Why become a member? ×

New solid state Orange

0175westwood29

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1390867645' post='2350831']
think is i dnt think it will be mega "markbass" hi fi i can see a lot of metal bassists going for it, im also thinking there might be a trick or two on the back as there still no pictures, that i can find.

andy
[/quote]

Possibly, Orange might be trying to move in on the EBS/GK/Mesa/Hartke using metal people. I just don't see Orange offering a really extensive eq system that you tend to get with such amps at a similar price point. If the blend is awesome though, it might render any other criticisms meaningless though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1390905372' post='2351013']
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
[/quote]
[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1391038981' post='2352690']
Possibly, Orange might be trying to move in on the EBS/GK/Mesa/Hartke using metal people. I just don't see Orange offering a really extensive eq system that you tend to get with such amps at a similar price point. If the blend is awesome though, it might render any other criticisms meaningless though.
[/quote]

True, it does appear they are venturing into Mesa territory, but this is no M-Pulse 600 - lacks the big EQ section and (Han) Solo channel...

I'm off...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1391124457' post='2353687']
Well I don't know... Maybe there's big transformer iron in there...
[/quote]

Technology today should maor that pointless and cheaper.
The 1000watt OTB is what, 6 kilos?

Proof will be in the pudding though, hopefully these will appear in the flesh soon.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1391165596' post='2353929']

Proof will be in the pudding though, hopefully these will appear in the flesh soon.
[/quote]

true however the terror only has 2 pre amp tubes, the ob1k has basically 2 pre amps it appears, and thats where the weight has come from is my guess.

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1391167497' post='2353972']
true however the terror only has 2 pre amp tubes, the ob1k has basically 2 pre amps it appears, and thats where the weight has come from is my guess.

andy
[/quote]

So adding an extra pre-amp takes the weight up by 15Kg? :blink:

This amp looks like a Marketing-driven clusterf***. All the [i][b]worst [/b][/i]features of both the AD200 and the OTB in one neat, over-priced package.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1391170079' post='2354010']
So adding an extra pre-amp takes the weight up by 15Kg? :blink:

This amp looks like a Marketing-driven clusterf***. All the [i][b]worst [/b][/i]features of both the AD200 and the OTB in one neat, over-priced package.
[/quote]

ill admit its heavy, when you say worst features?

andy

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1391165596' post='2353929']
[/quote]

That's a whole other thread!*

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1391170363' post='2354017']
ill admit its heavy, when you say worst features?
[/quote]

I think he means that it still has the weight of the AD, yet none of the benefits of big iron*. Lose/lose.

*Many consider that a class D power section is inferior to a big heavy valve/mosfet one

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1391171022' post='2354026']
I assume the lack of valves and the weight.
[/quote]
[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1391171196' post='2354029']

I think he means that it still has the weight of the AD, yet none of the benefits of big iron*. Lose/lose.

[/quote]

Both right, plus it has the really rather tinny look of the OBT which totally belies what a great-sounding amp it is.

Worst of all though is that there doesn't actually seem to be a benefit involved here.

I have an OBT because it sounds really very good given how lightweight it is. That makes it ideal for venues with access issues.

I have a Matamp because the sound is so good that it justifies the weight. That makes it my first-choice amp.

Where does the OB1 fit into this? The best it can hope for is sounding about as good as my Matamp (yeh, right), in which case I'll keep the Matamp thanks.

Oh yes, and my Matamp cost less than that too.

It just doesn't make sense for the market. And it' has a silly price tag.

I do want to gear it for myself as I would have any weight if I thought it sounded the absolute best.

Great stuff having two prea mps, but no eq for the 'overdrive' side. Also the dreaded front loading front switch, which won't come with the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

If this was priced midway between the OTB's and the AD, I could see the point(ish).
If I had a choice, an AD all the way.
Until that choice is available, my OTB500 is doing a great job.

Then again, it could be the best amp ever, that no one's heard yet?

Edited by grunge666