Why become a member? ×

Can your action be TOO low?

discreet

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1390769830' post='2349355']
I struggle with anything much more than a 'painted on' action :) I have my strings crazy low, which gives access to a nice range of techniques. It does mean I have to be aware to relax and not attack it too much. I can 'look' like I am but I try to stay relaxed with a light touch and let the compressor and amp do the work.
[/quote]

Why dig in when you can turn your amp up slightly, thats my motto :lol:

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1390770155' post='2349362']
Because 'digging in' provides a different kind of attack as well as being louder.
[/quote]

But that's for when you want to use that certain attack or technique. Also doesn't everyone play dynamically rather than digging in all the time.

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1390771737' post='2349391']
But that's for when you want to use that certain attack or technique. Also doesn't everyone play dynamically rather than digging in all the time.
[/quote]

Again it's personal, and I agree totally with your comment. If I want to accent a bar or a phrase then I can, relative to the previous and subsequent bars.

It's a question of refining your playing technique, and I think depends on what you play and what you needs are. I personally like playing jazz and fusion, so if I were to be 'digging in' all the time it wouldn't sound right and I'd probably injure myself.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1390770345' post='2349365']
how low is considered low? how do you measure it?
[/quote]

I think that it's the distance between the underside of the string, and the top (crown?) of the 12th fret.
I've just measured mine, and it's a whisker over 2mm. I'm not sure where that sits on the spectrum. I'd guessing on the low side of medium.

[/quote]
I'm guessing most people play dynamically to a degree, more or less. Sometimes some people also 'dig in'.

[quote name='Platypus' timestamp='1390761423' post='2349183']
Never understood the fascination some guys have with having the action set lower than a snakes belly
[/quote]

Personal choice innit.

I has a Dingwall where I'd set the action very low, when I came to sell it the new owner raised it high up.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1390770345' post='2349365']
how low is considered low? how do you measure it?
[/quote]
[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1390773036' post='2349409']
I've just measured mine, and it's a whisker over 2mm. I'm not sure where that sits on the spectrum. I'd guessing on the low side of medium.
[/quote]

The action on my new (to me) bass measures 3mm at the 12th fret, which seems high compared to my other bass. Is it not so?

Edited by discreet

Depends on the bass model. On my Precision and ric I have moderate action because I don't want any fretnoise on those. On the Marcus Miller jazz, EBMM Sterling and Warwick I have my action low as possible because I do want fretnoise on those when I dig in.

I recently bought a bass with gaps under the e that you could park a bus in. Seller liked it like that and it took about five turns to get it back to action that was even remotely sensible.

Jameson didn't do too badly with high action though, did he ?

[/quote]

Yes, but I guess you have to have your bass set up to cope with the worse case. If you play quietly for 99% of the time, but "dig in" for effect for 1% then you still need your bass set up to cope with the digging in

I used to setup up my basses with a very low action several years ago to intentionally get fret buzz. It was part of my tone I guess as I was in a rock band and I wanted a very aggressive sound. When I stopped playing rock music and started to focus on more soulful styles of music my setup completely changed along with my playing style.

I developed a lighter touch with my fretting hand and my picking hand was a bit softer, but I still raised the action a bit even though I was getting a cleaner tone. My playing technique improved quite a bit when I stopped hitting the bass like a jack hammer. The more studio work I did the more complaints I had from producers that my tone wasn't clean enough and too much buzz was coming from the bass. My recording basses are set with a higher action than my performance basses, but not uncomfortably.

I especially notice benefits with a higher action when playing slap. I tend to find that a very low action chokes the note quite a bit and get less of a thump.

There is no law about string action. I think its really dependant on your physical technique and personal comfort above all else.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390761286' post='2349180']

Or should I be a right feeble nancy-boy [size=4]ponce and lower it to a painted-on level ASAP?[/size]

I thank you! :)
[/quote]

Sweetheart, you are asking the wrong question.... High action, low action.... You'll be a feeble nancy-boy regardless ;)

Ok, when I acquired my SR1000 the action was a bit higher than I was used to, however, I found the same and liked what I heard. I have kept the action the same and have metaphorically "manned up" with my playing. Still keep my fretless low though, as well, no frets to buzz ;)

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1390857982' post='2350622']
Don't worry, Mark - They always said the same about me, but I showed them all how wrong they were with my amazing ballet performance!
[/quote]

Actually there's nothing nancy-boy about ballet - it's bloody hard work requiring great strength, skill and stamina. :)