Why become a member? ×

de-fret or not? that is the question....

Guest Jecklin

My first thought is that a wenge fingerboard is not particularly suitable for fretless playing, anyway. Despite the fact that it is an exceptionally hard wood with some remarkable tonal qualities, very few builders offer wenge as an option for fretless boards, and, significantly, Warwick always offer ebony as the standard option on their fretless basses, and those basses often sound sublime. The fretless Thumb NT, for example, is one of the best -sounding fretless basses I have ever played or heard .

The[u] very [/u]open grain of wenge means that it could feel a bit weird under your fingers, and the fact that it is actually a very bright-sounding wood for fingerboards, with crystalline highs( because of its' exceptional hardness and density) mean that it might not be to most peoples' taste as the fingerboard wood for a fretless, If you read Basschat for any length of time you will realise that having a bass you are happy with is a pretty rare phenomena, so I would be very reluctant to alter this one if it satisfies you in its' current form Your musical context could change, or learn to accommodate your bass as it is. The options of an additional neck or , even better, an additional bass seem much more appealing to me.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1391939047' post='2362718']
Yep happened to me. Deeply regret doing it to an otherwise fine jap p copy in the early 90s. If I could turn back time

Get a cheapie fretless and use that - vintage, squier vmj or some such
[/quote]

yup seriously recommend picking up a second hand one of these for 200 notes or less - there's usually one in the sale forums somewhere :)

Guest Jecklin

Thanks again everyone.

Doubtful I'll get a 2nd Warwick neck and can't justify the cost in getting one made so keeping my eyes peeled for a fretless bass.

Cheers
Thomas