Why become a member? ×

Country music recommended listening?

davidpike

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1390775171' post='2349452']
They are the same band with name changed in mid 1970s but I agree the earlier stuff is excellent.
[/quote]

Most of the personnel are the same but the whole outlook was different. You can't imagine Dr Hook recording "Roland the Roadie" :)

Steve

... or Penicillin Penny :D

I've really getting into 'Fifth on the Floor' lately, I had 'Distant Memory Lane' by them on a freebie promo cd and loved it.
They are more country rock I suppose but some of the stuff is just what I'd call straight country, it depends which way you want to head.

I've always loved Creedence and Skynyrd I'd be more country rock I suppose.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1390776494' post='2349483']
My band is a country trio but tbh I couldn't tell you where to start!
[/quote]
I have told them where to start. The op only needs to read what i said in post #14 then they can make their up their own mind rather than just be bombarded with what each individual contributor likes.

Edited by BetaFunk

A quick apology, it was me who started with a long list! It's only really in the last ten years or so that I even acknowledged C&W as, personally, a legitimate musical genre! Guess I've got a bit of a passion now....just the faintest hint of pedal steel makes me go all misty eyed (adopts Homer Simpson voice: mmm, Buddy Emmons...) Sorry.

John x

[quote name='thehillscorporation' timestamp='1390782852' post='2349567']
A quick apology, it was me who started with a long list! It's only really in the last ten years or so that I even acknowledged C&W as, personally, a legitimate musical genre! Guess I've got a bit of a passion now....just the faintest hint of pedal steel makes me go all misty eyed (adopts Homer Simpson voice: mmm, Buddy Emmons...) Sorry.

John x
[/quote]
No need to apologise. I actually like a lot on your list and couldn't agree more on your comments about Dolly Parton. I just think that it's best for the op to start in the early days of Country then work forward. There is some great music out there to discover. :)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='thehillscorporation' timestamp='1390784053' post='2349573']
maybe, but I can't listen to Creedence without hearing Buck Owens in spades! Love 'em both to pieces :)
[/quote]
Of course, but i can't listen to Frank Zappa without hearing Webern and Varese but it doesn't make him a European classical composer. It just reflects his musical influences.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390785077' post='2349575']
Of course, but i can't listen to Frank Zappa without hearing Webern and Varese but it doesn't make him a European classical composer. It just reflects his musical influences.
[/quote]

very true, 'cept maybe for when he's playing Ring Of Fire (back on topic ;))

Hate country music the same way "The Dude" hates The Eagles.
But searched Danny Thompson on play Google and an album came up Darrell Scott live in Nc.... Brilliant.
He really is a talented guy.

http://play.google.com/music/m/Tdat5frmeu3vfaqlzpldtcmf55i

Edited by blamelouis

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1390783280' post='2349568']
I just think that it's best for the op to start in the early days of Country then work forward. There is some great music out there to discover. :)
[/quote]

I'm not sure about this. As the OP has said he likes the more modern pop/rock country stuff he may well be better off starting with things like that & working backwards as his country tolerance levels increase. :)
Starting with something like The Carter Family might be too much too soon.

A good place to start with the older stuff might be something like the "O Brother Where Art Thou?" soundtrack, as it's got a nice mix of older stuff. It certainly sparked my interest in some great music I'd otherwise never have heard.

These guys are great. The singer Chris Scruggs, the great Earl Scruggs's grandson, is also an amazing steel player, bassist and he's learnt the fiddle recently as well

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESr8fo65sE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESr8fo65sE[/url]

I like of what has been suggested , and would also add John Mellencamp and Maria McKee, both of whom are a bit country at times.

Also may be worth checking out some of these bad boys....

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227997-january-composition-competition-voting/page__pid__2350067#entry2350067

There is no shame, country CAN be awesome!!!

My faves are Big and Rich, Tim McGraw, Keith Urban (especially his stuff with Ranch), and Alan Jackson. Adam Brand is cool for an Aussie country artist, and the chicks dig it by Chris Cagle is a belting tune.
The Dixie Chicks never cease to amaze me....
I was fortunate enough to tour with them as a stage lighting tech is early 2000's on their australian tour and was blown away every night. It was on this tour, sat side of stage, watching Jerry Flowers ( bass player and ex Ranch member) rock out night after night that inspired me to start playing music again, and most importantly pick up a bass!

Country music is unlike any other genre, there is usually a lot of collaborative work between artist/songwriters which provides amazingly written music arrangements and heart felt lyrics. It is the white man's blues (not being racist guys! :-) ) and if you can get past the fashion and the drawl (neither bother me) it can be great fun.

Now where is my Big and Rich cd....

[quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...or more Rock than Country? [/font][/color][/quote]

yeah..are you sure Hank done it this way? :)

Country's the biggest vaguest genre of popular music in the world that's always evolving, creating and absorbing different styles so I guess people will always argue what is or isn't country just like the flak poor old "definitely country" Waylon got when he started - anyhow I think if it's managed to get in the country charts then it probably qualifies personally