Why become a member? ×

New solid state Orange

0175westwood29

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1392310748' post='2367177']
Does anyone from Orange frequent this forum and care to stick up for them selves? Seems there's some non-love going on here.
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong it sounds mint, and I like how neutral the EQ seems to be.
Although I'd want some questions answering.
Like, why is it so heavy?
Why is so expensive?

And while it does sound pretty good it sounds like you could achieve similar sounds with one of the dark glass products.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1392541584' post='2369748']
And while it does sound pretty good it sounds like you could achieve similar sounds with one of the dark glass products.
[/quote]

Yeah I get this point, but you could say you can get a tube driven tone from a Zoom B3 instead of spending a bomb on one pedal. Same with Ampeg/Tech21 etc.

The tone from this amp is great. I'm guessing there is more to it than we think. I agree it would be good to know what the amp comprises of.

Well, Im assuming that amp comprises of a preamp section and a power amp section. Class D is nothing special, you can get those super light for not much money. So, if you're willing to put your preamp on your pedal board, that gives you a whole bunch of options. Mixing a bit of dry signal into your dirty signal also isnt anything new.

That does sound good, but if you play around, I reckon you could get something sounding just as good for far fewer Gregs vouchers.

Edited by Mikey R

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1392553866' post='2369923']

Yeah I get this point, but you could say you can get a tube driven tone from a Zoom B3 instead of spending a bomb on one pedal. Same with Ampeg/Tech21 etc.

The tone from this amp is great. I'm guessing there is more to it than we think. I agree it would be good to know what the amp comprises of.
[/quote]

Yeah, if my amp sounded anything like that then I wouldn't be looking around so much.
I keep saying it but it's just too much of everything for what it is/does.
I guess I'm just annoyed that it's soooo big and heavy and has a silly price.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1393405468' post='2379742']
Sounds good as long as you like distortion. Interested to find out if it does loud and clean too.
[/quote]

The distortion is completely separate from the eq side of the amp so i will be 1000w clean amp if needed just dnt turn on the gain side

I talked to one of the Guys on the Orange stand at the Great British Guitar show at the weekend and he told me that the OB1K will not be going into production in it's present form as it's not quite right and there looking very seriously at class A/B for it.

[quote name='Handwired' timestamp='1393804568' post='2384608']
I talked to one of the Guys on the Orange stand at the Great British Guitar show at the weekend and he told me that the OB1K will not be going into production in it's present form as it's not quite right and there looking very seriously at class A/B for it.
[/quote]

If that's at all true (I'm sure it's on their website) then looks like they are trying to justify, weight and price. For that money I'll just buy an EBS Fafner

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1393832717' post='2384687']

If that's at all true (I'm sure it's on their website) then looks like they are trying to justify, weight and price. For that money I'll just buy an EBS Fafner
[/quote]

Or a pre/power rack with more power than the Orange and any preamp you want. The Orange sounds great but these days it's about more than that. Loads of amps sound just as good and are smaller and cheaper. Screw the Fafner, for the same price as the sleeved version you can have an OTB 1000, a GK MB Fusion AND an Ampeg 350.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1393845049' post='2384848']

Or a pre/power rack with more power than the Orange and any preamp you want. The Orange sounds great but these days it's about more than that. Loads of amps sound just as good and are smaller and cheaper. Screw the Fafner, for the same price as the sleeved version you can have an OTB 1000, a GK MB Fusion AND an Ampeg 350.
[/quote]

I don't know I found the Fafner to be something pretty special, if my needs weren't so specific the EBS could replace my board and my amp.
At the minute I want to try this iOS stuff tayste has been going on about I the effects forum. If it's as good as I hope it'll replace most of my live rig.