Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris' bass has no logo.....

MarkG3

Iron Maiden posted a happy birthday post on Facebook for Steve, which is a great pic but I noticed that there's no Fender logo on the headstock?

Anyone know why that is?

[URL=http://s1172.photobucket.com/user/S9_S12_Bass/media/3AF281EC-4859-431A-B5AD-CEE44120F1DE_zpsfprkpbqh.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/3AF281EC-4859-431A-B5AD-CEE44120F1DE_zpsfprkpbqh.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Happy Birthday Steve!

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1394660449' post='2393886']
The mystery deepens. The logo is on his bass in this picture [url="http://www.photoforbeginners.com/image/9607/steve_harris"]http://www.photoforb...07/steve_harris[/url]
[/quote]

It's a different neck. The neck in the OP pic has a vintage tint of some sort.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1394660594' post='2393889']

It's a different neck. The neck in the OP pic has a vintage tint of some sort.
[/quote]

Yea I agree looking at those two pictures. If it is down to changing strings I would of thought there would be some logo left? Or maybe,as has been said, got a replacement which had no logo or got a refin and decided against having a new logo

Who knows :)

.......well Steve does!

Edited by Mark_88MPH

[quote name='Mr Anthony' timestamp='1394658156' post='2393855']
Photoshopped out for whatever purposes?

No idea really.
[/quote]

I had thought that but couldn't think why they would do it?

(Off topic but nice profile pic, my favourite band!)

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1394668093' post='2393977']

I had thought that but couldn't think why they would do it?

(Off topic but nice profile pic, my favourite band!)
[/quote]

I would have thought it'd be something to do with the name and the rights to use the logo and name on the Internet in certain places. That might be complete nonsense, mind you.

(And thanks! Mine too. Going to see them in April and I am so f'kin excited!)

The bass pictured in the OP is THE original bass. The same one you would of seen/heard on every album/live album from 1979 until present day (okay, he used a couple of different basses on a few songs across the years but it's 95% been the original P Bass). It's been white, black, metallic blue, checkerboard and now the West Ham colours. I spoke to Michael Kenney (Steve's bass tech, I met him at a Girlschool gig and we spoke for ages about Maiden) about the bass a long time ago and he told me that where the bass has been restrung every night for 30 years (he restrings this bass after every gig to retain the snappiness in the flat wound strings. He doesn't pay for them so why not eh!) it had worn in to the headstock finish and started picking the logo away. Along with where it gets a polish and where the neck had actually been re-finished a couple of times, it's just left the headstock without a logo and he's not bothered getting a new logo applied. There's actually an outtake from a video shoot the band did in India for Man on the Edge for Top of the Pops where you can see how much the logo had worn off of the headstock. There's literally a couple of letters left on there.

If you ever see a "West Ham" painted bass with a logo in pictures from 2010 onwards, it's not the original bass, it's a replica he had the Fender custom shop make him. Whoever painted it messed up the paint job on it by using a dark blue (almost purple) on the bits that were meant to be claret (including on the pin striping and the West Ham badge). You'll also notice the neck on the 2010 replica isn't as heavily tinted as the original one. He's been using it as a back up to the original one and just one to finish off a lot of the sets with. He'll either use the replica, blue lightning crackle one or metallic red one. All of these are basically his Fender Signature model but with different paint jobs and made by the Custom Shop.

Hope all this helps and "Irons" out any queries ;)

Cheers
Your resident Steve Harris geek.

[quote name='Mr Anthony' timestamp='1394999121' post='2397632']
Thanks for that, really quite interesting. Glad we've cleared it up. I had no idea he's been playing the same bass for all this time. I saw that at Twickenham back in 2008 (I think? Got the programme somewhere) and I think he was on blue sparkle back then. :)
[/quote]
I was at the Twickenham show and he only used 1 bass for the whole show, the original WH bass. I was right at the front just in front of his mic for the whole show :)

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1395000330' post='2397657']
That's a lot of strings, does he throw them away dya reckon?
[/quote]
Most of the time he throws them away as MK loosens them then cuts them off but I've seen some sets had been taken off properly then given to IMFC members at some of the meet and greet events.

[quote name='Mark_88MPH' timestamp='1394990939' post='2397467']
^^^^

Nice one! That's really good info thanks :)
[/quote]

No problem pal :) Glad i could help

Edited by Biaeothanata-Bassist