Why become a member? ×

Well I liked it anyway.

ambient

I met him in April last year at after the Hiromi gig, Simon Phillips kindly introduced me which was a blessing because he's notoriously shy. Predictably the words failed to leave my mouth as I attempted to make conversation with (and this part is purely my opinion), probably the greatest living bass player on earth today. He has total command over the instrument to the point of total disbelief. His technique is obviously flawless but he executes everything with such musicality that you're left wondering whether the guy is truly superhuman or not. He was really nice, very humble. When he's interviewed I originally thought he came across as a little arrogant and maybe aloof but he's just very sure of his position on music, plus he really does give credit where credit is due and to some unlikely bass players - he counts Joe Osborn and Jack Cassidy amongst some of his favourite bass players which sits nicely with me too. He really bigged up Pino to me as well when we spoke.

He's a capable solo bass player but I'm not always drawn to clips like the one above. He's not outside his comfort zone soloing, he has a very unique phrasing that's unlike any other bass player but I think he just truly shines as a sideman and I think it's always where he looks most comfortable and at home. Anthony Jackson and Pino Palladino are my very favourite bass players just for their sheer musicality. Anthony really is the man though!

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1388786562' post='2326170']
He really bigged up Pino to me as well when we spoke.
[/quote]

I read an interview with him in Bass Player years ago where he singled Pino out for some very high praise indeed.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1388785833' post='2326159']
Probably my favourite bass player.

Here's a great clip of him player solo.

Don't bother watching if you don't like solo bass or his bass has too many strings :D .

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPyauaJpWQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zPyauaJpWQ&feature=related[/url]
[/quote]

Absolutely fantastic (both the playing and your choice of thread title!)

Hmm, I admire him as a musician and I'm a fan of some of the bands he plays in - especially when Simon Phillips is drumming (like Hiromi's band, for instance) but TBH, I don't really enjoy seeing him like this and hearing his floppy and surprisingly rough tone exposed as it is in this video. The effect is made worse by the irritating and almost perpetual, habitual presence of regular Bass Show favourites, Bailey and Wooten either side of him. They almost give the unfortunate impression they are ready to wheel the seated, aged and torpid Jackson off for his medication and a bed-bath but are willing to nurse him through the thin soup of their familiar exhibition-ready electric jamming music before they do so.

Edited by Spoombung

I can't tell if the really awful-sounding bits are him. I think they're probably Wooten because he's got the worst bass sound in history.

Still, I didn't dig what he was playing. You could call me narrow-minded or you could forgive me for having some sense of taste. If it sounds good I'll give it a go, but solo bass guitar, certainly in its current form, always sounds f***ing awful.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1388795503' post='2326299']
I can't tell if the really awful-sounding bits are him. I think they're probably Wooten because he's got the worst bass sound in history.

Still, I didn't dig what he was playing. You could call me narrow-minded or you could forgive me for having some sense of taste. If it sounds good I'll give it a go, but solo bass guitar, certainly in its current form, always sounds f***ing awful.
[/quote]

''[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Don't bother watching if you don't like solo bass''[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ;)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1388796020' post='2326304']
''[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Don't bother watching if you don't like solo bass''[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ;)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Hence the thread title :D .

I hate cabbage, so I don't eat it. I don't feel the need to eat a large plateful and then pronounce to everyone assembled around me how much I disliked it :D .

This is a nice bit of film, it shows close up some of his right hand techniques.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHyHxply7Js&feature=related[/media]

Edited by ambient

[/quote]

I actually do like a bass solo and i've seen Anthony Jackson with various groups over the years and he is undoubtably a superb bass player but i found that clip really tedious. If i was in that room with that lot i'd happily pay to get out of it rather than in. There's only so much twiddly-diddly stuff a man can endure. ;)

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388800736' post='2326333']
I actually do like a bass solo and i've seen Anthony Jackson with various groups over the years and he is undoubtably a superb bass player but i found that clip really tedious. If i was in that room with that lot i'd happily pay to get out of it rather than in. There's only so much twiddly-diddly stuff a man can endure. ;)
[/quote]

Know what you're saying :D .

I saw him maybe 5 or 6 years ago with Mike Stern at the college I'm now a student at.

I've never seen him live with a band though, it's definitely something I intend to do.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1388830036' post='2326460']
I wouldn't say I'm narrow-minded but...

If he was playing a 6-stringed guitar (which is essentially what he's doing just an octave down) as opposed to playing a 6-stringed bass I wouldn't even say this was average.
[/quote]

Big plus 1 for this - have a listen again around 56 seconds to one minute - Julian Bream or Paco De Lucia wouldn't get away with that! IMO you have shot yourself in the foot with this clip and antagonistic thread title as it is evidence why people dislike solo bass so much! Now for some great solo bass playing hop over to the December composition competition - some great stuff from a couple of our very own BC membership!

Edited by Mykesbass

Big fan too but I wouldn't class this video as a very good example of his playing. As an accompanist he is superb but I find his solo playing rather less engaging. The fact that he fluffed quite a few notes (ugly fretbuzz or unintentionally damped) made for uncomfortable viewing. I'm not much of a Wooten fan but when he steps in the execution is flawless in comparison. I've seen him live a couple of times with Mike Stern and Hiromi and I couldn't wait for the "solo" bits to end. AJ just isn't a "solo" player IMHO.

Thread titles like this are like a red rag to some of us :)

I have great respect for AJ, I have records with him on and he's as tasteful as it's possible to be. But this, for me, is just a average groove with some nasty sounding bass over it. There's no musical beauty that I recognise.

Why are these guys participating in a 'Solo Bass Competition'? Are they the star act or something after the amateurs have had their competition?

Well, I like bass solos as much as the next man if they are good ones, and I think Anthony's playing on this clip is O.K, if not his best effort, but he just doesn't have enough time to develop his ideas. Overall though , this was dire.

I am a huge fan of Anthony Jackson , and I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in so much as this was an error of judgement in his taking part in a bass solo "competition "- that in itself sounds to me like the antithesis of everything that AJ stands for as an artist- but any serious musician sharing a stage with Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey is likely to be tainted by the depressing pointlessness of all their musical efforts. Individually they are irritating and tedious , but put them together as a double act and their overall contribution is even worse. They are dreadful. I've got one of their" Bass Extremes" albums somewhere that my brother bought me as a present once . The bastard.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1388798158' post='2326317']
Hence the thread title :D .

I hate cabbage, so I don't eat it. I don't feel the need to eat a large plateful and then pronounce to everyone assembled around me how much I disliked it :D .

This is a nice bit of film, it shows close up some of his right hand techniques.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHyHxply7Js&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

[i]That[/i] is the real AJ.

[/quote]
I understand that but still don't understand the 'narrow minded' bit.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388842291' post='2326687']
I understand that but still don't understand the 'narrow minded' bit.
[/quote]

Narrow FRETBOARD minded, perhaps?! I like mine very narrow, personally.

I don't think the vid posted previously is the kind of clip you can watch to be thoroughly entertained by a bass player doing what he does best. Anthony Jackson (at least as far as I'm concerned) is nothing short of a musical genius but you can't help feeling like he's been worn down enough by the kind of people that stage these bass workshops to finally turn up to one and play. He deserves to be recognised so much more than what he does in that very short clip, it's kind of beyond him to be doing it having worked for year and years to become a true virtuoso of the instrument. It's a shame for him to be judged by the original vid.