Why become a member? ×

Slapping

Mornats

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1394817615' post='2395617']
I slap, but I am trying to slap like the old school players did back in the'70's/early 1980's before slapping became an Olympic event...
[/quote]

Yes, that's what I'd do... if necessary. ;) Larry Graham [i]et al[/i], that kind of thing.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394817966' post='2395624']
Yes, that's what I'd do... if necessary. ;) Larry Graham [i]et al[/i], that kind of thing.
[/quote]

Yes, Larry knew what he was doing , no doubt about that.

By comparison, so much contemporary" trade show" slapping has no apparent practical use in a real world musical situation. Off the top of my head, the only song I can think that has got anything on it remotely like what some of these modern guys are doing to show off is the slap solo in "Stomp" by The Brothers Johnson. In most other instances, even on tracks with prominent slap bass on them, the slapping is usually comparatively simple or straightforward, at least.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1394818977' post='2395643']
This kind of topic should have been dead and buried years ago, it doesn't belong on a bass forum in 2014. Disappointing.
[/quote]

Hey, if we didn't go round in an 18-month cycle, there wouldn't BE any bass forum. Thhp! :P

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1394823928' post='2395709']

Yes, it's often disappointing when people state their point of view on a public forum.
[/quote]

He says, in response to a post expressing someone's point of view on a topic...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1394824394' post='2395718']

Yes, exactly. Ironic isn't it. I didn't think it needed saying out loud but never mind.
[/quote]

I just don't get your point. You appear to feel that people expressing their opinion is a good thing on a forum whilst using it as a way of stirring and antagonising other members which is the main thing on Basschat that distracts from discussions between people with differing (valid) opinions.

That's just my opinion, of course.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1394824629' post='2395725']
I just don't get your point. You appear to feel that people expressing their opinion is a good thing on a forum whilst using it as a way of stirring and antagonising other members which is the main thing on Basschat that distracts from discussions between people with differing (valid) opinions.

That's just my opinion, of course.
[/quote]
I don't understand why you are stirred and antagonised, nor what would be wrong with posts that stir and antagonise. I also don't understand why you pick on my post rather than the post to which I responded - which it seemed to me was disturbed by people stating their points of view.

But I don't actually care one way or the other.

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1394818977' post='2395643']
This kind of topic should have been dead and buried years ago, it doesn't belong on a bass forum in 2014. Disappointing.
[/quote]

Really? No one can have a new opinion? It started off as a joke for slapping heck's sake and people got bees up in their bonnet!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1394827444' post='2395773']
I'm partial to some tasteful slab. Our band has recently added Hungary Like The Wolf to our set which had some simple octaves.
[/quote]

Here are some more tasteful Hungarian slabs:
[url="http://www.stonecontact.com/p/stone-tiles-slabs/hungary-supplier"]http://www.stonecont...ungary-supplier[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1394827444' post='2395773']
I'm partial to some tasteful slab. Our band has recently added Hungary Like The Wolf to our set which had some simple octaves.
[/quote]

tasteful like this?

[url="http://youtu.be/xp4ndfacKs0"]http://youtu.be/xp4ndfacKs0[/url]

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1394829897' post='2395819']
tasteful like this?
[/quote]

GET IN, YOU BEAUTY!!

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1394830562' post='2395836']
Frigging phone predictive text. Nice one you guys.
[/quote]

I love this place. :D ;)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1394751464' post='2394947']
whenever i hear someone say, they do it for the sound, sorry (TMIT), or its a slap fest, apart from other amazing bassists, i think of Mr Kabas. imo some of the most musical slap playing. well that I've heard . it can be done so well, i actually forget he's slapping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJzRxlBRhI
[/quote]

Love that Kabas "Rock With You" vid.
Beautiful. :)

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.