Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic is definately better than Markbass !!

cliffyspliff

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1398333598' post='2432935']
That set up would be challenging for sure. In such circumstances the bass player might well have to compensate, in order to hit on a tone that works best for the group rather than just the bass player
[/quote]

Absolutely. That and the purchase of a Schroeder or Barefaced cab. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398333110' post='2432925']
I'm in a 3+1 and have educated the guitarist on this point. Luckily he's relatively ego-free (for a guitarist) so all is well. :)
Mind you I can't imagine how difficult it would be with two guitarists, keyboards, brass and three vocalists...
[/quote]

I'm currently playing in an Orchestra. Trying to get the bass guitar heard next to the tuba and trombone is a nightmare!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1398333808' post='2432942']
I'm currently playing in an Orchestra. Trying to get the bass guitar heard next to the tuba and trombone is a nightmare!
[/quote]

I can only imagine your pain! Nearest I got was a nine-piece function band - drums, bass, guitar, trumpet, trombone, sax, singer and two backing singers. Challenging enough, particularly as the drummer's timing was a bit 'special'. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398334368' post='2432959']
I can only imagine your pain! Nearest I got was a nine-piece function band - drums, bass, guitar, trumpet, trombone, sax, singer and two backing singers. Challenging enough, particularly as the drummer's timing was a bit 'special'. ;)
[/quote]

I've got a psycho on the Kettle drums to cope with. I can't work out if he thinks he's marking time on a Viking Longship or he wants to be in Slipknot.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1398337984' post='2433051']
I've got a psycho on the Kettle drums to cope with. I can't work out if he thinks he's marking time on a Viking Longship or he wants to be in Slipknot.
[/quote]

Holy crap! Well, at least you don't have to carry them, I suppose.

• 4 months later...

Bought brand new and boxed Markbass 2x10 combo accompanied with a brand new MB 2x10 cab. Tried several bases thru this set up, just could not get on with it. (They were taken out of the boxes) I sold them after about a month and bought TC 450 with 2 x 2x10 cabs. Love it.
So even though my wife is Italian, it's not MB for me. Although as someone said previous MB sounds good when somebody else is playing thru it. In one case it was a P bass.

[quote name='geoff90guitar' timestamp='1410815049' post='2553584']
Although as someone said previous MB sounds good when somebody else is playing thru it. In one case it was a P bass.
[/quote]

Even the cheapest nastiest P bass copy has authority through a Markbass rig! But yeah it is whatever what suits the player. I've played through an all valve SVT 810 rig and it just didn't work for me at all! I don't even like TC stuff despite the incredible sounds I've heard other people get. The only thing that works for me is Markbass with a load of pedals in front :lol:

I've had 2 Markbass amps, one I loved and one I didn't, and 2 TC amps, loved both.

I sold the MB's to get the TC's and sold the TC's to get my Thunderfunk.

I've heard players sounding great on gear that I couldn't sound good on in a million years, and there are many who can make great gear sound pretty average, so I wouldn't say any of the makes in this post were better or worse than the other.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1410860987' post='2553883']
Would this thread have more useful meaning if folk backed up their preferences with info on what genre of music they play?

OK, this may be a noob question, but IMHO it could be interesting to to see if some patterns appear in the preferences.
[/quote]

Through My Markbass I played rock to start with, after that band I went on to play folk, country, jazz & blues. Then Back to some rock & then to electronica & dubstep.
I got compliments on my sound from it in each band at least once.

But... That's not down to just the rig alone, but the bass, the effects & my awesome/awful skills. The rig just amplified exactly what I wanted it to sound like.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1410860987' post='2553883']
Would this thread have more useful meaning if folk backed up their preferences with info on what genre of music they play?

OK, this may be a noob question, but IMHO it could be interesting to to see if some patterns appear in the preferences.
[/quote]

Interesting point there. Also interesting that a lot seem to like the Markbass/Precision pairing as well.That could be a pattern to spot too, what basses with what amps.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1410881788' post='2554257']
Interesting point there. Also interesting that a lot seem to like the Markbass/Precision pairing as well.That could be a pattern to spot too, what basses with what amps.
[/quote]
Well my bass was an Ibanez SR1000 with flatwounds & mostly balanced to the P pickup at the neck (sometimes a small amount of the J at the bridge if I wanted more burp).

I play in a covers band - everything from old school soul to 70s and 80s funk and disco to 80s new wave and contemporary indie. I’m also in the process of getting a jazz standards band together, and I also do some solo electronic stuff - bass, laptop and looper. In other words, a very mixed bag.

Currently using TC Electronic RH750 through a TC RS212 and RS210 vertical stack - see pic - and loving it. I wouldn’t say it was ‘better’ sounding than MB or any other big-name brand, but it definitely sounds great and is by far the most versatile rig I have ever owned - it can do pretty much any sound I want, which is especially useful for the covers band. It’s also SUPER loud - I have no problems at all in a band mix that includes drums, two guitars, keys, sax and two singers (one of whom has gone temporarily AWOL in the pic - slunk off to the bar, no doubt). I also really like the various bells and whistles (tuner, tubetone, compression) and the ability to store 3 presets, although I’ve tended to use these not for storing different tones but for different gain settings, so I can jump between different basses without driving the FOH crazy. (Current basses are a brace of MTDs and a Ray 5, but in the past there has also been a Sandberg California and/or a couple of Fender Jazzes at various times.)

[url="http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/grammefriday/media/allstars_zpsc204cb73.jpg.html"][/url]

I bought the cabs with the intention of using them in a modular way - i.e. take just the 210 to rehearsals and v small gigs, take just the 212 to pub/medium sized gigs, and only ever use the full rig for open air festivals and the like. But once I started using it I found that it sounds best when I use the full rig all the time (with volume on VERY low, natch), so that’s what I do. This may sound like overkill but actually it is an absolute doddle, as the cabs are very light and portable, and the stack has a very small footprint so I can use the full rig even on v cramped stages. As for the sound quality, it turns out that TC’s vertical stacking concept is not just marketing BS - it actually works as described. Having the 212s on the floor really does give huge amounts of fat, warm low end, and having the 210s sitting on top gives really nice snap, definition and detail. And I can actually hear what I am playing all the time.

As I said above, I wouldn’t want to claim that it was better sounding than MB stuff or any other brand, but I wouldn’t swap my TC stuff for MB either. The only time I feel a bit of ‘amp envy’ is when I hear someone playing through a full Aguilar rig, as that really does have a special buttery tone that would be nice to have on tap. But whenever GAS strikes and I start toying with the idea of trading my TC stuff in for a Tone Hammer (my back and bank balance mean that a DB751 is totally out of the question) I just ask myself: does the Aguilar stuff sound so much better that you are prepared to forego all of the things you like about the TC rig (tonal flexibility, ergonomic design, built-in features, etc etc)? The answer - so far - is always ‘no’.

[quote name='fred72' timestamp='1398182428' post='2431308']
[sub]... looked at MarkBass, but just didn't like the aesthetic - call me fickle. [/sub]
[/quote]
Yeah, know what you mean. I know it's totally superficial, but this is probably the only sense in which I would agree with the OP. TC gear looks 21st century. Same with GK - all those blue, purple and red colour rings and stuff - pretty, pretty, wanty wanty. In comparison, got to admit that Markbass stuff looks a bit ... well ... 1975. A pity, really, as it sounds fantastic.