Why become a member? ×

iPod woe.....

The Admiral

My beloved and very well cared for iPod Classic, has, after 6 faultless years, made some horrible noises this morning as the drive spins and whirrs, before giving me the 'contact Apple' message. Does anyone have any experience of this type of thing? I'm taking it into the local Apple store tomorrow, but I have a horrible feeling it could be expensive to the point of writing it off. All comforting comments welcome!!!!

The only comforting thing I can think of is it should be possible to save a load of money by replacing the hard drive yourself (assuming that's the problem, but there are no other moving parts that will cause 'horrible noises' :( ).

Lots of info on the web about this, e.g. http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPod_Classic

It might seem daunting, but what have you got to lose when the worst case is that you'll have to just buy a new iPod?

It'll be interesting to hear what the Apple Store says though.

Sadly I think the days of tiny high-capacity hard-drive music players (well, that'd be the iPod Classic) are numbered, as people move over to streaming music from that Cloud thingy. Pity, as I don't want my on-the-move listening to be dependent on a decent phone connection, and then be paying for bandwidth to listen to music I've already bought!

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1386359036' post='2299362']
Sadly I think the days of tiny high-capacity hard-drive music players (well, that'd be the iPod Classic) are numbered, as people move over to streaming music from that Cloud thingy. Pity, as I don't want my on-the-move listening to be dependent on a decent phone connection, and then be paying for bandwidth to listen to music I've already bought!
[/quote]

The battery wept as I read that our loud.

I replaced the battery in my iPod photo. It's now 9 years old and gives a bit of gyp every now and again. I think it's due for another battery.

It's easy. Maplins do a tool kit, or get one cheaper off ebay. All you have to do is source a hard drive. A great thing about these iPods is you can use them as a portable hard drive. Taking away that facility was a bad move apple!

Edited by TimR

Thanks for all the input chaps, and I had a look at the fix it yourself site, but given that they rate each job in terms of difficulty, and a new hard drive was 'very difficult', I thought better of it. Especially with my fat fingers and lack of patience with all things fiddly.

I've decided to send it to the company suggested by Bumnote , and they'll actually upgrade with a new 120 mb drive, from 80mb for £79, which doesn't feel too outrageous. I'll update when I get it back.

Cheers

Mines locked up Fri night while still hooked into car. Set off my car alarm due to drain on battery while connected. Well I think that's what caused it. Was the only thing that matched up to my alarm going off and my ipod locked up ???
Ipad reset and all back to normal again.

Dave

My favourite bit of the whole episode was talking to the American bloke on the Apple help line. I gave him the serial number so he could check the age of it etc, and his response was "Wow man, that's a seriously vintage bit of kit"! Mrs A bought it to replace a white MK 2 which was stolen at a gig - in November 2006. I have underpants older than that - which I guess are equally 'seriously vintage'.

This is interesting, I'll be keeping a close eye on this topic :)
I've been using an 80 GB iPod Classic extensively, mostly in my car (hooked to a Parrot MK9200i carkit with an iPod connector, SD cardreader, USB in and mini-jack in) or in my company van (hooked to a iPod USB-to-mini-jack cable - I hate going from the headphone output to a line input) nowadays and I would hate it dying on me. They're still selling the current 160 GB version, but I would hate having to spend 250 euros on a new one.

Update for interested parties.

Mrs a posted it Special Delivery on Monday and I received an email at 0800 today saying it had been received and would be worked on ASAP.

Just got another email confirming that the work is done and it will be collected at 5pm today for return by Royal Mail Special Delivery.

Very good comms - let's see how it goes when it gets here!

As an antidote to iPods, last year I took a deep breath and dived into the smartphone world. I went for an HTC One+ or some such name. Anyway the upside is 64GB solid state memory most of which is free to use. Better than most of them at the time, but that was a whole year ago so I'm guessing things have moved on...

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1386790621' post='2304667']
As an antidote to iPods, last year I took a deep breath and dived into the smartphone world. I went for an HTC One+ or some such name. Anyway the upside is 64GB solid state memory most of which is free to use. Better than most of them at the time, but that was a whole year ago so I'm guessing things have moved on...
[/quote]

That's still pretty huge in smartphone terms.

Personally I prefer having separate smartphone and mp3 player. My 30 GB mp3 is full now, so I have been looking at the ipod classics. They're really expensive when you compare them to just putting a huge memory card in a phone though :-(

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1386842536' post='2305144']
Personally I prefer having separate smartphone and mp3 player. My 30 GB mp3 is full now, so I have been looking at the ipod classics. They're really expensive when you compare them to just putting a huge memory card in a phone though :-(
[/quote]

I also have an iPod Nano mk3 for the gym.

So, now that I have had the chance to update the returned iPod, I can say that it works beautifully, the turnaround time was excellent - back out in a day, and the service very professional from start to finish : easy to use website, excellent updates sent regularly, and top quality packaging.

One minor niggle - that it had been formatted for Mac - but not an issue really.

Thoroughly impressed and an unreserved recommendation.