Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand Ebay - Advice Needed

flunkie

So, after a few years out with injury, I'm playing again and just had a successful audition for a popular, local band. I want to treat myself to a boutique bass. Currently, I have an Ibanez SR 700, which is ideal because I can't hold too much weight on my shoulder. :( I've looked at two Sadowskys, which are lovely but just over a pound heavier than my Ibanez. I've seen this on eBay, but I don't know a lot about them. Can anyone advise me on them in terms of tone, playability, neck etc. If anyone knows the weight, that would be very useful. Is the price on eBay reasonable? Thanks. :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221381886096&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221381886096&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en[/url]

Well I've never heard a bad word about Carey Nordstrand's work so there's a very good chance that it's a lovely bass. My gut feel though is that £1625 is on the high side. Have you played the bass?

I'd get in touch with Nordstrand directly (http://www.nordstrandguitars.com/contact.html) and ask them about the details of the bass. Along with answers you'll hopefully also get a feel for the kind of people who built the instrument in the way that they respond.

Phil

I had a Nordstrand P '55 - absolutely beautifully made and up there with the best of the hand-builders. However, it wasn't light (though not heavy either). If you might consider something less traditional, there are a couple of Status Streamlines around on BC - ultra-light and extremely comfortable to play.

I'm not saying all Jazz style basses are likely to be heavy (I had a USA Sadowsky Jazz that was insanely light, though it was reduced in overall dimensions in comparison to a Fender Jazz) BUT [size=4]it requires a fair sized piece of wood to make a Jazz bass body, so [/size][size=4]unless it is very high grade Swamp Ash I doubt it'd come in under 9lb, which is my target weight to get under for any average/light bass. [/size]

[size=4]Tone and playability I can't comment on as Nordstrand isn't a make I've tried as yet (though my Sado had Nordy pups in it). The price looks on the high side for a used instrument, I'd expect to pay less on here or from a non-retailer. [/size]

Edited by warwickhunt

Jazz Basses do indeed tend towards being slightly heavier for the reason that Warwick has just outlined. The offset body shape is actually quite big. If you have a shoulder problem then anything over nine pounds in weight is probably not a good proposition. Swamp ash does tend to be lighter, but not always so, and in every such instance and not just this bass, that also depends on someone's correct description of the bass as swamp ash in the first place . Always try and get an [u]accurate [/u]weight for the prospective bass before you buy.

Nordstrand are top quality basses, and providing this one is in excellent condition then that price is probably fair, but by the same token you could pick up a bargain on Basschat for that kind of cash so you are in strong position with a lot of choice. You could get some more details about this bass, and keep your eye on what else is available, too.

Edited by Dingus

As a person who suffered from a bad back injury I can I empathise and understand where you are coming from. Totally agree with the advice offered so far.

For me the answer at the time was a featherweight Lakland DJ jazz bass that I came across...it weighed well under 8lbs and was an excellent bass. I currently play a featherweight Ibanez Sr1205, it comes in at around 8lbs (pretty good for a 5 string).

Nordstrands have a reputation for being extremely lightweight..and extremely good. The best way to make sure the one you buy is both is to get your hands on and play it. A word to the wise though...I never use Ebay anymore, but would avoid any seller with a less than perfect feedback...

As a sufferer of back/neck/shoulder injuries, I'll add a couple of words of advice;[list]
[*]There is no such thing as a average weight for any model of bass (Lakkie DJ case in point; previous poster had one sub 8lb... I owned one close to 10lb).
[*]NEVER under any circumstances accept 'the bathroom scales' as an accurate measuring device, regardless of method used with them.
[*]When some one assures you that a bass is the 'lightest they have owned', query 'exactly' how many they have owned! [size=4] [/size]
[/list]

Warwickhunt is the basschat expert on a quest towards light basses I think (just wave a sub 8lb warwick at him and see what happens) so I recommend reading his postings on the subject in this thead and others.

Personally I think that given weight is going to be a major issue a trip to bass direct/bass gear or a big music shop might be worthwhile (though not close to truro) I would er against buying unseen online, and esp when the price isn't an amazing bargain.
Balance is also important. My old Peavey T40 which was in the 12-14 lb range, for me was fine playing as it balanced well. I can feel the alb weight of my silly unbalanced Warwick thumb far more.

I bought a Nordy vM5 about two years ago. Very well made instrument. It had a bit of a problem with buzzing when touching a couple of the pole pieces. The guys at Nordstrand were extremely helpful and sent a replacement pickup and preamp at their cost - which was very generous since I had bought the instrument from a third party.

When the problem still persisted (although to a slightly lesser degree), they then offered that I ship the bass to California at their cost, so they could have a look at it. I never did in the end but I thought that was an amazing offer. I put some tape over one row of the pole pieces and it's fine. Great weight for a 5-string at 8.2 lbs. Very comfortable neck too.

[URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/72arodney/media/vM5_0_wall_web_zpsfe36379d.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y451/72arodney/vM5_0_wall_web_zpsfe36379d.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Nordys are amazing basses and Carey and his team are great to deal with. I have a vj4 and a vj5, both sound amazing with passive and active circuits. The necks are amazing and the only part of the build process that is not done in house is the paint, everything else is meticulously built by Carey and his small team.
Depending on spec they are around 2500 to 3500 if you order new so 1600 is a bargain IMHO. Bear in mind other boutique builder buy bodies and necks in from else where and just assemble them. No names mentioned!!!
The weight of the bass is down to the individual body, I have access to an ash body vj5 that is under 4kg, my alder vj5 is around 4.5kg. That bass is currently with Carey at the moment on a weight loss programme!
Pick up buzz from Nordstrand pickups is more often than not due to them not being shielded, the noise normally goes if you touch the metal work on the bass, I bought some copper foil and insulated the pickups on my vj4, it is now immune to the buzz, (the shielding has to be earthed)

Edited by Iana

My Sadowsky was one of the basses in question. Balance is a VERY important part of the equation. At 9lb 40z it's not that heavy. It is superbly balanced though, so feels much lighter.
Basswood seems to be generally very light although rarely used on boutique. Bongo's are basswood as are Fender Aerodyne and quite a few Fender Japan.
One of those basses tricked out with J East, better bridge, tuners etc may well be worth a thought, even if they do not have a boutique name on the headstock.
Alembic are also worth a look , amazing basses with some having smaller bodies so quite light.

Thank you so much for all your advice. My experience in looking around has revealed exactly what warwickhunt said, the reported weight of otherwise identical models differs widely. I've decided to leave the Nord and go for a Ibanez SR1800 for now (I already have an SR700, which is light enough, and will now function as my on-stage spare), on the agreement that I can return it if it's too heavy. I'll leave the boutique bass quest until I can actually try them :-)

I know you've just possibly ordered one, but if you're willing to drop >£1k on a bass, why not look at getting one built?

One of my requirements of my purple beastie was it had to be pretty light. Not sure on weight atm - but it's insanely lightweight. No idea what Rich did but you don't even feel the weight really!

I used to own that bass and sold it a few years back. It's a very versatile jazz, very well built and I'd recommend it. I only sold it as after trying a lot of jazzes I realised they are not for me. Played very well, It's pretty and has a slightly thinner neck than some jazzes. The preamp is great.
Weight wise it was pretty light in comparison to the old 70s fender jazzes I had but they are always pretty heavy.
I bought it from. Mark at bass direct, it's no longer on his site but there is a long shot he might have the specs and weight somewhere.
Hope this helps.