Why become a member? ×

The Chic/Bernard Edwards sound?

Scott S

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1393268290' post='2378062']
Either of these amps would be good. Im a markbass user and have used an Ampegs BA15 extensively at rehearsals. Either would give you lots of volume, especially the Markbass should you ever decide to play with others and you can always turn down at home! Ultimately it's all the fingers though I'm sure that a Ray '34 and flats would get you on the right path, especially a natural/maple one which Im gassing for at the moment with similar motives to you.
[/quote]

Oh, btw, lonestar, your advice re: turning the Markbass volume control in an anti-clockwise direction has merely exacerbated my symptoms, and has caused Mrs S no end of concern, lol.

[quote name='Scott S' timestamp='1393274235' post='2378186']

Oh, btw, lonestar, your advice re: turning the Markbass volume control in an anti-clockwise direction has merely exacerbated my symptoms, and has caused Mrs S no end of concern, lol.
[/quote]

You'll have to go and try one. My sincerest apologies to Mrs S.

Almost all here is good advice, I've studied his playing for some covers and to try and get some of his talent to rub off.

He is a supreme bass player, very classy and able so don't feel too down hearted if you don't completely nail his sound, I've yet to find anyone who has!

(That clip is sounds great, but nothing is plugged in!)

I'd spend time playing the numbers correctly and fluently, rather than worrying about your sound. Especially as you can't afford to buy any gear.

Check this out for BE's "chucking" technique in this video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyqKmUgkMOs[/media]

Nice thread. I've used my thumb like that on many an occasion when I havn't had a pick and couldn't keep up with my fingers but never really used it purposely when playing with fingers. Does that make sense????? :blink: I'll be practising it now and learning to mix it in. And I think I'm finally going to get some flatwounds on the fretted. I'd like a "dumpf" rather than a "ding". Not that any of this will bring me to the standard of the man in question.

Tried it last night and it was me index finger not me thumb I used as a pick.Sounds good on the fretless though.

Edited by tkbmx

The popular myth about Bernard's tone is the MM bass. He recorded a lot with a P bass too. Later on towards the end of his life he also used G&L and Spector basses. So, the choice of bass is not really the key to his tone.

I try to get as close to his tone for a few recording jobs and get nowhere near. I find that lots of mid, bit of bass boost and quite a bit of treble cut gets good results. I have tried flats and rounds and I still struggle to get the Bernard tone. Technique is the key. I have watched his playing very closely and Bernard had a very light touch. Maybe has a lot to do with it.

Let's face it guys, he was a one off. The only person that sounds like Bernard is Bernard.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1393447893' post='2380536']
The popular myth about Bernard's tone is the MM bass. He recorded a lot with a P bass too. Later on towards the end of his life he also used G&L and Spector basses. So, the choice of bass is not really the key to his tone.

I try to get as close to his tone for a few recording jobs and get nowhere near. I find that lots of mid, bit of bass boost and quite a bit of treble cut gets good results. I have tried flats and rounds and I still struggle to get the Bernard tone. Technique is the key. I have watched his playing very closely and Bernard had a very light touch. Maybe has a lot to do with it.

Let's face it guys, he was a one off. The only person that sounds like Bernard is Bernard.
[/quote]

I didn't know that Bernie used a P!...I have a P...I am the problem, lol.

[quote name='Scott S' timestamp='1393448933' post='2380549']
I didn't know that Bernie used a P!...I have a P...I am the problem, lol.
[/quote]

Err...and come to think of it...I used to have a Spector...which was traded for Shemeck's P!

Taxi's on its way, has anybody seen my coat?

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1393447893' post='2380536']
[/quote]

I can't think of any track after about 1978 that doesn't sound like it's recorded on a Musicman. Unmistakable low note sound. In a similar way it's quite easy to pick out the songs Abba did where their bassist uses a Stingray rather than a Precision - once again those low E, F and G notes have a certain ring to them. Those who have owned and played a 2 band Ray will know exactly what I mean.

I don't disagree that elements of Bernard's playing style are crucial to the sound but a 2 band Ray will get you the fundamental tone played in appropriate style.

He was back with the Ray by 1996 - a very sad film as this was his last concert before passing away. Nevertheless the playing and sound is great!

http://youtu.be/M1APFyc_QtQ

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1393196994' post='2377342']
Stingray classic (2 band) with dead nickel round wounds or flats. Thump city...
[/quote]

This.

Flats are a bit too... "flat". :P

Dead rounds have a bit more of the right personality, to my ears. You can get away with pretty dead rounds on a Stingray and still have a reasonable amount of treble when you want it (that preamp can boost effectively the minute amounts of original treble present), and sound thumpy by turning down the treble to mid-way or lower.

[quote name='Scott S' timestamp='1393204125' post='2377415']
shame that I can't extend to trace elliot money; come to think of it i can't extend to Stingray money at the moment, lol
[/quote]

Try a USA EBMM SUB.
They're essentially uglier Stingrays :lol: (although not so ugly, I own two, a white and a wine red one... after replacing the metallic pickguard, they look really nice, I think).
Cost? about £350-400 (used, they were only made between 2003-2006, but they are not too hard to find)

• 3 months later...

I had a 93 Stingray, single humbucker that I sold in 1998. I was not looking for Edwards' tone but it certainly didn't have it. I heard that in 93 those might have been Ceramic pickups.

I played about 10 stingrays at Guitar Center the other day and they all sounded essentially like Edwards. My Bongo HH can sound like Edwards, too.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1393491265' post='2380820']
He was back with the Ray by 1996 - a very sad film as this was his last concert before passing away. Nevertheless the playing and sound is great!

http://youtu.be/M1APFyc_QtQ
[/quote]
I have this on DVD - excellent!

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1393266352' post='2378018']
This anecdote about Bernard saying that the Musicman bass still had the original strings on is often cited when this topic rears its' head, but it is important to remember that it is exactly that, ie an anecdote and not necessarily the last word in what was actually true. I suppose we will never know the real answer, but to my ears it sounds like dead roundwounds on Bernards' Stingray back on the Chic/Sister Sledge era, and definitely roundwounds on the recordings he made with it during the 1980's. Whatever the truth is , you could certainly emulate that sound pretty well with either type of string.

It's worth mentioning the Bernard went on to use Spector , G&L and Sadowsky basses during the 1980's, in addition to the Fender Precision, Fender Jazz, Musicman and B C Rich basses he was spanking during the 1970's. I seem to remember he experimented with an Alembic around the time he and Nile were working with Diana Ross, but that could be my memory playing tricks on me. If Bernard didn't have an Alembic at some point then he should have done, is all I can say.
[/quote]

beat me to it with all that ;).....I believe that line about "what strings come..." was said 'tongue in cheek', he was known for having a very professional work ethic AND a very dry sense of humor....as a producer he may of had other reasons to protect his 'sounds' too.

Either way a much missed uber cool bass player indeed.

I'm looking at the March '98 issue of Bass Player which has a transcription of Le Freak done by staff + Nile Rogers. In the accompanying text, in which Nile speaks on various matters, it says Bernard used his "favoured late 70s natural finish Stingray (with old roundwound strings) direct into the board."