Why become a member? ×

Are you a Bassist? Or are you just you?

xilddx

i used to play skinny strings and to a much better standard than i will ever manage on bass but i changed to bass as i prefer the whole bass thing

i can see how some peeps regard it as all a string thing and bass and guitar are just far ends of a spectrum that includes both but the distinction for me personally between the two is actually increasing with my old age and cynicism :D

I'm just a person that happens to have become good enough at one of my interests that people will pay me to do it. It's a shame that my interest in football never went this way or I'd be rolling around like i had been shot on a beautifully cut pitch for £200k a week by now!

Edited by skej21

I find it fascinating that people want to/need to belong, and have even toyed with the idea of studying this concept. What kicked it off for me was religion - there were two occurrences close to each other that sparked this off for me, a thread on here for Christian Bass Players and seeing an organised bikers ride locally where there was a gazebo put up for the Christian Bikers' Society. What really struck me in both of these was the need to be identified by the religion as well as the other interest.

Personally I have never knowingly joined any tribe - never been a Mod or Rocker, always liked a wide range of music, never passionately supported a sports team, don't even feel particularly English/British, so would certainly not identify myself as a bass player, but it is very much a part of what I do.

Isn't this a bit like asking are you a drummer ot a percusionist? Bassist implies a proficiency on all bass instruments. So I guess I'm a string player whose spent three years exclusively on electric bass. Having lively band mates keen to cover a variety of styles helps alot. Plus I think it matches my obstinate character :-)

I am me. Playing the bass is something I enjoy doing. I do many things I enjoy but none of them define me completely. I am the sum of all those things not forgetting the things I do but hate. They too contribute to the patchwork of my being. Nowadays, first and foremost I am a parent.

Edited by the boy

Thanks Nigel, always good to hear from Francis. He's right of course. Some of us continually evolve, Maddona, Bowie, Kylie, and Francis, Some get stuck performing the same ego like Keith and Robbie. It works for them.

Me, I feel I evolve slowly and looking back I've been something different every 8-10 years.

Dr Who said something on the Christmas Day special along the lines of "We all change and go through different stages in our lives, it's important to remember who we were and what we did, because we're not the same person now, but they are part of who we are now."

Dr Who can be quite profound sometimes.

Me? I'm a runner this morning, in a 10mile race.

Edited by TimR