Why become a member? ×

Sending basses through post...

ML94

Hi guys,

I wanted to know what you guys use as in couriers to post a bass including price and level of cover ? Also do you add a little bit more protection just in case e.g. bubble wrap.

I've only sent another one but the time has come where i have to get rid of another one via post ....

How much is the bass worth?

I've sent a good few basses using collectplus.co.uk.

Ignore their size limits and just wrap it well, weigh it, buy a label and drop it off at the mailing point - see their site and they do a good job.

The cost is about £15 including insurance for up to £300. Other threads here will tell you; getting a carrier to insure for more than £300 is hard/impossible.

I would check the small print. Parcel Force insurance doesn't cover musical instruments or something silly like that. Interparcel has always been ok and, if you check out my feedback, you'll see an indecent amount of to-ing and fro-ing - I have used them a fair bit! :)

Packaging - if you can, get a bass box from a music shop. Some are pleased to get shot of them. If not, lots of other old cardboard taped together works ok. Yes, lots of bubblewrap.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1395854152' post='2407229']
Why not post a thread asking "Is anyone travelling from Brum to.....?"
Then ask the BCer to take it.
[/quote]

It's a great idea but I just wouldn't be comfurtable sending it off with someone I don't know, if you know what I mean.

I tend to use Interparcel - insurance is available - I normally visit electrical shops (Homebase/ B&Q) where they sell bulking items like fridges and ask them for a box which can be cut to fit. They'll also provide sheets of polystyrene which you can use for added protection but doesn't add too much. I do use a lot of brown tape using this method though...

I recently bought a bass where the seller added a couple of boards to protect the neck..which I thought was inventive..

The last 2 or 3 I`ve sent have been UPS, booked via Interparcel. The last 2, although I`ve paid for 2 day delivery they were both delivered within 1 day. They also will insure up to £1000 - provided in a hard case.

I've just received a bass from another BC member - it travelled from London to Greater Manchester via Parcelforce 48, wrapped in bubblewrap inside a cardboard box (that actually was designed to hold a bass guitar) and there were no problems. I received a bass last year from an eBay member that arrived wrapped only in bubblewrap (again I think via Parcelforce) and remarkably it was undamaged! In both cases the instrument had been sold for less than £200 (so not hugely valuable guitars); you can up the amount of insurance cover (default is £100, the next £100 of cover costs £1.20).

[url="http://www.parcelforce.com/help-information/compensation-refunds-and-claims/items-we-exclude-compensation"]http://www.parcelforce.com/help-information/compensation-refunds-and-claims/items-we-exclude-compensation[/url]

worth a read if your using parcel force, they in fact will not offer compensation on damaged instruments even if its insured

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1395863630' post='2407412']
Yes, bit sneaky, they`ll take your money, but then refuse payout stating the responsibility was yours to read the small-print.
[/quote]

Which is exactly why I won't use them. They are sneaky, robbing gits :angry:

I mostly use Paisley Freight these days.

Another +1 for Interparcel. The missus takes it to her workplace and they pick up from there, you can even stipulate the hours of collection. Even on their own standard service they offer increased insurance cover (although thankfully I've never had to claim on it, so I can't say how good it is) and I've sent basses to Holland and Belgium recently with no drama.

Used Interparcel/UPS many times for basses, amps and cabs. Never had a single problem with them, and always delivered next day (apart from one that had to go from West Cornwall to Perth, Scotland, and took 2 days, unsurprisingly)

Our receptionists at work are now quite used to large, slim, boxes arriving and departing :D

Edited by davehux

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1395854020' post='2407223']
i vaguely remember from another thread that parcel force specifically don't insure instruments not sure if i'm right but definitely worth checking as i doubt they would advertise that fact well
[/quote]
They do if you adhere exactly to their specifications