w (I don't go through the PA). I'm sure someone has done a proper output comparison that would prove that the 800w output is louder and I was just turning up too much on these gigs! :D
[*]The 800w frame amp didn't get as hot as the 500w frame amp, which seems logical given the different class A/B and class D amps.
[/list]
I've gone back to using the 500w frame for reason 1 alone although I would happily gig with and recommend either frame. I hope this info is useful. B)

[quote name='Guinness21' timestamp='1414610515' post='2591368']
I don't understand how so many people use TC when they've lied about the power output of their amps?!
[/quote]

No more than Genz Benz did. Look around the back of a Streamliner 900 and you will see above the mains inlet the words 'MAXIMUM AVERAGE POWER CONSUMPTION 650 WATTS'. It's all to do with how they handle the peaks...

[quote name='gazhowe' timestamp='1414702171' post='2592527']
I had the 500w frame first and then bought the 800w via BC as a backup. I have the same modules in both of my Momark amp frames and have gigged both with the same eq settings on the amp and using the same bass (eq set flat). After gigging with the 800w frame for a half a dozen gigs I found that:[list=1]
[*]I think that there is a subtle sound difference but it's hard to give a definitive answer on what it is. If anything I would say that the 500w frame amp feels like it has a slightly warmer sound.
[*]I had the output volume on the 800w at almost the same level as on the 500w (I don't go through the PA). I'm sure someone has done a proper output comparison that would prove that the 800w output is louder and I was just turning up too much on these gigs! :D
[*]The 800w frame amp didn't get as hot as the 500w frame amp, which seems logical given the different class A/B and class D amps.
[/list]
I've gone back to using the 500w frame for reason 1 alone although I would happily gig with and recommend either frame. I hope this info is useful. B)
[/quote]

I didn't realize they had two different types of power , I think i'll go for the 500 then . :)

Edited by Kevin Dean

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1414705810' post='2592588']
No more than Genz Benz did. Look around the back of a Streamliner 900 and you will see above the mains inlet the words 'MAXIMUM AVERAGE POWER CONSUMPTION 650 WATTS'. It's all to do with how they handle the peaks...
[/quote] Isn't that the power taken to power it & not the watts it produces ?

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1415307590' post='2599144']
Isn't that the power taken to power it & not the watts it produces ?
[/quote]

The point probably being that if it consumes 650W, it's going to be difficult to output 900W for any length of time, I suppose.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Black Coffee' timestamp='1398116715' post='2430709']

When i started a 15watt carlsboro combo was my amp.
Prospect of 200watts of trace Elliott and I'd have been frothing at the mouth with excitement.

Nowadays we talk 500watt heads like its totally normal. Has something changed?
[/quote]

Watts have become devalued. I suspect that the clean level I can generate from my old Acoustic 170 or a 90s Trace, even through modern cabs, far exceeds moder class D amps. As for a Bassman 135 or big Marshall... Or Orange...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='jahfish' timestamp='1426686657' post='2720771']
Is the general verdict that Markbass amp heads are great, their cabs/speakers not quite so?
[/quote]

I think it's mostly that they sound very midrangey to peoples ears, because they are used to cabs with a less pure tone. You always have to adjust your settings when using them... However I have found that the tone through cabs is extremely close to what you get when you DI, so this works wonderfully!

Another point might be that the smaller cabs have really harsh sounding piezo tweeters, and it's the bigger cabs (102HF and up) that sound better and more natural

I'm not fond of Markbass cabs but I've heard several players sounding very good with MB cabs, so what do I know!

On the other hand, I owned a Markbass LM2 which I played through 2 Aguilar GS112 cabs and an Epifani UL410 and that amp sounded very, very good.