Why become a member? ×

600 quid to spend. Recommend an amp.

BottomE

Unless you are very loud and silly, or boost your bass massively, things should be fine. As always, listen to your cabs at high volume. If they start complaining (farting, buzzing, crackling, distorting), back it down a bit.
The Shuttle 9.2 has enough power to blow most cabs at very high output, with a lot of low frequencies and very dynamic playing. Just gotta be sensible.

Thanks. I am a pretty quiet player, more likely to be told to turn volume up rather than down. Most gigs I use only one cab running at 8 ohms. No effects or eq boost except what is on my onboard active preamp and am more likely to cut frequencies than boost. The 9.2 is looking good.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1389018435' post='2328814']
Thanks. I am a pretty quiet player, more likely to be told to turn volume up rather than down. Most gigs I use only one cab running at 8 ohms. No effects or eq boost except what is on my onboard active preamp and am more likely to cut frequencies than boost. The 9.2 is looking good.
[/quote]

As much as the 9.0 and 9.2 amps from Genz have always had a pretty solid low end, they are still cleverly tight in the low end. It will basically cut a lot of unwanted flappy boomy bass when the amp is flat. You can adjust this and allow more low end through (the high pass filter) with the filters on the amp, (more so with the Max 9.2).

You will be fine.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1389037952' post='2329195']
Tecamp puma 500 at £600 from Thomann with a 3 year warranty is a worthy contender here. I recently acquired the puma 900 and its a fantastic piece of kit. best amp i have had the pleasure of playing through.
[/quote]
Damn, I'd nearly made my mind up.

And if you can push a bit farther financially, the Puma 900 comes in at £720 from Thomann. This is what I am currently using and its a powerful little beast. Here is a link to a recent review in Bass Gear Magazine [url="http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=187956"]http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=187956[/url]

I replaced my MB SD800 with a GB Streamliner, I also compared the shuttle with an LM 111 in the shop and felt both the Streamliner and Shuttle to have a bit more quality in the tone, but the Streamliner had a bit more character, and so subsequently sounded more different to the Marbass.
It's better to have a bit left in the tank, you are allways better off with some headroom so I'd go for the 900 watt.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1389182939' post='2330935']
If you have the TC cabs have you considered the TC heads?
[/quote]
Had a go on a couple of TC heads and didn't float my boat. Looking for something a little more fizzy. As Westwood said there is a lot of choice at this price band.

Whilst I feel your requirements scream Shuttle(Max) or similar heads, I have the feeling your being bored is not necessarily gonna be cured by them.
After all, the Shuttles and EBSs are on the same planet as the LM - if I understand correctly that is.

How much change from the sound of the LM are you asking for?
If you want a lot of change, you might even be served better by heads like the Streamliner, ToneHammer or those gritty Gallien Kruegers.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='pockethammer' timestamp='1389134333' post='2330593']
I've just got delivery of the GB shuttle 9.2 can't wait for rehearsals Fri night. Will post up thoughts afterwards. Feelin excited! :)
[/quote]

1st blast with rig tonight...... Trousers still flapping & ears bleading!
Really only took 2 or 3 songs fiddling about to find the tone I was looking for then just a wee bit of fine tuning & I was chuffed to bits.
This thing is seriously loud. I run it thru a GB focus 4x10 & a focus 2x10 & it punched thru the mix brilliantly with excellent clarity and warmth. Only one night in and I'm hooked..... Can't wait till next time & some gigs.
Highly recommended!!

Edited by pockethammer

I can emphasise with the OP......
6 months ago I had a little money spare so decided to upgrade from my LMII. Got a LM III and was underwhelmed, it was virtually identical, just newer. So started with a little bit of GAS and have just traded the LMIII on here for a TTE RJ 500 head. Now this does sound and look different and my 210T cab looks a bit weird under such a (relatively) wide head. So now I've just traded up to a RJ 15" cab to go with the RJ head. Trouble is no tuner lineout on the head out so have bought a Korg Pitchblack. for tuning....
It's been fun researching and have had 4 new amp, amp cover, cab, and tuner days... In total spent £400 on this total upgrade for something heavier and wider than what I started with! Could have bought one of those GB combos for that money and kept my existing rig!

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1389310729' post='2332848']
I'd recommend you buy my GK2001RB, killer sound, gorgeous amp, massive tonal variety, not so sure about the lightweight bit, but hey, you can't always have everything! ;-)
[/quote]
Thanks for the recommendation. It would blow the crap out of my speakers.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1389457163' post='2334376']
I can emphasise with the OP......
6 months ago I had a little money spare so decided to upgrade from my LMII. Got a LM III and was underwhelmed, it was virtually identical, just newer. So started with a little bit of GAS and have just traded the LMIII on here for a TTE RJ 500 head. Now this does sound and look different and my 210T cab looks a bit weird under such a (relatively) wide head. So now I've just traded up to a RJ 15" cab to go with the RJ head. Trouble is no tuner lineout on the head out so have bought a Korg Pitchblack. for tuning....
It's been fun researching and have had 4 new amp, amp cover, cab, and tuner days... In total spent £400 on this total upgrade for something heavier and wider than what I started with! Could have bought one of those GB combos for that money and kept my existing rig!
[/quote]

Yeah there is a lot of choice and have a feeling may have a similar ride to Yorky. So far i like the look of the Tecamp PUMA - just to be different...