Why become a member? ×

What is the best way to ship a bass by post?

laci

Hiya,

Am not sure about the best way of shipping a bass, there are plenty of possibilities. Could you tell me what is the safest/best deals? I could ask Royal Mail but first I'd like to know what are your experiences, recommendations.
Would ship from the UK.

Thanks indeed!

Laci

Edited by charic
Advertising nature of post

Ultimately if you have to post any bass you should prepare for the worst and assume your package will be dropped (several times... quite violently) so a case inside of a thick cardboard box but you can make it just as protected by layers of bubble wrap. gigbag and the most important; a cycle box from Halfords (or even two if you can get them to fit inside each other)!

Shipping my first bass today.... cocooned in bubblewrap, in a case which is also cocooned in bubblewrap, wrapped in thick cardboard with an entire roll of parcel tape holding it together, address and shipping label on both sides incase one gets torn off...

Fingers crossed it makes it in one piece!

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere before, but I find it ridiculous that you have to take out extra insurance to cover the value of what your shipping incase the courier breaks it...

I have to pay extra incase they smash it to bits... How about they just don't smash it to bits? and if they do, take responsibility for it!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1393401259' post='2379689']
....cocooned in bubblewrap, in a case which is also cocooned in bubblewrap, wrapped in thick cardboard with an entire roll of parcel tape holding it together....
[/quote]

+1

I've only shipped one bass and I did the same.

This was [i]not[/i] going to end badly, so the bass was in a hard case (strings slightly slackened off), surrounded on all sides by expanded polystyrene sheets in a heavy duty cardboard box (which I got from a local bike shop).

After all that the package exceeded Interparcel's max size, and I think I used DHL in the end.

[i][quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1393427090' post='2380148']
My tip is to pack it tight enough so that nothing shakes or rattles around inside the box - but not too tight to risk bursting the box. The aim is to make it seem like it's a single mass. Internal movement risks damage.
[/quote][/i]

+1

I've sent a few basses and took the same steps.....luckily I work in a goods out part of a firm and have endless packaging avallable. Pack around the bass with bubble wrap or similar so it doesnt move, stick it in its case....a hardcase is better.....more wrap.....in a big cardboard box....and to top it off i used strapping to hold it all together and heatwrapped plastic sheeting all around it! My packages have been called 'bombproof' before!

+2

Make sure it doesn't have room to thrash about in the box, and don't forget - you're sending a bass guitar, not a crate full of frozen unicorn tears - a bass is a pretty tough little bugger

Unless you run over it with a tractor :D

Lots of times the insurance is a total waste of money, musical instruments are excluded items.

If it's a bolt on necked bass, and you don't have a case, just a gig bag, then ship it in 2 pieces, just make sure both are wrapped well with bubble wrap and lots of cardboard.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1393585354' post='2382192']
If it's a bolt on necked bass, and you don't have a case, just a gig bag, then ship it in 2 pieces, just make sure both are wrapped well with bubble wrap and lots of cardboard.
[/quote]

That would be my choice too - but some people on here have stated that they would not deem this to be suitable! The reason being that they couldn't take the bass out and play it straight away!

I'd rather have it arrive in one piece (well, OK - two actually!) and then spend ten minutes re-assembling it! :)

As I was the person who complain about potentially receiving a bass with the neck unbolted, let me throw this into the mix:

The two times I've had to remove the neck from a bass I've discovered all sorts of extra crap in the neck pocket masquerading as shims. The first time I wasn't expecting it and consequently it all fell out with no indication where in the neck pocket it had come from. Now a good shipper would mark exactly where the shims went in order for you the re-assemble the bass properly, but unfortunately we all know that these aren't always the rule.

Also a less than scrupulous seller could disguise a problem bass by removing the neck and then claiming that the buyer must have put it back together wrong. Send the bass fully assembled. Then there's no possibility of argument.

Regarding packing a Bass, I always go for a belt and braces approach. In fact last year I made wooden "coffins" for anything I sent by Courier. Equally there is a more lightweight approach that seems to be favoured by many retailers.
Thomann have just sent me 2 Basses and on both occasions it has been an external large box, filled with aircell pockets supporting a bass sized box which has a neck support and padding on the top and bottom ends and sides of the lower box. On both occasions the external carton has been unmarked but the inner boxes when opened have revealed a Bass wrapped in bubble wrap but with a broken or dislodged neck support and all the poly padding has broken away. Both Basses were damaged due to an impact, one on the reverse of the Bass and another on the Headstock.
My point being it may be better to double box your Bass but ensure it really cannot move within both the inner and outer box. Equally, I may have just been unlucky as my Star Bass came packed the same from Thomann and was unmarked.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1393592953' post='2382318']
As I was the person who complain about potentially receiving a bass with the neck unbolted, let me throw this into the mix:

The two times I've had to remove the neck from a bass I've discovered all sorts of extra crap in the neck pocket masquerading as shims. The first time I wasn't expecting it and consequently it all fell out with no indication where in the neck pocket it had come from. Now a good shipper would mark exactly where the shims went in order for you the re-assemble the bass properly, but unfortunately we all know that these aren't always the rule.

Also a less than scrupulous seller could disguise a problem bass by removing the neck and then claiming that the buyer must have put it back together wrong. Send the bass fully assembled. Then there's no possibility of argument.
[/quote]

Ah, OK. I understand your view a little better now.

Another classic case of making sure you communicate clearly and openly with the seller I suppose. All my deals on BC have been excellent in that regard, but I can see how it might not always be the case.

Fair comment then! B)