Why become a member? ×

Twisted sister and Celtic frost ..

Sister were, IMO no worse than most early 80's hair bands ( I like them all! ) , obviously influenced by the likes of Kiss, they did some memorable bubble gum rock anthems and had an image that most people that liked rock at the time will remember, even if they didn' t like the band. Stay Hungry album I seem to remember liking. I personally think of them as a kind of forerunner for Motley Crue, although probably only by a short time! No they weren't Van Halen, or Dokken, but I remember them ( being about 14 at the time! ) as a fun band, like an OTT American version of Slade! I can't imagine they ever set out to be Led Zeppelin!

The earlier Twisted Sister was good, Under the Blade is a heavy album, You can't stop Rock and Roll was ok! Stay Hungry moved more towards the hair metal scene but was ok, Come out and Play was poor and Love is for Suckers, well, it sucked.

Saw twisted sister in the guildhall in portsmouth, even though I wasn't a fan, and it was one of the best gigs I saw, they were really good with the audience and it was a fun gig. Saw them another couple of times after that.

Celtic frost were ok, saw them in london when i had a friend that worked for kerang took me as he had to interview them. I had the tshirt for a long time, but only because I liked the design!

Should've clarified in my original post(did it on a train). Imho TS were great , until the come out and play album. Saw them acoupleof times and they were great live.
Dee is a brilliant frontman. One of my friends hates them . "It's for 15 year olds .."
As for celtic frost; nobody seems to mention them on here. Saw them acoupleof of times . The most dry ice (frost I guess) , at their gig at the hammy o.
Didn't get them at first, but grew to love them. . Mind you, the guitar solos are all from the Les Dawson school of soloing.

Btw; the Dee Snider book is a grea t read. The TomGWarrior book 'Are you morbid' is brilliant. Both say alot about the breaks in the music industry ( or lack of) ,amongst other things.

I was at another gig back around '93 and this guy in the audience was showing off a massive Twisted Sister tattoo he'd just had done. At the time I thought it was a little silly but periodically over the last 21yrs I've often thought back to him & wondered how he feels about it now.

Personally I think the music scene is lacking some pop rock FUN bands at the moment, I suppose Blink 182 and some Green Day might qualify, but even those bands are a few years ago now, where's the new Twisted Sister......( o.k forgot about Steel Panther.......)!!!!!!

Celtic Frost are/were superb IMO, the first 3 records (Morbid Tales, Emperor's Return & To Mega Therion) were just raw slabs of intense metal, and all the better for it. Pandemonium was a bit more refined and a lot more experimental, but they also started to go a bit more "glam" as well. Shame. "Vanity Nemesis" wasn't too bad thankfully. I was deeply disappointed with the Apollyon Sun albums. "Monotheist" was a good comeback, but was diluted a bit too much IMO, and didn't capture the essential "Frost-y-ness". However, IMO, Tom's return in Triptykon saw an excellent return to form, and I am really looking forward to the new album coming out in April.

As for Twisted Sister, was never really a fan, though they were a bit of fun.

To this day, I am convinced that Lady GaGa is the offspring of Dee Snyder. :lol:

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='sykilz' timestamp='1395495114' post='2403031']
( o.k forgot about Steel Panther.......)!!!!!!
[/quote]

Steel Panther are a bit a guilty pleasure of mine. Death to all but metal ...

[size=4][sub]Twisted Sister was my first ever 'proper' gig. Think I was 17 (29 years ago). Ipswich Gaumont. I can still remember the truly life changing buzz of it all (Might have been helped by the Dutch guys smoking their own brand tobacco behind us.)[/sub][/size]

[size=4][sub]Yes, it was on the back of the 'not so great' Come Out and Play album, but it got me hooked for a lifetime of watching proper bands putting on a show. [/sub][/size][size=4][sub]Give me a dodgy wig and over the top delivery over worthy shoegazers anytime! [/sub][/size]

[size=4][sub]Love is for Suckers was truly awful though....[/sub][/size]

[size=4][sub]I AM AN SMF.[/sub][/size]

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1395666032' post='2404794']
I saw TS supporting Alice Cooper at the MEN arena maybe 5 years ago. Scary; but Dee is good value as a front man though.
[/quote]

I think that would be the tour when they threw Viking Skull off the bill, owing either to ego or a refusal of the smaller band to fund TS' gratuitous backline - or so the rumours go :lol: