Why become a member? ×

Sexism in Music - Infuriating Things People Say to Women Musicians

xilddx

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1386430234' post='2300044']
Rhys come on man, i may have had a few beers with when i posted a lame one now and then, but music is subjective and all that.? ;)
[/quote]

Just kiddin' - you'd probably think 99% of my record collection was bloody awful if you saw it. :D

Slightly off key but about 26 yrs ago I was banned from playing at 'musician collective' venues. I wore a union jack t-shirt and the 'Women of the World' stage started to call me a Nazi based only on the 'offensive' emblem that I wore. The mid 20's ringleader (with a girlfriend of 15!) decided to rant and rave at me backed by nods and tuts from her cohorts. I didnt see why I had to defend myself over my t-shirt so I told her to f**k off and do some ironing. I was then (without trial) duly given my marching orders for being a sexist. The latter 80's were indeed dark times...
I suppose at the time, being a vicious scaremongering paedophile was ok! :D

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1386441496' post='2300232']
The latter 80's were indeed dark times...
[/quote]

They were. The current mrs discreet was a Greenham Common woman. To this day she regales me with hilarious stories about latrine-digging, women being strong and how to knit your own wholemeal tipi. :mellow:

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1386433072' post='2300085']
What if you get a new hero who's male and it tips the balance. Do you jettison an older male hero to keep that perfect balance! :D
[/quote] maybe i was a little specific in that percentage :lol: but ok that makes no sense. unless you can explain to me different Mr Sausage. im little slow this evening

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1386441496' post='2300232']
Slightly off key but about 26 yrs ago I was banned from playing at 'musician collective' venues. I wore a union jack t-shirt and the 'Women of the World' stage started to call me a Nazi based only on the 'offensive' emblem that I wore. The mid 20's ringleader (with a girlfriend of 15!) decided to rant and rave at me backed by nods and tuts from her cohorts. I didnt see why I had to defend myself over my t-shirt so I told her to f**k off and do some ironing. I was then (without trial) duly given my marching orders for being a sexist. The latter 80's were indeed dark times...
I suppose at the time, being a vicious scaremongering paedophile was ok! :D
[/quote]

Ah , I remember it all so well and those were indeed great days to be an angry woman . I could tell you so many stories of how , during the long and bitter war against Thatcher , otherwise very ordinary women managed to do and say extrordinarilly silly things. under the guise of feminism. I wish it was that time again, to be honest with you . Nowadays both men and women seem to be united in the unbridled pusuit of buying more useless crap they don't really need . That woman you mention is probably a Tory councillor now.

I have had the thought more than once that there would be money to be made from a Peace Camp-themed holiday park , where disgruntled liberals of various persuasions could go ( for a fee, of course) for a week or two to get whatever injustices are currently making their blood boil off their chests. The evening entertainment put on by the staff of the camp would be like a period-correct benefit concert, with out-of -work actors playing the part of Paul Weller , UB40 and Bronski Beat. Instead of bringing spending money , holidaymakers would be given a Giro when they arrived at the beggining of the week that they could cash at a fake post office, and then they would have to make that money last the whole two weeks of the holiday. We would then sell them lentils and Findus Crispy Pancakes at exhorbitant prices. The possibilities are almost endless.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386441773' post='2300236']
They were. The current mrs discreet was a Greenham Common woman. To this day she regales me with hilarious stories about latrine-digging, women being strong and how to knit your own wholemeal tipi. :mellow:
[/quote]

If Mrs Dingus knew how to dig a latrine, our life together would have been very different.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386442997' post='2300262']
I have had the thought more than once that there would be money to be made from a Peace Camp-themed holiday park , where disgruntled liberals of various persuasions could go ( for a fee, of course) for a week or two to get whatever injustices are currently making their blood boil off their chests. The evening entertainment put on by the staff of the camp would be like a period-correct benefit concert, with out-of -work actors playing the part of Paul Weller , UB40 and Bronski Beat. Instead of bringing spending money , holidaymakers would be given a Giro when they arrived at the beggining of the week that they could cash at a fake post office, and then they would have to make that money last the whole two weeks of the holiday. We would then sell them lentils and Findus Crispy Pancakes at exhorbitant prices. The possibilities are almost endless.
[/quote]

Do we get a bottle of Merrydown and a dog on a string? In that case count me in!

My other half's degree is in a male dominated industry. She wasn't quite hounded out, more just largely ignored, credit taken by men for her discoveries, work, etc.
She now has a very successful business coaching women to be independent in a male environment. Shows women how to develop their death-stare, that kind of thing :lol: . I've just helped her write her first book on a relevant area of her coaching.

Then I patted her on her little head and said "well done".

The plaster comes off Tuesday - and they should be discharging me on Wednesday. :unsure:

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1386501955' post='2300700']
Shows women how to develop their death-stare, that kind of thing :lol:.
The plaster comes off Tuesday - and they should be discharging me on Wednesday. :unsure:
[/quote]

Quite. You should also try being on the receiving end of the current mrs discreet's death-kick in the bollocks. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386502354' post='2300709']
Quite. You should also try being on the receiving end of the current mrs discreet's death-kick in the bollocks. :mellow:
[/quote]

IME that's what you get when you're playing at wibbly-wobbly; when you should be listening intently with a concentrating look on your face and nods at appropriate times.

I must confess to being accidentally one of those sort that are being held to contumely in this thread. I was at my first Basschat bass bash in Northampton a few years ago, and asked a young lady who she was with. Fortunately she held her temper and explained to me that she was a bassist. In my defence, I had gone there with my band's USP, Mrs Zero the singer, and was in an accompanying-female mental gear.

Can'r remember who said female bassist was now, she was around at the same time as AM1, Shara 5-string and Zoe BillySheehan but wasn't any of them.

I was a bit sceptical about the article when I saw it was in the Huff, and it came across to me as a thinly disguised plug for the author's band.

It all seems a bit trivial compared to some of the things my wife's had since she went blind - probably the worst being - when she had a corneal ulcer and was acutely sensitive to light - "If you took the shades off, you'd be able to see better".