Why become a member? ×

Signature Basses That Don't Exist...But Should

Freddy Le Cragg

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1389015936' post='2328773']
I wouldnt mind seeing a Jaco jazz with his other less known, fretted maple Precision neck. I would kill for a Jazz bass with a bulky old maple precision neck as I find the jazz neck a bit scrawny.
[/quote]
Just bolt a Precision neck on a Jazz body then. :)

[quote name='jazzmanb' timestamp='1389019613' post='2328833']
The Marcus miller and the Jaco are the stand out ones for me with distinctive features.The Geddy bass is nice but do the original 70s basses not have the bridge pick up positioned different?
[/quote]

I have a Marcus J and used to own a Geddy J.

What makes the Geddy for me (and many others who own them) is the neck. You won't find that same neck spec on any other Fender J. It was apparently shaved down to his personal taste and the sig instruments replicate this. Although I am a big Geddy fan, that is not why I got one of his sig basses. I did a lot of research and playing basses, and the Geddy ticked all the boxes for me. Not sure the Badass II makes much of a difference mind...

As Geddy Lee's original is a '72 bass, the bridge pickup is in the correct position on the sig model (about 1/4" nearer the bridge than the "standard" or 60s positioning).

The defining feature of the Marcus sig is the scratchplate and what is under it. Sadly, this seems to be where Fender shot themselves in the foot as the stock pickups and preamp do not have a good reputation. Mine now has Wizard Hammers and a John East Marcus Retro preamp and it sounds great, adding to a bass that (although heavy - like many Fender Js of circa 1977) plays very nicely. Not sure what they were thinking of when they put reverse tuners on though (unless Marcus' own bass has them on, which I doubt!). They are not period-correct (and are bloody irritating when you are used to the standard ones!).

Other than the electronics and tuners, it is pretty much a standard late seventies J with MOP blocks and white binding. Nice!

I like both of these sig basses because they are excellent examples of Jazz basses. The names on the headstock are irrelevant to me, in fact I would happily remove them!

People who label these basses and their owners as fanboys are missing the point and denying themselves to opportunity of playing some great basses.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1388757333' post='2325667']
i dnt really get the sig fenders, as they are all pretty much stock, but based around a certain year, and with some money added![/quote]

Some, maybe - but certainly not the Geddy Lee or Marcus Miller. IMO.

I think Fender signature models make a lot of sense. One of the ( many) beauties of the Fender bass is that it lends itself to all kinds of variations and customisations. Small details can make a big difference to the individual player. An American Standard Jazz with a maple board sounds and feels very different to a Geddy Lee model , for example, even though on the face of it they are both essentially just passive Jazz Basses made of identical woods with very similar pickup configurations.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389022130' post='2328880']
I have a Marcus J and used to own a Geddy J.

What makes the Geddy for me (and many others who own them) is the neck. You won't find that same neck spec on any other Fender J. It was apparently shaved down to his personal taste and the sig instruments replicate this. Although I am a big Geddy fan, that is not why I got one of his sig basses. I did a lot of research and playing basses, and the Geddy ticked all the boxes for me. Not sure the Badass II makes much of a difference mind...

As Geddy Lee's original is a '72 bass, the bridge pickup is in the correct position on the sig model (about 1/4" nearer the bridge than the "standard" or 60s positioning).

The defining feature of the Marcus sig is the scratchplate and what is under it. Sadly, this seems to be where Fender shot themselves in the foot as the stock pickups and preamp do not have a good reputation. Mine now has Wizard Hammers and a John East Marcus Retro preamp and it sounds great, adding to a bass that (although heavy - like many Fender Js of circa 1977) plays very nicely. Not sure what they were thinking of when they put reverse tuners on though (unless Marcus' own bass has them on, which I doubt!). They are not period-correct (and are bloody irritating when you are used to the standard ones!).

Other than the electronics and tuners, it is pretty much a standard late seventies J with MOP blocks and white binding. Nice!

I like both of these sig basses because they are excellent examples of Jazz basses. The names on the headstock are irrelevant to me, in fact I would happily remove them!

People who label these basses and their owners as fanboys are missing the point and denying themselves to opportunity of playing some great basses.
[/quote]

I was a pre-teen Geddy Lee obsessive ( that would make a good title for my autobiography, on reflection ) and I would still be more disposed towards [i]any[/i] bass if Geddy favours it, but I couldn't get on with his Fender signature model , despite wanting to . They are perfectly good basses in their own right, but the neck was just a bit too skinny for my tastes, all of which goes to reinforce what you are saying about Artist models not necessarily blinkering peoples judgement either way , whether or not they are a fan of the player in question.

Apparently the neck on that signature model is even skinnier than the neck on the original bass, which must be true because I have played a lot of Jazz Basses from that era and none had necks remotely like that version on the Geddy Lee. It's a great thing, however, that Fender do make such a bass with a skinny neck for players that want that kind of a profile for whatever reason, and conversely there are other Jazz Basses in the Fender catalogue that have unusually fat necks , as well as plenty of profiles in between , so there should be something to suit every taste .

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389019834' post='2328837']
Just bolt a Precision neck on a Jazz body then. :)
[/quote]

I thought about getting bits from The Stratosphere on Ebay but knowing my luck the bits wouldn't fit and they wont even check for you before they send them out. Quite simply I am not brave or rich enough to buy two classic series basses to try it.....maybe one day though.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1389024081' post='2328927']
It's a great thing, however, that Fender do make such a bass with a skinny neck for players that want that kind of a profile for whatever reason, and conversely there are other Jazz Basses in the Fender catalogue that have unusually fat necks , as well as plenty of profiles in between , so there should be something to suit every taste .
[/quote]

Exactly. If Fender marketted the Geddy J as simply an "early seventies model with extra shallow neck profile", maybe some people who hate the idea of signature basses would embrace it for the great bass it is? (IMO) ;)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1389091961' post='2329694']
Surely one signature bass that should exist would have to be a Lakland Geezer Butler
[/quote]
[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389102131' post='2329891']
Good call!
[/quote]

I'll second this - especially if it were to look anywhere near as cool as Iommi's signature SG.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1389091961' post='2329694']
Surely one signature bass that should exist would have to be a Lakland Geezer Butler
[/quote]
[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389102131' post='2329891']
Good call!
[/quote]
[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1389104121' post='2329961']
I'll second this - especially if it were to look anywhere near as cool as Iommi's signature SG.
[/quote]
[url="http://www.lakland.com/geezer.htm"]http://www.lakland.com/geezer.htm[/url]

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1390849182' post='2350369']
There are so many signature basses out there, what happens when someone playing a signature bass they like becomes a famous player, does Fender just put a new sticker on the same spec bass ?
[/quote]
Yes. Here is the Jimmy Page Les Paul - although Gibson not Fender.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1391182386' post='2354280']
Just to be peverse, why does this even exist?

[url="http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/brian-may-bass-cherry"]http://www.promenade...may-bass-cherry[/url]
[/quote]

You're not the first to wonder that. It's a bit like having a Cheryl Cole signature range of hair care products including a beard trimmer.