Why become a member? ×

de-fret or not? that is the question....

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

Hello all,

I'm not looking for definitive guidance as no one can make my mind up for me, so this is more about opening up a conversation.
The topic comes up every so often on here, but I thought I'd start a new thread.

I'm thinking very long and hard about getting my bass de-fretted.
It's my only bass, and pretty much my dream bass - a Warwick fortress masterman 4 string.
It sounds and plays exactly as I want.

However I feel pretty sure a fretless bass would work better in my Musical context - I play with woodwind instruments and the more natural and expressive vibrato of a fretless helps the instruments blend, not to mention the ability to play without a pre-determined intonation.

I guess my worries stem from the effect on the re-sale value of my bass. However I own it to play it and that is the value to me.

A slight concern is whether the wenge wood is ok for a fingerboard, but consensus seems it's fine ( I play with half rounds now anyway)

So any words of wisdom, encouragement or disaster stories and dissuading?

I'm potentially looking to get the work done sooner rather than later at the Gallery in Camden.

Cheers, Thomas

Yep, get it done at the Gallery. Wenge is nasty to work with and it splinters easily.

Personally speaking, I'd pick up a Warwick neck somewhere and get that one defretted and fitted by Martin at the Gallery. I've swapped necks on Warwicks and they should fit perfectly.

Edited by xilddx

I agree with the above, try and pick up another neck either a fretless or a fretted one and have the frets removed, then effectively you have two basses, I owned a Rockbass $$ Corvette and although I hated the bass the neck was by far the best thing about the bass

Guest Jecklin

Great replies! thank you all.

I had considered a new Warwick neck, but was worried all the different models have different bolt fittings.

The second bass idea had crossed my mind too, but I'm a bit of a romantic (or something like that) and it would have to be just right for me to go for it.

Ok, wanted advert for a Warwick neck coming up

A cheap fretless may put you off altogether. I've played some cheap and mid priced fretless basses, and found them to be very uninspiring.

Have a play on a few fretless basses of similar quality to yours and then see what you think, if you don't like it after its been de-fretted, it's a relatively simple job to get it re-fretted.

[quote]
I'm thinking very long and hard about getting my bass de-fretted.
It's my only bass, and pretty much my dream bass - a Warwick fortress masterman 4 string.
It sounds and plays exactly as I want.[/quote]

I think you've answered your own question. If your current bass is perfect for you, leave it alone! Get something else as either fretless to start with, or get it defretted. By defretting your Warwick you risk taking your dream bass and turning it into something you don't like to play.

Cheers,
Rich

I had a bass de-fretted at Andy's in Denmark St in about 1985, rare bass, regretted it ever since. Don't do it. I had it re-fretted at the Gallery. Super job but still not the same bass as before. Buy a spare neck if you have to, but why not use the best excuse to buy a new bass. You know it makes sense...

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1391883311' post='2362318']
I would rather go for a £200ish Squire, Vintage or similar fretless & play with for a month or so before I altered my dream bass B) if it suits then go ahead, you'll get your money back on the cheapo no problem. :)
[/quote]
This.......... Maybe you can borrow one.

Guest Jecklin

Thanks for the new replies.

Never really got on with jazz basses, so although a squire vmj is a good option I don't relish the thought.

I'm a sworn single pick-up player really, so any bass, even a temporary one, would need to fit the bill, so then it potentially becomes a search for a replacement to the Warwick masterman full stop.

Good advice has been given so I will keep my eyes peeled for a neck as an ideal option, vmj 2nd, total replacement fretless 3rd ( if I could afford that lovely musicman sterling on here I'd have it!)

Cheers all

Guest Jecklin

Incidentally, opinions on what is it that would be altered in the feel of the bass by having the frets removed? ( apart from the obvious).

When I bought it last year I just wished it had been fretless.
Having come from the double bass I find the feel of frets limiting a lot of the time.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1391883748' post='2362327']
The biggest problem with defretting a dream bass is that you might hate the result and not have an easy way back to where you started.

As others have said, buying a spare neck or another instrument would be a far safer option.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree. Dont de fret your favourite bass, because it might not be your favourite after the work's been done!

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1391883311' post='2362318']
I would rather go for a £200ish Squire, Vintage or similar fretless & play with for a month or so before I altered my dream bass B) if it suits then go ahead, you'll get your money back on the cheapo no problem. :)
[/quote]

this definitely

personally i always think that defretted basses look a bit naff and that even the best craftsmanship can still result in something looking like a sixth form woodwork project :P (stands back and waits for incoming) :ph34r:

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1391936344' post='2362686']
this definitely

personally i always think that defretted basses look a bit naff and that even the best craftsmanship can still result in something looking like a sixth form woodwork project :P (stands back and waits for incoming) :ph34r:
[/quote]

I've seen a number of defretted bass players who've spent the entire gig staring at the fret lines rather than relaxing, using their ears and concentrating on making music in the band. You'll also find that the neck markers are probably in the wrong place to be any use, ie in between where the second and third frets would be rather on than on the site of the third fret. Whilst I don't use mine a lot they're a useful guide for a quick glimpse just to check intonation.

Steve

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1391883748' post='2362327']
The biggest problem with defretting a dream bass is that you might hate the result and not have an easy way back to where you started.

As others have said, buying a spare neck or another instrument would be a far safer option.
[/quote]
Yep happened to me. Deeply regret doing it to an otherwise fine jap p copy in the early 90s. If I could turn back time

Get a cheapie fretless and use that - vintage, squier vmj or some such

Edited by Geek99

If you ever find yourself up near Bishops Stortford, you can drop in and try 3 out for size.

I'm in the process of building a fretless twin to the P-bass. Other than that I've an ESP Ltd 5 string and the Wishbass. So you'd get to try lined and unlined.

Edit: Btw, I'd never think of de-fretting the SS1. I love fretless, but I love that bass too.

Edited by Grangur

Guest Jecklin

Thanks for all the recent replies.

Kind offer Grangur, thank you.

I can see this turning into a search for a bass to replace the Warwick altogether and yet something as close to it as possible. Hmmmmm......

Oh well.

Cheers
Thomas

Edited by Jecklin