Why become a member? ×

iPad Reliability

nnspok

Hi Folks-

Have a question for you, hopefully this is the right section to post it in.

I've been looking at getting an iPad in order to have a less stressful and more professional way of having charts with me for certain gigs. Ideally, would love to be doing all my gigs chart free, but have been getting more last minute swing type functions in lately where memorising 3 hours worth of material in the given time just won't happen for me. This along with some other possible cruise work on the table has led me to think it might be worth dishing out to get one...

My main concern is turning up to a gig with all my charts on the iPad and having the iPad not work or stop working in the middle of a gig. So am wondering if anyone in the basschat community uses an iPad for gigs, and more specifically, has anything ever gone wrong with it when you needed it to work?
Any comments are much appreciated!
All the best,
-Noah

I'm on my third iPad and they're brilliant. Get a full sized one though, that's why I'm on my third. Went for a mini after my iPad 2 to discover it's too small. I've got a clamp for mine which lets it go on a music stand, and it's great for my charts and such. The only gripe I've had is turning pages every now and again, sometimes it's not as co-operative as I'd like. Set it up with AirTurn and it'll be fantastic though.

There are plenty of apps around too such as iRealPro, Songbook, MusicNotes Viewer.

If there's pro bassists using them live for amp modelling & effects, it shows that the reliability is pretty good.
I had 1 issue after upgrading to ios7 where the iPad would restart randomly, but that was rectified with an update.

I've had mine for three years, and I've used it for one thing or another every single day (and I mean Every Single Day), and it's never let me down. Musically, I practice with it, use it for charts live (got one of them stand gripper things) and now I'm going to be using it for signal processing live, too (the Jamup Ampeg sim is very very good).

So yeah, I'd say go for it!

I got my wife an ipad mini and it just stopped working after a week, replacement seems OK so far, so hopefully just an isolated occurrence!

Computers do go wrong, so I'd have some sort of backup strategy (even if it is squinting at your phone) just in case.

This is just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Good to hear some many of you are using them. Handy little things aren't they...

Big thank you to all who have commented. Cheers for the advice and seems like it might be time to dish out on one before my student discount runs out:)
All the best
-N