Why become a member? ×

Reasonable Rehearsal Time ,

lojo

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391180572' post='2354254']
He doesn't want to do any rehearsals before we tour and will just shout out the key and the feel of the songs on the night (he says he doesn't like set lists). [/quote]

Nightmare! I hope he pays well... :o

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391180572' post='2354254']
...He doesn't want to do any rehearsals before we tour and will just shout out the key and the feel of the songs on the night (he says he doesn't like set lists). The adrenalin will be pumping at those gigs and that's for sure.
[/quote]

I like to be well-rehearsed, but there is something to be said for this approach!

If he's a harmonica player he'll probably be confused half the time which key you need to play it in anyway as he'll have a different key harp in his hand. Unless it's something a bit off the wall then it's surprising (or maybe not) how much blues you can busk along with. I wouldn't be particularly comfortable in that situation though and happy to admit it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391181154' post='2354261']
I like to be well-rehearsed, but there is something to be said for this approach!
[/quote]

It [i][b]can[/b][/i] be fun. If all the musicians play the same instrument in the same tuning all night (like in typical blues music). But if there are any changes of instrument or tuning needed, and the "leader" is unaware of these.... disaster can ensue! :o :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391179690' post='2354229']

Yes, that really sucks giant mythical plums.
And it's usually because the first time the 'singer' has 'sung' it is at ****** rehearsal!!
[/quote]
Or the first time they have tried to sing the songs with a band behind them!

Surely the answer to 'how many rehearsals' should be as many as you need! That will depend on how complex the arrangements are and how closely you are going to stick to the recorded versions, how much you are going to do withe the BVs (which can take take up most of the rehearsal time IME), not to mention any singer and key issues!

Of course, if you have already played together and have done the songs before then you won't need many rehearsals...

Edited by peteb

Lojo. Just reread this.

Are you in a band that you feel isn't coming together as quickly as you think they should?

Sometimes it's because you don't have a gig lined up. Then people become lazy and don't do the homework and are unfocused.

Maybe you need to suggest you book a gig and see if anyone pushes back. That's a sure sign they're just in it for 'hanging out in a band'. If everyone agrees and suddenly ups their game then it's a goer.

Really you have to trust your instincts and experience on this. Can the band play well together and just need to get tight or are certain members just not up to it.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1391375943' post='2356524']
Maybe you need to suggest you book a gig and see if anyone pushes back. That's a sure sign they're just in it for 'hanging out in a band'.
[/quote]

I was caught out like this a while back. I had no idea people like to learn stuff and rehearse but not do gigs!! I know better now.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391377904' post='2356567']
I was caught out like this a while back. I had no idea people like to learn stuff and rehearse but not do gigs!! I know better now.
[/quote]

Yes, I went and jammed with a really good bunch of musicians recently. They meet up once a week and rehearse but are not interested in actually gigging. They do play in other bands so it's not a phobia or anything. Very strange. Although I enjoyed playing with them, I told them I had other commitments.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391379382' post='2356596']
Yes, I went and jammed with a really good bunch of musicians recently. They meet up once a week and rehearse but are not interested in actually gigging. They do play in other bands so it's not a phobia or anything. Very strange. Although I enjoyed playing with them, I told them I had other commitments.
[/quote]

It's all well and good if they're clear about it. Long story short I was lied to, which didn't go down too well.

One rehearsal will be plenty of time.

Allow about four hours for a 2 set weekend covers band. Don't spend all this time running through the songs though, you will need to dedicate at least 1-2 hrs deciding on a new band name as the current one is sh*te, sharing YouTube videos with your band mates, Tweeting, FB, setting up your huge effects pedals board and drinking beer/tea.

This will give you some natural spontanaity on the gig night as each song will become an adventure, you will sound edgy and dynamic as opposed to dull and plodding.

The worst that can go wrong is you forget where you are and every other song comes off the rails like a runaway train.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391379382' post='2356596']
[/quote]

I can't see anything strange about not wanting to gig. Can't it be all about the music instead of the performance?

The Beatles soon got fed up with gigging and it didn't seem to hold them back. ;)

Very interesting thread. The last audition I went to I was given a list of half a dozen songs, none of which I knew how to play, and a key to play them in. So I went onto Amazon and bought the MP3's, over to UG for some base tabs to develop except for 1 I had to start from scratch and make my own bassline based on listening to the MP3, then spent 3 hours/day for 2 weeks until I could play all of the songs with no cheat sheets. Went to the audition and the band ran through the half set list one after the other. The only mistake - well they cut a couple of solos out of one song so I was in chorus when they went back into a verse. The lead guitar was shocked - the last 2 bassists had turned up and tried to learn the songs in the rehearsal! He was so surprised I could actually play them all. We did the half set list 4 times, retired to the bar and drank beer while going through the full set so I can learn them. 15 set run through this Thursday and again I've practiced and practiced as much as I can. First gig Friday with me as bassist.... I will try to get the full horror on video.

If everyone does their homework it will just feel right in 1 session then you work on the intro, outro, fills etc to fine tune in my opinion. If you cannot get through a straight MP3 copy version after 2 rehearsals then it is not working somewhere. I don't have a load of experience, but I try to make up for that with preparation.

