Why become a member? ×

One of the oddest bass demos I've seen online...

LukeFRC

this has to be one of the oddest things I've seen... good descriptions, nice guy, british accent.... but I can't really understand his playing or the tone/amp he's got (or how that would sell the bass) no slapping though which is nice. Like... what genre is that kinda bass line from? Am i just being stupid here and you'll tell me that's actually the Who or Jamerson or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i8qhjPkDWw

I believe GAK are quite happy to receive constructive criticism on these YouTube demos so for those here who want to make suggestions then let them know what you think. I imagine a fair bit of the character of what we've heard is the amp/cab so maybe they need to just take a clean DI'd signal?

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1395051905' post='2397994']
Just an amiable chap playing a few indie/rock/pop bass lines through an amp setting which is far too overdriven and middy to be of any real use for a demo.
[/quote]

But that's probably exactly the sounded needed for those lines to sit nicely in a band mix.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1395052445' post='2398006']
But that's probably exactly the sounded needed for those lines to sit nicely in a band mix.
[/quote]

That may be true, But the review doesn't show off the range of sounds the bass is capable of. This is supposed to be a review of the instrument, not some dude showing off his indie licks.

[quote name='ratman' timestamp='1395056599' post='2398061']

That may be true, But the review doesn't show off the range of sounds the bass is capable of. This is supposed to be a review of the instrument, not some dude showing off his indie licks.
[/quote]

Yeah, the amp settings are so coloured that they don't let you know what the actual bass sounds like. Good for indie band mix, even good as part of an amp demo, but bad as a bass demo.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1395059011' post='2398083']
TBH I never watch any of these on-line demos any more because when I actually get to play the basses for myself I sound nothing like the demo did.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have a video of the maker demoing my actual bass, and it sounds really different in my hands.

[quote name='Toddy' timestamp='1395063785' post='2398156']
Sounds to me as if he is having a go at "Twisted" by Skunk Anansie.
[/quote]

ahhhhh! that makes sense - I can at least imagine a genre.
Like I said - found it an odd demo- a obviously good player, playing a song well but through possibly the wrong amp to show off the bass.