Why become a member? ×

Anyone have a USA Musicman SUB bass ?

grich154

hi guys,

i have been considering buying a musicman sub bass USA model, not the sterling SUBs. Does anyone have one of these bass and have any opinion or advice about them that they can share with me?

Also if anyone has one for sale i would be interested, PM's welcome :)

Thanks in advance

I've got one. Bought a passive one by mistake - had been watching a few on eBay and got mixed up when I put a bid on.

It's heavy. Haven't got round to weighing it but suspect it's around 3 or 4 tons.

The neck is fairly chunky in profile. It plays nice and it's usually not an issue, but sometimes it can get a bit uncomfortable, despite me having fairly big hands - probably due in part to me having broken my scaphoid years ago, but my OLP stingray copy doesn't set it off in the same way.

When I got it, I was never that impressed with the sound of it. It had a fair bit of stingray character, but there was definitely something missing. Since then I put a John east preamp in it and it sounds spot on.

I have a US SUB and I love it to bits. It's strung with ernie ball Super slinkys and plays and sounds great. In fact, I found myself neglecting my MM stingray!

Mine is Teal and had already had the dodgy original scratch plate replaced with a MM black one. I'd recommend these basses to anybody and I certainly wouldn't part with mine.

Edited by Deedee

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1393014275' post='2375372']
Probably 95% of a stingray for 30 to 40% of the dosh, all things being equal.
[/quote]

That pretty much sums it up. The lack of contours etc on the body have never given the slightest issue.

I bought one just a few weeks ago. They are excellent basses for very little dosh. I am told that they have the same pickups and preamp as a US Stingray.

I've gigged mine a few times and am loving the depth of the bass, and the smoothness if you back of the treble. It's a very powerful sound and by backing off the bass and treble to about halfway and playing close to the bridge you can get a very honky jazz bass tone too.

After a setup and fixing a bit of crackling noises it now plays and feels very comfy. The neck profile is wide but not overly deep and I find it very easy to use on longer gigs without tiring.

It's slightly heavier than I'd like but not more than 10lbs at a guess.

I haven't missed the body contours at all although I'm planning to strip the neck back to bare wood and oil it. The paint on the neck is wearing away and isn't as smooth as I would like. I've done a quick sanding for now which has helped a lot.

I'd certainly recommend them.

Edit. Spelling correction.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1393008185' post='2375274']
I've got one. Bought a passive one by mistake - had been watching a few on eBay and got mixed up when I put a bid on.

It's heavy. Haven't got round to weighing it but suspect it's around 3 or 4 tons.

The neck is fairly chunky in profile. It plays nice and it's usually not an issue, but sometimes it can get a bit uncomfortable, despite me having fairly big hands - probably due in part to me having broken my scaphoid years ago, but my OLP stingray copy doesn't set it off in the same way.

When I got it, I was never that impressed with the sound of it. It had a fair bit of stingray character, but there was definitely something missing. Since then I put a John east preamp in it and it sounds spot on.
[/quote]

the neck is identical (except the finish) to a Stingray neck.

Fantastic basses. If you want a Stingray for £400 or less... this is the bass to go for. Active, of course.

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1393008185' post='2375274']

[/quote]

Sorry Stoo, but I disagree on all fronts! Although mine is an active, and a 5 string, I find it really comfortable to play, is lighter than my mike dirnt precision (having said that, a '57 Chevy is lighter than a mike dirnt precision) and the neck profile is really manageable for a fiver considering I have lady hands!
To the OP, it's horses for courses mate, I think they are spot on and for £400 for a 5 string or £350 for a 4, you won't find anything of this quality or sound. If you can get past the painted neck and horrible textured body paint, and horrendous scratch plate, the are perfect!

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1393149057' post='2376579']

Sorry Stoo, but I disagree on all fronts!
[/quote]

Yeah - I suppose it depends on what you're comparing it to - but my other 2 ray copies (olp mm22 and SbMM sub ray4) are both noticeably lighter and shallower in the neck profile.

Said it before and will say it again- they were built on the Stingray production line by the people who built Stingrays, using essentially Stingray parts but with a cheaper finish on the bodies and necks.

They *are* Stingrays in everything except name.

Love mine and will probably buy a fretless one as well if one comes up at the right time.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='grich154' timestamp='1393012305' post='2375347']
i suppose i could have posted in there, but i was looking for background info and opinions as well..
[/quote]
Plenty of info already on here ;-)

For what its worth i had one and loved it, although the painted neck took a bit of getting used to. It could easily cover the Motown stuff we do, along with the more modern stuff. Very warm tone if you wanted it.
I wish i still had it now :-(

[quote name='Deedee' timestamp='1393013192' post='2375359']
I have a US SUB and I love it to bits. It's strung with ernie ball extra slinkys and plays and sounds great. In fact, I found myself neglecting my MM stingray!

Mine is Teal and had already had the dodgy original scratch plate replaced with a MM black one. I'd recommend these basses to anybody and I certainly wouldn't part with mine.
[/quote]

Correction: Super Slinkys not Extra :-/

i bought a usa sub on here, its black and now has a black gloss pickguard. its pretty heavy but for me its not a problem.i changed to roto 66 110s but back to ernie ball hybrid slinkys and it sounds great. i am building a p bass as well as i want a more aggresive tone as well which i cannot seem to get but i love playing it,