Why become a member? ×

Calling all Fender Jazz players!

Hutton

Ok folks. I am really a precision guy. I use TI Flats on my precisions. However, I now have joined the ranks of the Jazz playing public with the purchase of a rather nice 2010 American Standard Jazz. It is currently strung with a set of Fender roundwounds 45 - 100. The thing is I really quite like them. So the question is - should the next set of strings for the Jazz be TI flats? Will the flats take away the growly tone? OR Do I stick with the Fender roundwounds and let the Precisions take care of flatwound duties. Sorry to ramble but all thoughts on this matter will be gratefully received.

Personally don't like TI flats but I know that so many people do, so if you're keen on them then I'm sure you'll like them on your Jazz.

My new '74 came strung with flat wounds when I got it last week, even though I took them off and replaced them with rounds the flats did sound really nice. I'd recommend checking out the La Bella 760FL's if you haven't played them already. Hard to see myself using anything else on my P-Bass in the near future and they would sound awesome on a Jazz - although the increase in tension might take a little getting used to if you've been playing TI's all this time!

For me my Jazz basses will always be strung with nickel rounds. Steels are way too bright for me and nickels lend something really special to a good Jazz basses sound.

Put the flats from your p-bass onto your jazz, just for a trial to see if you like it. Make a decision based upon that.

Personally, if I had both a p-bass and a jazz bass I'd be reveling in the difference and milking it with the string choice. Aye, flats on the P, rounds on the J.

I have TI flats on the P and TI jazz rounds on the J. Similar gauge and feel to you don't have to change your technique so much going from one to the other. The rounds are very mellow as rounds go once worn in (what some would call dead) they are just like the flats but with a little bit of growl if you dig in a bit which works great on the Jazz.

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1386847411' post='2305228']
I've always used RS 66s on my Jazz... super.
[/quote]

Me too! I get there after a long journey that involved D'Addarios, Elites, Newtones, DRs, Fenders and several others that left little impression.

That said, I do like my strings bright and zingy! B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1386848372' post='2305246']
Me too! I get there after a long journey that involved D'Addarios, Elites, Newtones, DRs, Fenders and several others that left little impression.

That said, I do like my strings bright and zingy! B)
[/quote]

+1. Now I'm set with RS66s, although I do like RS55LDs for a change every now and again.

I really must make more of an effort to try different strings.

I settled on D'Addario pro steels a while back and have ended up putting them on all my basses. They are OK and sound like I like strings to sound but there might be something better out there for me. Its just become a habit to order them really.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1386855329' post='2305389']
I really must make more of an effort to try different strings.

I settled on D'Addario pro steels a while back and have ended up putting them on all my basses. They are OK and sound like I like strings to sound but there might be something better out there for me. Its just become a habit to order them really.
[/quote]

When I decided to do that myself I'd been using RS66s for about 15 years, I then went through every string I could find and I'm now back with Rotosounds. Not to suggest the same thing will happen to you of course but I think the RS66s is so engrossed in the sound I want that there isn't any point changing for me now.

Funny, as I have DR rounds on my P and Fender flats on my J.
I like the dynamic range of my 57RI P with its bright-sounding maple neck which keeps its definition when I roll off the tone using the rounds.
I like my 62RI Jazz to sound like it does on Jaco's Donna Lee and I use flats with the tone rolled off for that sound playing on the bridge pickup.

I think I prefer rounds on my P as its a bit of a slapper too, like me :-)

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1386874320' post='2305852']
Funny, as I have DR rounds on my P and Fender flats on my J.
I like the dynamic range of my 57RI P with its bright-sounding maple neck which keeps its definition when I roll off the tone using the rounds.
I like my 62RI Jazz to sound like it does on Jaco's Donna Lee and I use flats with the tone rolled off for that sound playing on the bridge pickup.

I think I prefer rounds on my P as its a bit of a slapper too, like me :-)
[/quote]

I read somewhere that Jaco used Rotosound [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]RS55LDs[/font][/color] strings?

Personally I like a bit of 'edge' in my bass tone so I hardly ever use flats. There's no reason you can't use them if it is the sound you really like. I have a P, a P deluxe active and a Jazz, all US made. This year I got fed up of being stiffed £15-£20 min for just a set of strings so tried a dirt cheap brand as an experiment. I'm not a bedroom player so in the proper live band context (90% of my actual playing these days) and neither I nor the audience could tell any difference between cheapo and fender or Rotosound or whatever. Using these at present;
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-Strings-DCG3-45-105-Coban-Deluxe-Range-Wonderful-Reviews-/161085017849?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item25816a4ef9#ht_3856wt_1077"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bass-Guitar-Strings-DCG3-45-105-Coban-Deluxe-Range-Wonderful-Reviews-/161085017849?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item25816a4ef9#ht_3856wt_1077[/url]

I really don't get on with flats on my 'jazz' (it's a Squier, not a Fender), tried them for about two days after I liked flats on my fretless but I didn't like it, I like to try a bit of slap and pop occasionally and flats didn't give me that plus I like my jazz to sound bright and beautiful (all creatures great and....) and the flats weren't doing that either. So i'm flats on my fretless and rounds on my fretted.

Well, after much consideration, listening to the great advice on here, and trying out both options I am going for roundwounds on the Jazz. I actually like the strings that were on the Jazz when I got it. They are Fender strings 45-100 with coloured ball ends. Apart from that I don't know what ones they are. It'll be fun finding out. I thought I might post up a couple of pics of the bass in question. Thanks everyone! :)

Ideally I'd have two jazzes and two precisions, one of each with flats and the other with rounds... It's just a different animal.
Unfortunately I only have one Jazz, always strung with rounds as I do play slap every now and again.

My experience with fender strings is rather bad. I remember putting a fresh set once before a long rehearsal - about 6 hours, and the important gig was the next day. They died so much during the rehearsal that for the gig next day I had to put back the old elixirs... Never tried fender strings again. I don't know, maybe I bought some fake ones (quite possible as I was back in Bulgaria back then).
Ernieball rounds work quite well for me and they last me the most of all uncoated strings too.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1387580475' post='2313667']
Nice!
[/quote]

I guess you were referring to the Fretless Jazz. If you were, thanks. If not, cool too. I really like the D'Addario ETB92 Nylon Tapewounds on both Jazzes, and Precisions. The Fretless Jazz is getting a Black Pearl PG installed, when the PG shows up from Fender. I already have the ETB92 Nylons. B)