Why become a member? ×

Slapping

Mornats

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1395227741' post='2399886']
How do you do that? Where do the [media] codes come from? :huh:
[/quote]

I cut and pasted the URL, deleted the 's' from the 'https' (BC doesn't like it) and the media codes are generated by the forum software.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395227953' post='2399889']
I cut and pasted the URL, deleted the 's' from the 'https' (BC doesn't like it) and the media codes are generated by the forum software.
[/quote]

Hmmmm. I did that too.... :unsure:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395227648' post='2399883']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mMoeWkDhqA[/media]
[/quote]

I remember Graham Edwards had a reputation at that time as being the cleanest bass player in London in terms of his flawless technique and he played that very busy 1980's style which proliferated at the time exceptionally well. For aspiring bass players of the time like myself, Graham was one of the people you would see on T.V and think "That's what I want to be like!"

He's a very successful record producer and songwriter in L.A now, and was part of the team behind Avril Lavigne's breakthrough hit "Complicated", as well as working with artists like Shakira and Katy Perry. The boy has done good.

I have every sympathy for the teenage bedroom thwacker for I was one of them. I understand the magnetic attraction of chugging away with 3 winds of electricians tape on the thumb. But that was 1987, and this is now…;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395235630' post='2400004']
This place is a treasure trove of euphemisms.
[/quote]

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1395236456' post='2400024']
I have every sympathy for the teenage bedroom thwacker for I was one of them. I understand the magnetic attraction of chugging away with 3 winds of electricians tape on the thumb. But that was 1987, and this is now… ;)
[/quote]

Never tried electrician's tape! I was more conventional, opting for a tattered copy of [i]H&E[/i]. This was pre-internet, of course.

Funnily enough, for weeks I've been trying to think of inappropriate examples of slap... And then I listened to this album this morning, and it is riddled with them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ25jEfWEg

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1395914496' post='2407807']
I think that track is either Stubenhaus or Freddie W...
[/quote]

I usually find both of those session players have a much fuller sound and a more tasteful touch...

According to Wiki, it was someone called John Siegler. Never heard of him, but he apparently also played with Todd Rundgen.

I absolutely detest, when I go on youtube for a demo of a bass and some dick head slaps the sh*t outta the bass for the whole clip. Usually its that fast horrible kind of slapping that I hate. Its pure showing off and it certainly don't impress me much. I love the technique when done properly wit rhythm man!

I do admit to liking that video of the Oriental guy dressed up as a girl, his slapping is amazing, plus his man whore abilities are second to none!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1395916295' post='2407846']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACwy0u91B-g&feature=share&list=PL48067D9D830037A8&index=1[/media]
[/quote]

I could do that! That's dead easy! No problem at all. B)

Not sure about the bass playing though...

There's quite a lot of slapping in my bands stuff....we're a sort of funk rock type thing. Not real virtuoso stuff, but I love playing it and always have a few people come up to me after a show to say how cool it was (honest!) I don't think that it's that I'm particularly good/original/musical with it (I hope that I'm a little musical with it) I genuinely think that it's something that people don't see that much of live from unsigned bands like ours.

• 7 months later...

I had to look this thread up for others opinions. As in the last few months ive went from liking slap bass to really disliking slap bass.

When it is used its over used big time. It actually makes me angry when i put on a video of a piece of equipment being tested and as previously said in this thread they start slapping. Which tell you nothing about said piece of equipment.

But i suppose Leo Fender intended bass to be plucked with the thumb so all other styles are wrong ;).

Should be a campaign. Use Slap Responsibly!.

• 1 month later...

Great to see Alphonso Johnson get a mention - love his stuff on Black Market and Face Value.
Saw Level 42 a couple of years ago and they were brilliant, one of best gigs I've been to (and I've seen Chas & Dave), but the boy King can't resist slapping all over everything. It's a shame because he's a great finger style player, especially the great bass lines on World Machine.

I would never write off a technique. There's always a way to make good music with it. Quite surprised with how many people are so dismissive of slap on here, but in fairness I'm new to the instrument, and maybe if I had heard 2,000 bad slap bassists I would grow weary of the technique too. For now, I love it, I'm exploring it and I'm enjoying it.

As for tapping - it's hard to do right, but I see so much potential for big intervals, arpeggios and cool-sounding effects with tapping. I would hope it's not just being written off as 'flash for flash's sake', the way many in the guitar community view tapping. I don't view it as a way to play faster. It's so much more.

I don't care if you whack the strings with a dead cat. If it's musical, tasteful, creative and from the heart, do you what you want. Push boundaries!

For the little it's worth, I think fretless bass generally sounds like the mooing of cattle, but there are certainly some wonderful applications for it.

Edited by Funky Dunky

For a change, without reservation, I love slap bass. I just love the sound of it. It is funky. I would have never picked up a bass if it weren't for slap. Most importantly, it is fun to play. To those (many) who dismiss it as just a show-off, I could say the same thing of many fingerstyle jazz players who play a thousand notes up and down the neck. I simply can't follow where they're going, and I don't find any musical satisfaction in that, just perhaps be impressed. My bad, nor theirs. If they are enjoying themselves, well that's the whole point. I can be tempted to dismiss it, but it's just that I can't do it.

People show off all the time, on all levels, if they can. Money, sport, fiancee, car, whatever. It is human nature.

Slap to your heart's content. It is fine. Don't have to justify it, musical context is irrelevant. It is about loving your instrument, having fun and trying to get better. Just my take.