Cheers,
Rich

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391426760' post='2356906']
I can't see anything strange about not wanting to gig. Can't it be all about the music instead of the performance?
[/quote]

Yes, it's fine if a band make this clear before auditioning other members. But some of them don't, knowing it would put people off.
They'll even talk about getting and playing gigs with no intention of ever doing them, which in my view is very wrong.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391426760' post='2356906']
The Beatles soon got fed up with gigging and it didn't seem to hold them back. ;)
[/quote]

Probably because they were already the biggest musical phenomenon in the world when they decided to become a studio band, and would have been reasonably sure that their efforts were going to bear great big pendulous fruit. Which of course it did. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1391175935' post='2354148']
How good are these players?

If it was just me depping in an existing unit then I wouldn't need any rehearsals.

If it is a whole band then 1 rehearsal max. Everyone should know their parts when they turn up and the rehearsal should just be to "top and tail" the numbers and play through once.
[/quote]

I'd go with this.

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1391425633' post='2356884']
One rehearsal will be plenty of time.

Allow about four hours for a 2 set weekend covers band. Don't spend all this time running through the songs though, you will need to dedicate at least 1-2 hrs deciding on a new band name as the current one is sh*te, sharing YouTube videos with your band mates, Tweeting, FB, setting up your huge effects pedals board and drinking beer/tea.

This will give you some natural spontanaity on the gig night as each song will become an adventure, you will sound edgy and dynamic as opposed to dull and plodding.

The worst that can go wrong is you forget where you are and every other song comes off the rails like a runaway train.
[/quote]

And this.

A while back, I was emailed 17 MP3's on a Sunday afternoon, by a band that claimed to be “gig Ready” but they just need a bass player to complete the line up.
The guy I spoke to said, just learn about 3 or 4 of them to run through the following evening.
But I thought that I would try to impress them by learning as many as I can, and I ended up learning all 17 songs, almost note perfect to the samples I was sent.
I turned up feeling really proud of myself, only to find that they only knew about 3 of them all the way through, and I ended up showing [u]them[/u] how to play them, and they even had the cheek to ask me for my share of the studio cost at the end, and yes, I walked!

Then two weeks ago, I auditioned for another band that have been together seven months, so I assumed that they would be well rehearsed, they sent me a list of twelve songs they have been working on, again I learnt the lot, and again, it turned out that they only knew about half of them, and I was told by the lead guitarist that Whitesnake's [i]Ain't No Love In The Heart Of The City[/i], would take him at least [u]six weeks[/u] to learn on its own, so I said, at that rate, we can expect to be gigging sometime in 2015 then?

And now, I am auditioning on Wednesday with a band who are established, they gig on average twice a month, and have plenty of gigs lined up starting next Friday week, so I am a bit more hopeful that they will know the songs well.
I started on the songs two days ago, and I have already learnt their first set, and most of their second set for the audition, although I still have this feeling that the same might happen.

I’m quite happy to rehearse for as long as it takes to “top and tail” the songs, and sort out the BV’s etc. but I really do get the hump if anyone turns up not knowing the material.

And just to finish up, about three years ago, the band I was in at the time, auditioned a vocalist who had to play every song on his iPod first to give him a clue as to how the song went, he didn’t know the lyrics, and didn’t even print any off to bring with him, and he had two weeks’ notice of the six songs we wanted him to sing on the night.

I am not the greatest bass player around by any means, but I am a competent one, because like Diablo, I put a lot of effort into learning the material, and I am well prepared, but I have found over the past couple of years where I have played with well over thirty different musos’ when trying to get a band together, [b]turning up not having done any homework, is common place I’m afraid! [/b]

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1391432425' post='2357023']
....I put a lot of effort into learning the material, and I am well prepared....
[/quote]

+1

When I dep, my objective is to play the numbers better than the original bass player.

When playing in a band I need to know what I'm doing so if anyone goes wrong I know where I should be and don't follow them.

Lee Sklar summed up his attitude to playing.... "I give a sh*t".

I think that hits the nail right on the head.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391426760' post='2356906']...The Beatles soon got fed up with gigging and it didn't seem to hold them back. ;)
[/quote]

Just musing... Is there some kind of equivalent to 'Godwin's Law' for occasions such as this..? How many times (at least, on this forum...) has the 'B' word sparked off an epidemic rash of replies, hating and loving in equal measure..? Just musing... :mellow:

Be aware that your idea of a song and someone else's idea of a song can be very different. I've depped in bands where they missed out bridges and middle eights and played the totally wrong chords (ie a major chord where a minor should be and in the wrong key) of well known songs. I only found this out at the rehearsal and ended up having to play their weird versions instead of the original.
Always ask for a rehearsal beforehand(if you can get one), if you don't want to get a nasty surprise on the night.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1391375943' post='2356524']
Lojo. Just reread this.

Are you in a band that you feel isn't coming together as quickly as you think they should?

Sometimes it's because you don't have a gig lined up. Then people become lazy and don't do the homework and are unfocused.

Maybe you need to suggest you book a gig and see if anyone pushes back. That's a sure sign they're just in it for 'hanging out in a band'. If everyone agrees and suddenly ups their game then it's a goer.

Really you have to trust your instincts and experience on this. Can the band play well together and just need to get tight or are certain members just not up to it.
[/quote]

The question was really based on what everyone on here is prepared to do, and what is thought of as a reasonable expectation.

I don't believe the rhythm section should do any full band run throughs until everyone knows the outline of the songs, and everyone in the band in question is good at getting that done, which I know is rare when it comes to a lot of weekend gigging bands.

Edited by lojo

We tend to listen to the CD during a rehearsal. Jam along to it to make sure the key works and to get an idea of whether it'll work.

Then we go away and come back the next week and play it.

Works with one or two tunes a week. But not really loads more as we don't all have the time.